New way of doing the Genisys models

i had an idea for a wile now about the next genisys models and how you need to buy all the diffrent figures for them, yes you can morph them but what if each hand crafted figure was just a set of morphs that you can see and tweak to your liking. what i mean is lets say you like viki 4 but she needs work to use all the new stuff well with the new genisys you would just apply her shap and it would move the morph dials to how she looks. in this way you can make any one you can imagen. i would like to know what everyone else thinks as i think this would be a good step to true customization and unifitting clothing/accesories as you would only need to support the base shape and all the morphs.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Isn't that how Genesis already works?

• Yes, you can look at this page for more information on how Genesis figures work.

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3

• no it's not if you read carfully genesis dose not work like that well it sorta dose but not to what i am saying. genesis works by having a base shape that is technaccly a morph but the problem is this how can you tell what eye morphs a figure is using? the answere is you can't. why do you think you have a morph bundle where you get morphs like breasts, eyes and face. now what i am saying is what if you spent money on a character that has all the morphs to make any character like micheal 1 with out having to load a pre-made shape. tell me this with the gen 2 morph packs can you make Aiko 6? or even viki 6? what i want is when you use the character slider you see the morphs it uses not just have a shape that i can't edit with out using some other program.

The problem is that the characters are not just dial-spinning of existing morphs, they're custom sculpts.

• my point exactly what if they were all dial-spinning instead would that not give you better fredom ganted you have that now but you see what i mean?

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited February 2016

There are.  You can get morph packs.  There are ones that Daz makes and ones made by the PAs.  You can even use these on morph dials on any of the characters to change them more unique for your needs.  

Also, the base figure is not a morph.  It is the base off of what all else is based on, morphs whether parts like eyes, breasts, full heads, full bodies or otherwise.  There is really no difference between what you're asking for and what the figure already does.

The main difference is that many of the morphs, especially when full characters, are accomplished not by spinning dials, but by sculpting them in a program such as ZBrush.  Still, you can further change it by using available parameters in various morph packs.

So you can create a fully new character by spinning only dials, or by using characters, or by using characters and making them different with spinning dials.  :)

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • true but i feel the morphs are still lacking in stuff but it's hard to say what. what you have said is what i already know but if everything was dial based you could concevably make any human being you wanted. right now tho it would be difficualt for me to make my self in 3d just useing morphs. wile it would look good to truly make me i would be to sculpt it and thats what i am trying to say it wile sculpted characters are fine having them represent dials and perhaps dials for there spasiffic changes not just head morph/body morph but have things seperated out that way if you do not want the complete face then why should you have it, right?

• Not actually, you might not make you exactly, but there are enough morphs out there that will probably bring you pretty close.  And yes, sculpting would be more accurate, but again, that would be about the skill of the sculptor.  If you look around the galleries, however, you will see people who have been able to use morphs and/or sculpt to make figures that bear good resemblance to actors and recognizable people.  That only takes you halfway, though.  The other half is textures.  If I have a model that looks exactly like a particular actor, but put textures on that model that have no resemblance to how the actor looks in terms of coloring, brows, skin details; it won't exactly look like the actor anymore.

As far why have characters...if that is what you are saying...rather than dials, is because some people want that.  They like the face and body sculpted by the artist.  A good percentage of people never change the base figure or Victoria 7 or Michael 7 or any character they purchase.   Not because they can't, but because they like the figure as is.  There are others that want to add some uniqueness, they start with the base and spin dials or add more to a character as said before.  Then there is that percentage that wants something so specific they sculpt it.

I'm trying to understand what exactly you're after that you don't think you can do now.  Maybe if you give a specific example?

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    Gordon228 said:

my point exactly what if they were all dial-spinning instead would that not give you better fredom ganted you have that now but you see what i mean?

I think if a vendor created characters solely on dial spinning, they'd have a harder time getting sales since the user would know they can achieve the same character on their own just by spinning pre-made dials. At that point, a vendor may as well just stop including a character and just sell textures only.

• i get what you all saying and having everything be dials so you have a vast number of thing is not good but having it that you still get the sculpted look but have the face/body broken up so you have morphs for viki's eye, mout, nose, cheacks, ect, ect. it means you can still get the sculpted look but also if people do not like a feature of a model they do not need to have it. lets say you like the eyes, mouth, and cheeks of aiko 6 but like everything else of viki 6 how would you do that? the answer you can't atm but what i am suggesting allows for that to happen also it allows for a ton of diffrent nationalitys to be represented as generic morphs for all the stuff i have siad in this post. so you could have say 5 diffrent african morphs for each section and then make a character thats diffrent then the basic affrican morphs and have a skin to go with that thus giving a sculpth with texture but also haveing the fredom to pick and coose what thy like of the models. yes there will be a dial that adds all the stuff of a character. that just makes sense.

That sounds like dozens of separate morphs for a single product, which all need to be tested in different combinations.  I don't think that's really feasible in most cases.

• Gordon228 said:

i get what you all saying and having everything be dials so you have a vast number of thing is not good but having it that you still get the sculpted look but have the face/body broken up so you have morphs for viki's eye, mout, nose, cheacks, ect, ect. it means you can still get the sculpted look but also if people do not like a feature of a model they do not need to have it. lets say you like the eyes, mouth, and cheeks of aiko 6 but like everything else of viki 6 how would you do that? the answer you can't atm but what i am suggesting allows for that to happen also it allows for a ton of diffrent nationalitys to be represented as generic morphs for all the stuff i have siad in this post. so you could have say 5 diffrent african morphs for each section and then make a character thats diffrent then the basic affrican morphs and have a skin to go with that thus giving a sculpth with texture but also haveing the fredom to pick and coose what thy like of the models. yes there will be a dial that adds all the stuff of a character. that just makes sense.

I think I get what you're asking for, and your best option is the Body and Face morph packs for whichever base figure you're using. Those give you things like eye shapes and such. While the thought of having characters that have broken down morphs so you can dial in the eye shape without the rest of the sculpt sounds handy, I can guess it'd be quite difficult to make.

But if I don't like Victoria 6's features for example, the head morphs for Genesis 2 female allow me to reshape them. One thing that might be missed is that you can often dial to a negative to 'undo' features that seem to be part of a character. It may not be as effective as it would be if there were a specific 'Aiko's Eye Shape' for example, but it can be useful for customizing a character to your purpose.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

And don't forget...even if there is a complete character, it is usually a separate head morph and body morph.  And those can be dialed in from nothing to full...AND...mixed with any/all existing morphs.

• Gordon228 said:

i get what you all saying and having everything be dials so you have a vast number of thing is not good but having it that you still get the sculpted look but have the face/body broken up so you have morphs for viki's eye, mout, nose, cheacks, ect, ect. it means you can still get the sculpted look but also if people do not like a feature of a model they do not need to have it. lets say you like the eyes, mouth, and cheeks of aiko 6 but like everything else of viki 6 how would you do that? the answer you can't atm but what i am suggesting allows for that to happen also it allows for a ton of diffrent nationalitys to be represented as generic morphs for all the stuff i have siad in this post. so you could have say 5 diffrent african morphs for each section and then make a character thats diffrent then the basic affrican morphs and have a skin to go with that thus giving a sculpth with texture but also haveing the fredom to pick and coose what thy like of the models. yes there will be a dial that adds all the stuff of a character. that just makes sense.

I think I get what you're asking for, and your best option is the Body and Face morph packs for whichever base figure you're using. Those give you things like eye shapes and such. While the thought of having characters that have broken down morphs so you can dial in the eye shape without the rest of the sculpt sounds handy, I can guess it'd be quite difficult to make.

But if I don't like Victoria 6's features for example, the head morphs for Genesis 2 female allow me to reshape them. One thing that might be missed is that you can often dial to a negative to 'undo' features that seem to be part of a character. It may not be as effective as it would be if there were a specific 'Aiko's Eye Shape' for example, but it can be useful for customizing a character to your purpose.

good points but as for it being hard to make a character like that i think it would be easy. how else would you have the morph's pack. seeing as i am not character sculpter i would not know.

• After reading all you comment, Gordon228, yep, you're right, in more than 10 years of using DazStudio and creating beautiful custom characters for my pleasure style of rendering I never could make a resemblance morph like Sayumi Michishige in all this years due to broken morphs in nose and eyes.

I will give a reward of $15.29 USD in paypal mode if somebody can do that.

• After reading all you comment, Gordon228, yep, you're right, in more than 10 years of using DazStudio and creating beautiful custom characters for my pleasure style of rendering I never could make a resemblance morph like Sayumi Michishige in all this years due to broken morphs in nose and eyes.

I think the morph could be done, but you'd need the right textures.

Gordon, I think for the better part, what you want can be achieved with morphs available for purchase and free.  You also don't have to sculpt to make some morphs.  You could learn to use DFormers in Daz.  Those can be saved as morph assets as well.

It seems you just want to be able to make characters using various dials and you can do that.  Will it be perfect?  Maybe, maybe not.  But lots are achievable and can come close.  Often they will seem to be more a carcature of the person and that is becasue people in real life are asymmetrical and the 3D figures, for the most part are symmetrical.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

The tricky part off individual eye(s), nose and mouth morphs is to not have them conflict with each other.  The zones of polygons for the parts would have to be assigned and these zone must not over lap.  Furthermore the zones would need a buffer zone of polys between them to prevent edges from bunching up causing sharp creases in the face.  Finally so morph packs from different vendors would not conflict all these zones would have to be standardized and who is going to that?

I think the morph could be done, but you'd need the right textures.

texture is no problem, any white skin with little make up will do fine.

the offer is still active. cool

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

After reading all you comment, Gordon228, yep, you're right, in more than 10 years of using DazStudio and creating beautiful custom characters for my pleasure style of rendering I never could make a resemblance morph like Sayumi Michishige in all this years due to broken morphs in nose and eyes.

Beautiful but I think the nose and eyes wouldn't be as difficult as the mouth and teeth and that way of smiling she does. DAZ 3D should probaby add fat pad morphs under the lower eyeslids. Many Irish, Oriental have exaggerated ones and most others in the world have them to some degree or another. It's a very useful thing when trying to create a convincing smile. 

Beautiful but I think the nose and eyes wouldn't be as difficult as the mouth and teeth and that way of smiling she does. DAZ 3D should probaby add fat pad morphs under the lower eyeslids. Many Irish, Oriental have exaggerated ones and most others in the world have them to some degree or another. It's a very useful thing when trying to create a convincing smile. 

I tried again viewing your points of perspective, no luck again but I got a Philipine girl instead a japanese ultra cute girl. crying 

Sayumi is impossible to clone.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited February 2016

After reading all you comment, Gordon228, yep, you're right, in more than 10 years of using DazStudio and creating beautiful custom characters for my pleasure style of rendering I never could make a resemblance morph like Sayumi Michishige in all this years due to broken morphs in nose and eyes.

I tried again viewing your points of perspective, no luck again but I got a Philipine girl instead a japanese ultra cute girl. crying 

Sayumi is impossible to clone.

If you try their FaceGen Artist product that might help but it may be you don't want to pay for a product to do that. I tried demo of it once does do OK but it's mostly depending on getting good pictures of the subject.

[link removed]

Post edited by fixmypcmike on