Animation exercises to try.

2»

Comments

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
    edited February 2016

3dage, Thanks and you are correct.

Here is the next exercise or next 2 combined into one.  The simple head turn + head turn with anticipation.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Post edited by mmoir on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224

Very true when you hear people say that animation is a subject you never stop learning for or from. 

Not entirely related, I've joined that class from NORWICH UNIVERSITY OF THE ARTS (NUA): VISUAL EFFECTS FOR GUERRILLA FILMMAKERS, which is off to a pretty interesting start. This exercise was a simple tracking procedure, the flame and sparks are not actually in the original photography, which was made with specific lighting to simulate the flare in his hand. So we take the footage of the flare flames and a separate footage of the sparks, and composite them to the original clip. 

Here is my first homework assignment completed

So far I'm liking Fusion more than HitFilm, but we'll see how I feel as this busy class progresses. 

Nice job on this Dart, it looks well done.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224
    edited February 2016
    mmoir said:

Nice job on this Dart, it looks well done.

Thanks, Mike. ;)

HitFilm 3 Express did most of the work for me, but it still requires someone on the other end whom knows what to do! LOL

EDIT - It really isn't "Automatic", but the tools are most helpful!

This class is pretty cool. It's geared towards VFX for "film", and I think I'm the only CG animator in the class, but all of this is just as useful for what I do as it is for actual film footage. Since getting into Fusion (very recently) I'm increasing my own productivity in big ways by planning ahead and anticipating how to set up scenes as separate layers (HitFilm) or nodes (Fusion), having all of that flexibility to composite them all together afterwards. The day before joining this class I've started working up a tutorial video which demonstrates my workflow. It's pretty cool. Truthfully, I was already doing a lot of this, but doing it all within Carrara, which is pretty decent for compositing. But Fusion's real time feedback is immensely useful. So Carrara is my 3D department and Fusion/HitFilm does the compositing and VFX, etc.,

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    mmoir said:

Hey all,

Here is the Flour Sac model for people to use to do these animation exercises.  I will call him "Frankie" for now.  Frankie is rigged with bones but also has a couple of control rings as well, I don't know how well he will animate but it should give you something to start with. Here is the file and an image of Frankie.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/asfo7r7wfy6pozr/FlourSacRigged1.car?dl=0

Enjoyed your animations. The Flour Sac looks similar to one shown in the "Disney Studio" 2d animation software I played with quite a few years ago.

edited February 2016

Here is my "Thinking" animation video, 2 different attempts.

wgdjohn, I think Disney's Flour Sac was the reference image I used to model from,

<iframe width="420" height="315" src=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Post edited by mmoir on
    edited February 2016

This is my last exercise with the Flour Sac "jumping' . 

Post edited by mmoir on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

mmoir - great work on these!

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    mmoir said:

Looking good... watched each one of yours... nice work on each.

mmoir said:

wgdjohn, I think Disney's Flour Sac was the reference image I used to model from,

Brought back memories of a very good introduction into animation from the masters of 2D animation... which of course applies to 3D also.

Hey... two more to go and it's time to take on Level 2... I copied all the levels but haven't started any yet.

Thanks Phil W and wgdjohn,

Wgdjohn,  I was hoping other people would try and do some of these exercises as well so I look forward to yours.      

wgdjohn said:
    mmoir said:

Looking good... watched each one of yours... nice work on each.

mmoir said:

Brought back memories of a very good introduction into animation from the masters of 2D animation... which of course applies to 3D also.

Hey... two more to go and it's time to take on Level 2... I copied all the levels but haven't started any yet.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I will be trying them as soon as I finnish going through your walk cycle tutorial and re looking at PhilW's animation parts in the intro to Carrara.

edited February 2016

Okay, here is the last 2 exercises of the First level of exercises. Frankie Waving and kicking a ball.

Chickenman, I look forward to your animations . 

Ooops, I forgot the "Flour sac falling" exercise.

Post edited by mmoir on

Okay, Here is the last exercise of level 1.  The Flour Sac Falling.

mmoir said:

Okay, Here is the last exercise of level 1.  The Flour Sac Falling.

It doesn't seem to play gets a DNS error but the one above works.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Hehe. FORE!!!!

now it plays