Inspired by Mucha

OverdrawnOverdrawn Posts: 561
edited February 2016 in Art Studio

Hi all.

I've begun a series of Mucha-based poses which I intend to expand to matching figures. The first one, Summer from Mucha's 1900's "The Seasons" series of posters (which I've included in the render):

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/106332

I'm studying Mucha's (and similar) work for my own "over drawn" art style (as yet in the making...), but along the way I wanted to get feedback on this approach and if anyone else might be interested in the "output" that's getting generated--custom figures and poses mostly, but perhaps some backgrounds and environments eventually.

Feedback is very welcome as I'm learning my way around this new world. :)

Thanks!

Post edited by Overdrawn on

Comments

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653

Are you also goning to do the hairs as well?

• At this point, no, as that's beyond the realm of my skill set presently. I'll at least try and find in expensive hair sets to use on the renders... for myself and others. :)

I know I would sure love to see how this turns out as you have made a great start with the posing

you should post the render here though

• Good call. Still learning how things are "done" here. ^_^ Appreciate it!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2016

Not wanting to be too critcal, as you are just starting out, but you will need to work on your posing to get close  to the typical Mucha poses.

I know, from trying it myself a time or too, the they are not easy to do.  The upper part of the torso tends to lean backwards, and usually Mucha's models are plumper. not modern day model figures.

This was one I tried.

Mucha 1.png
    629 x 642 - 225K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Thanks for the critique, Chohole! You're absolutely right on both counts: the figures are not "modern day" and they tend to be incredibly more flexible than the "limits on" defaults will allow. V6's neck is already a bit torqued more than she's used to in the render I posted. It's a tricky balance...

I'm going to start first doing a pose set for existing figures--probably G2F and V6 to start--and then (as time allows) make matching Mucha-friendly figures. My Tamar figure is not too far off the map in that regard, actually--a bit more "strong jawed" though. We'll see. :)

I greatly appreciate the input and time from you both! Thanks!

• you should post the render here though

I edited the initial post. That approach OK?

I am always glad to try helping someone who want to think "outside the box" so to speak.  I love anything Historical, even if it's is very modern history.  Posing is not really my forte, but I do try.

• I thought the hands in your render looked especially great, actually. :) Thanks again for the feedback.

edited February 2016

BTW   the dress I used is this one, just in case you are interested.  http://www.daz3d.com/essence-for-genesis

I used the Poser version for V4, but it is the same dress for both. I didn't really do the dress justice.

The other Mucha inspired dress I have is a freebie, but Poser dynamic only. THere is an image of it on page 14 of my site, right down the bottom.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Oh, awesome! Thanks! /me adds to wishlist for next time I'm a PC+ member... ;)

• XaatXuunXaatXuun Posts: 871

One thing that draw me to was the forearm,  the portrait , the model in there looks like  the forearm are turned/twisted in, where your model looks turned/twisted out

• XaatXuum, yeah...that's definitely getting addressed in my next pass on this. I'm also trying to see if I can get that forearm muscle tense/showing as it does in the Mucha piece. I'm not sure if V6 (on her own) is up to the task. I'll be finding out, though, for certain!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I think you are off to a good start!

• Here's the most recent pose (a bit grainy again...sorry). This one is Autumn from the 1900 poster set.

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/107485

• Overdrawn, I don't know if you are aware of Canary3d's Art Nouveau Fun Kit which seems to cover similar ground to this.  I just did a search in the store for "Mucha", and up it came.

• Cayman, great find! No idea why my search didn't bring that up... The poses I'm working on are planned to be specific poses from specific pieces. However, I'm realizing I may be the only one who cares on the end. ;) I'm still going to finish these and see if they're of interest to the editors. It'll be worth it for my learning Daz if nothing else. :)
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    Overdrawn said:

Here's the most recent pose (a bit grainy again...sorry). This one is Autumn from the 1900 poster set.

She needs, maybe, about 10 lbs...cheeks/face...not so much in the hips.

• mjc1016, agreed. Currently this is just a completely unmodified Victoria 6. Pondering if I should redo these with V7 or G3F or just add G2F as a "fallback." Conversations on other threads seem to say that Victoria-based products sell better than straight Genesis 2 or 3 based things. Thoughts?
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Yes, character specific ones do better than ones for the base models, with Vx/Mx being the best for the characters (although there are others like Aiko/Girlx that also tend to do well, too).