How to keeping consistent DOF on a moving character

qbfijiqbfiji Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi there,

I’m trying to keep a consistent depth of field on a character that is moving but I’m doing it unsuccessfully. Is there a way I can lock settings on an particular object? Once I move the camera my character is out of focus.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

qbfiji said:
    Hi there,

I’m trying to keep a consistent depth of field on a character that is moving but I’m doing it unsuccessfully. Is there a way I can lock settings on an particular object? Once I move the camera my character is out of focus.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I think you position the camera as you want it; then parent it to whatever it's to be staying at that distance from [i.e. the head].
    Then you do not move the camera!
    You can 'look through the camera' and record action through the camera ... but you move the figure. For checking/seeing the other angles of the character and/or scene; use a different camera.

My advice would come under the classification of "any" as I normally render stills ... hope it helps though.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

There are a number of factors that affect DOF, and one of them is Camera to Subject Distance. If you try what Patience55 has said, by parenting the camera to the subject, or using a null, that should keep th distance constant which is what is needed. If you cannot do that for some reason, then you would need to adjust some of the other factors like the focal length of the lense, and the aperture, both of which also have an effect on DOF.