Can you select single individual limbs?

MeatHead_2010MeatHead_2010 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

So I want to have a scene where M4 is wearing one single glove. I want to do this by changing the texture on one of their hands so they look like they have on a white glove. Thing is I select M4's _SkinHand in the surfaces tab and do so. It works but trouble is both the hands have changed when I only wanted 1 hand to change textures. Is there a way to only do the 1 hand? I checked to see if there was any sub menu's but it seems now.

This is with Daz 3 by the way.

Thx.

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Because you're not actually using a product to form the glove, the best route to accomplish this would probably be to directly edit the texture (E.g., make a copy, paint the hand in question white, and apply that to the diffuse channel instead of the non-edited texture) on the SkinHand surface.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited September 2012

Use the Polygon Group Editor to select the polygons of the hand you want and make a new surface out of that. Then apply your changes to that surface.

To make this easier, turn off the visibility of all the other surfaces of the figure, switch the PGE selection mode to rectangular, and then drag-select a big box over the hand you want to change.

Post edited by cwichura on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    Use the Polygon Group Editor to select the polygons of the hand you want and make a new surface out of that. Then apply your changes to that surface.

To make this easier, turn off the visibility of all the other surfaces of the figure, switch the PGE selection mode to rectangular, and then drag-select a big box over the hand you want to change.

I don't think there is a polygon group editor in DS3.

• MeatHead_2010MeatHead_2010 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    Because you're not actually using a product to form the glove, the best route to accomplish this would probably be to directly edit the texture (E.g., make a copy, paint the hand in question white, and apply that to the diffuse channel instead of the non-edited texture) on the SkinHand surface.

k sorry can you please guide me through on this? I kind of confused what to do exactly.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    I don't think there is a polygon group editor in DS3.

Ah, I missed his DS3 comment. Sorry about that. I take the PGE pretty much for granted, since I use it in at least a third of my renders these days, if not more.
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:

k sorry can you please guide me through on this? I kind of confused what to do exactly.

What Adam means is for you to find the actual texture that is used on M4, take a copy of it into a paint program like Photoshop or Gimp, (free) and paint one of the hands white.

The baisc texture used on M4 for the limbs can be found at Runtime\Textures\DAZ\Characters\MilMan\M4 and it is called M4Smpl_limbs.jpg

• MeatHead_2010MeatHead_2010 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:

What Adam means is for you to find the actual texture that is used on M4, take a copy of it into a paint program like Photoshop or Gimp, (free) and paint one of the hands white.

The baisc texture used on M4 for the limbs can be found at Runtime\Textures\DAZ\Characters\MilMan\M4 and it is called M4Smpl_limbs.jpg

K thanks but can you tell me after that's done how can I put it back onto his hand?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You simply apply it through the Diffuse channel in the Surfaces tab, in the same way as the original. That is why you should use a 'copy' of the texture, then when you save it, it will not overwrite the original one. You use the whole texture, and just change the part that you want changed, in your case just the one hand.