Lost a render!!

I had been running a render in iRay for some hours. I didn't notice it had actually finished and hit "Close" in error. The whole render was lost before I could save it! DAMN!

They really need to add a "are you sure" feature... everything else has this. 

(now I have to render the whole scene again!)

Comments

• I find when my PC is doing a particularly intensive render that neither the close nor the cancel buttons seem to work anyway. Daz Studio just becomes unresponsive until the render is finished or Windows decides the process needs to be kicked out. I'd consider the fact that close actually works on your machine to be a bonus ;)

• Sertorial said:

I had been running a render in iRay for some hours. I didn't notice it had actually finished and hit "Close" in error. The whole render was lost before I could save it! DAMN!

No, it isn't lost (yet) — depending on what you normally mean by "save a render". I know there are save controls for the Render Library at the bottom of the render window, but I've never used them. Go to the File menu at the top of the D|S window, and select Save Last Render. Note that this only saves the most recent render, if you start a new render, the previous one is discarded.

It's important to remember that DAZ|Studio is extremely flexible in how it does pretty much everything — I can't think of a single function that has only one One True Way™ that must be followed precisely.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    Sertorial said:

They really need to add a "are you sure" feature... everything else has this. 

(now I have to render the whole scene again!)

As stated, you haven't lost anything if the render was done, you're good with the Save Last Render. Congrats! 

• ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 748
    edited February 2016

Also: you can always find your last render(s) back in the render album pane (different from the render library pane), even if you didn't save it. I find the album easier because it also allows you to copy the render to your clipboard (right click) which makes moving it around quite easy.

Edit: If you double click a render whilst in the album you'll open the render editor. Although it's not a substitute for, say, IrfanView where options are concerned, it is an awesome tool to apply some gentle adjustments. The render overlay is really awesome feature to make some special stuff.

Post edited by ShelLuser on
  • SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    Sertorial said:

No, it isn't lost (yet) — depending on what you normally mean by "save a render". I know there are save controls for the Render Library at the bottom of the render window, but I've never used them. Go to the File menu at the top of the D|S window, and select Save Last Render. Note that this only saves the most recent render, if you start a new render, the previous one is discarded.

you've got to be kidding me!!

*rolleyes*

Oh well, at least I know now!

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

You don't always have to save with Save Last Render the file to fetch it. Look here:

C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\render

The file won't appear until the render is finished, or you cancel. The file is deleted when you quit D|S normally, but should still be there if the program crashes. Retrieve the file BEFORE you restart D|S.

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,024
    Tobor said:

You don't always have to save with Save Last Render the file to fetch it. Look here:

The file won't appear until the render is finished, or you cancel. The file is deleted when you quit D|S normally, but should still be there if the program crashes. Retrieve the file BEFORE you restart D|S.

Thank you! I thought I lost the render, since even though I clicked on saved and it closed, it hadn't saved. But I found it here!

• Causam3DCausam3D Posts: 193

It's important to remember that DAZ|Studio is extremely flexible in how it does pretty much everything — I can't think of a single function that has only one One True Way™ that must be followed precisely.

What are you smoking, and why aren't you sharing?

• AnitaLeeAnitaLee Posts: 41

I had a render going for 3 hours, it looked great so I hit cancel so I could save it.  I then went to the internet for a second, got distracted and closed Daz without saving on accident.  My render is lost, have to re-do it.  So annoyed, this is clearly a program flaw.  Why would it remove the render file completely if you close DAZ with no way to recover it, why did it even let me close without saying hey, dont you want to save this?  I have no understanding of the purpose of even having a save last render button if it does not work if I close the program, why else would I use it????  Very annoyed right now.  I have been rendering for 16 years, was the first time I closed the program on accident like that

• Similar problem.

I had an image rendering for couple of hourse. Suddenly boom, power failure. I restard Daz Studio.

1. Save last render is greyed out
    2. There is nothing in the render album pane
    3. There is no "C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\render" folder
      1. ​There is a ... temp\RenderAlbumtmp folder, it's empty

It is not super important this time for me. I just render it again. But I would like to know it there is a solution to this problem. So I know when I have a very long render going on.

Thanks for answering :)

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,148

If you've been rendering when DS fails for whatever reason, then do not restart DS! Go look for the temp folder first, copy the render to a place of greater safety, then restart DS.

• Solution against power failures => battery backup units, invaluable ;-) They include power surge protection, just be sure plugs are all in the correct slots.

• Sertorial said:

Bless you!

• DarkendDarkend Posts: 20
    Tobor said:

Not sure how to thank you. Was just about to finish a 35k multiple-day render and I thought, what the hell, I'll just go do something for a few min and then sav- power out! Restarted PC, and sure enough, this method will work even if the pc is restarted. I was dreadding redoing it.

• I'd just like to say 'save last render' always appears greyed out for me, and that nothing ever saves to the temp folder. I've lost too many renders like this it is very frustrating. And it freezes up and whites out so I can't even take a screenshot. The renders look perfect and I lose it because the program won't respond. My renders don't even have that much in them. It is completely random - I could have a very complicated scene which renders out fine and another scene very simple that freezes and dies. Very awful when rendering all day long only to not be able to save it. Especially with a deadline on a contest!

=( Any advice?! I could use some help, if there are any other ways of saving a render in these awful situations.

• katywhite said:

I'd just like to say 'save last render' always appears greyed out for me, and that nothing ever saves to the temp folder. I've lost too many renders like this it is very frustrating. And it freezes up and whites out so I can't even take a screenshot. The renders look perfect and I lose it because the program won't respond. My renders don't even have that much in them. It is completely random - I could have a very complicated scene which renders out fine and another scene very simple that freezes and dies. Very awful when rendering all day long only to not be able to save it. Especially with a deadline on a contest!

=( Any advice?! I could use some help, if there are any other ways of saving a render in these awful situations.

Which render engine are you using?

• @Richard Haseltine

I'm using Iray.

• Hmm, it works with Iray for me. try using Edit>Preferences to chnage the location of your Temp folder and then try rendering again.

• @Richard Haseltine

Thanks, I'll give that a shot and if it crashes again I'll see if it goes there.:)