can render straight to disk?

can speed it up rendering straight to disk?

Thanks. smiley

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

HI Misty :)

Do you mean saving as a named file (movie or image sequence),. that's the only way i can think of as "Straight to disk",.

the render time for each frame, or image is the same,. but by rendering a sequence each frame is saved (as a numbered image file) after it's rendered,.

Movies are an encoded format,. so,.each new frame has to be added to the file, after it's been rendered.

I always render animations as an image Sequence, then I can load that into a video editor / compositor / or photo editor,. for post processing,.. or export as a movie file.

There's no real speed advantage, (each frame takes as long as each frame takes to render). but there is the ability to "restart" a sequence of images from wherever you stopped,. or if the program crashed.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited February 2016

rendering straight to disk, was meaning not rendering on the screen. smiley  thanks. smiley

Post edited by Mistara on
  • You could minimise it if you need your graphics I guess

but since using CPU not gonna make much difference if you see it or not

is like the ass room that uses openGL to spot render and is limited by your card or lack of one not reflecting the final render result. I never used it on my old laptop as a quick render in render room faster!

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373

you mite look into batch rendering

bryce has render to disk. and ds/3de for single image, not sure how it works with animation.

batch rendering a mystery. 

this lovely i5 quadcore could be rendering for me over the weekends.  if batch will keep rendering if this pc goes to sleep?

i'm thinking of ugrading my sony platinum to suite 13.  says win7 64-bit, not sure that means running in 64-bit. it mentions mpeg4 avc.  we still waiting on 64bit quicktime?

don't know if it's possible, would like to render out avi in 5-10 second slices.  can batch render use the same file, but different frame ranges?  or would i have to save multiple copies of the same file for each frame slice?  just don't know enough.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

When you add a scene in the batch queue, you can modify the parameters without changing the original file, these new parameters stays when you resume a paused render.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    DUDU said:

When you add a scene in the batch queue, you can modify the parameters without changing the original file, these new parameters stays when you resume a paused render.

Some of the parameters are things like the camera so you can render from the same scene with a different camera, Still veses animation or any of the options in the render window.

You can also have different files that it will open do the rendering and then close and move onto the next file.

Batch rendering is also the way that you can utilize the network rendering and have more than one computer rendering the same animation file. The second computer just needs the render node software installed and all of the content that is utilized in the scenes. I have a network shared drive that all my content is on and both machines point to that drive so I know they will have the requied content.

edited February 2016

Thanks! smiley

as a test i set the batch render to use this same file twice. so far so good.

the 2nd set frames as 2 - 4 seconds.
    for the 1st one, trying to set the end time to avoid the frame at 2 seconds to render twice.
    it won't let me set the milliseconds to above :29.
    prolly cuz my fps is 30. fuzzy logic, would've expected 59.  . 

Ohhhh  if i set the time in the assembly room to fps instead of time, it changes on the output screen to number of frames, instead of seconds.  is awesome. like so much easier.

8 batch render.JPG
    1117 x 641 - 89K
    8 fps.JPG
    867 x 63 - 18K
    8 this is easier.JPG
    288 x 198 - 17K
    DUDU said:

Some of the parameters are things like the camera so you can render from the same scene with a different camera, Still veses animation or any of the options in the render window.

You can also have different files that it will open do the rendering and then close and move onto the next file.

Batch rendering is also the way that you can utilize the network rendering and have more than one computer rendering the same animation file. The second computer just needs the render node software installed and all of the content that is utilized in the scenes. I have a network shared drive that all my content is on and both machines point to that drive so I know they will have the requied content.

i'm a lil afraid of the node rendering now, was a thread someone was seeing artifacts in the node render.  

... can't find the thread again to see if it was solved.

Here is a link to my daughters youtube video it was all rendered in the node renderer no artifacts I can see, but that could just be me. It was rendered on two machines one an i7 16 GB RAM and one an AMD quad core 8 GB RAM. I node render quite often if i need to get someting done quickly

The big thing is to use the batch renderer as it can open the CAR files one at a time and render then open the next and render so you don't need to babysit it.

can batch render write all the clips to one avi file?

was gonna buy the plat13 suite, cant decide if i should wait and save up for the vegas, or wait longer and save up for finalcut pro?http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiopp/compare

thanks smiley

the sony sound effects library another 900 bucks >.<

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,233
    MistyMist said:

was gonna buy the plat13 suite, cant decide if i should wait and save up for the vegas, or wait longer and save up for finalcut pro?http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiopp/compare

thanks smiley

Nope. Each line in the queue must have its own save.

Personally, I would advise going for the lesser expensive options as they have plenty to offer as you practice. It all does take practice and the cheaper Sony movie editor operates like Vegas,(because it is in the Vegas family) but with less of the pro options that you likely won't be using when you first start out. Your call. 

The nice part about starting with the economy version is that it doesn't take nearly as much learning. Pro software is geared more towards those whom know what they're doing - the econo versions are made more towards teaching hobbyists and newcomers. Sony is constantly offering upgrade discounts anyways.

========================================================

On a side note, I've spent years upon years practicing on how to make renders faster. So faster was simple. Super slow was simple. So I've practiced and studied hard on optimizing materials and lights with render settings to find my comfort zone. That's why a lot of my renders might seem a bit less spectacular as still images when you see them in these forums, but those are often just test frames of an animation. In the animation, which requires that faster rendering for me, those images look pretty good, I think. Then I can go in and add post effects and such.

The Batch Queue is the secret tool.

I'll add several cameras to each animated scene and load that same file into Batch Queue once for each camera for different angles of the same action. Load up several of these for when I cannot sit at my computer, or when I can just go and hang out here, on this little laptop. Then just fire up the render room and let that batch queue render away. Works like a charm!

Here is a link to my daughters youtube video it was all rendered in the node renderer no artifacts I can see, but that could just be me. It was rendered on two machines one an i7 16 GB RAM and one an AMD quad core 8 GB RAM. I node render quite often if i need to get someting done quickly

Cool video! Your daughter done good! :)

I've really been getting into Fusion, thanks to you mentioning it, and have a good bit of tutorial lists for it on my YouTube channel if you're ever interested.

edited February 2016
    MistyMist said:

thanks smiley

Nope. Each line in the queue must have its own save.

Personally, I would advise going for the lesser expensive options as they have plenty to offer as you practice. It all does take practice and the cheaper Sony movie editor operates like Vegas,(because it is in the Vegas family) but with less of the pro options that you likely won't be using when you first start out. Your call. 

The nice part about starting with the economy version is that it doesn't take nearly as much learning. Pro software is geared more towards those whom know what they're doing - the econo versions are made more towards teaching hobbyists and newcomers. Sony is constantly offering upgrade discounts anyways.

========================================================

On a side note, I've spent years upon years practicing on how to make renders faster. So faster was simple. Super slow was simple. So I've practiced and studied hard on optimizing materials and lights with render settings to find my comfort zone. That's why a lot of my renders might seem a bit less spectacular as still images when you see them in these forums, but those are often just test frames of an animation. In the animation, which requires that faster rendering for me, those images look pretty good, I think. Then I can go in and add post effects and such.

The Batch Queue is the secret tool.

I'll add several cameras to each animated scene and load that same file into Batch Queue once for each camera for different angles of the same action. Load up several of these for when I cannot sit at my computer, or when I can just go and hang out here, on this little laptop. Then just fire up the render room and let that batch queue render away. Works like a charm!

different cameras?!  the batch queue is exciting, raising my hopes of actually finishing a project

Yup.

Carrara doesn't care how many cameras you add. So I set up an average of two per filming stage scene, plus another two to four for each main character within.

Basically, every time I create a new scene to be saved to my browser (I do this sort of work constantly - truly), I always add Film Cam 1 and Film Cam 2 within the scene.

Set the shaders up, set up the lighting and atmosphere and make sure that the spot in the scene where I want my character's action to take place is right at 0x, 0y, and 0z... I'm a big stickler on that so that I can more often keep my lighting setup for that scene - which is set up just for the scene - my actors all have their own highlight rigs of lights saved to their CAR files - then I save the scene to my browser organized by type and location according to my production - which is episodic in nature, so I need to revisit most of these sets.

When I save my characters I also have at least two cameras saved with them, with their names in the camera names for easy identification in the Batch Queue. A lot of what I do is done so that it makes it easier on myself in using the Batch Queue process - otherwise I'd likely never get anything done. Heck, I've been working on this for over five years now and nobody's seen a single episode yet. I don't think they'll be disappointed when I finally release one though... they're looking really good now! :)

Okay, so I've saved sveral dozen scenes as stages for my character's actions. These stages are all lit and each have at least two cameras. If I bring in Rosie (my Main Hero character - and Wife! ;) ) the camera count goes up by two, adding Rosie Face and Rosie Full cameras to the scene. Add in five Orcs and I've just added five more cameras, and so on. If I want to use any of those Orc cameras as a film render, I'll have to give it a more specific name. Easy enough, as I'm putting that camera in motion, I rename it to something recognizeable, like Orc Film Cam 1 (it was Orc1, by default, for example), or something.

So I go through the action in the scene and try to set up different cameras for every angle that I'd like to have as a choice in cutting my film together in the final production. If I even have sound in my render, it will NEVER show up in the final movie - as I add all of that in my movie editing software.

As I'm setting up these filming angles in my cameras, I make sure that the two Rosie cameras focus on what Rosie is doing within the scene - one as more of a close-up on her face, if possible, and the other catching almost if not all of her. If I decide that I need more Rosie action cameras, I just duplicate one of them and change the name. Then I move on to the stage's Film Cams 1 and 2 and set those up to catch an overall view of the action. If I need more, I just make them and set them up.

After getting all of my cameras set up how I want them, I "Save As" in the same location as the scene with a new desriptive name - you can save them wherever you like as long as you keep it organized. It sucks to go through all of that work and find it months later after you've already finished the film without it!

With the scene saved, I close it down and go to the Render Room. Note: Even if the scene is still open, the Batch Queue will still open the file from its location to render it - never from the assemble room.

In the Render Room, I go to the bottom and "Add" the file. With that selected in the queue, head to the render options and select the camera you want to render. At this time I count how many cameras I would like to render, and "Add" that many more copies of the same file to the queue, and set the camera output accordingly for each.

Special Note: I never actually save a render name and path in the scene file itself, because it's nigh-impossible to remove that once it's been done. Instead, I create the rendered file location and name in the Batch Queue. But that's just my method after years of practice. It always urks me when I see a stored render to location in the output tab, but it's not the end of the world. I just change it to somewhere I save my stuff and try to remember to change it when I need to.

Hope this all helps. It's exciting to see your progress in this whole Carrara trip! Rock on, Misty!

Sony Movie HD 

I'm not sure how confusing Vegas is compared to the home-owner aimed Movie HD, but that lesser expensive offering is one fantastic suite of tools for what I want to do. Lots of transitions to choose from, plenty of video/text tracks, sound/music tracks to add files to and then plenty of filters and things that we can use to further enhance what we add. 

But more importantly, I was really impressed with the built-in tutorial system. If Vegas comes with that (I think it might), and you have the extra disposable funds, I say go for it! That made learning Sony Movie HD a real treat! Fast and simple, it loads in right onto the actual interface - and can be called up even while we're in the middle of a project to help us with something we want to do, but don't know how. It'll point at what to select, and tell you what to do each step of the way... it's really smart!

Corel VideoStudio Pro X7

I also have this one. I haven't used it as much as the Sony, but I have a really nice tutorial series playlist on my YouTube channel that shows off how easy it is to work within this powerful, inexpensive software. It has a really easy-to-use screen capture facility that I use to make my YouTube tutorials. I don't think Sony has that.

You've likely seen it before... Just a Bit of Fun was my test - just grabbing whatever test render animations I had at the time - to test out Sony Movie HD before buying it.

I usually never use free trials, but I used to use Windows Movie Maker when I had Windows XP, but in Windows 7 they've switched it to Movie Maker Live, which I didn't like, and made me a little too skeptical than to just trust that I'd like it. I noticed that former forum frequent member JonnyBravo had Sony Vegas in his credits on his videos, which I liked very much, so I asked him about it and he also used the Movie HD version - which was the main deciding factor to look at Movie HD in the first place.

thanks!!  the workflow tips invaluable.  never would've occurred to me to name cameras after the character 

just learned da has a film catagory, but you have to qualify for it.
    http://help.deviantart.com/deviantfilm/

I use Pinnaccle Studio 15 but now they are upto 19.

Again a simple to use and designe for home market

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/studio/

In my daughters Package from College she has access to Adobe Priemere Pro whidh is a lot more but might have to try it.

Right. Pinnacle was in my cart at Newegg for a while until I ended up ordering my computer parts, at which time they had the Sony Movie HD Platinum collection on sale for really cheap! I also looked into the Adobe products and found them to be too confusing for what I wanted to do. I know they're awesome if that's the talent you're looking to get into, but I just wanted to be more of an animation guy and have something simple yet powerful for putting my clips together into a cohesive whole. Many of the popular (as well as less so) movie editing apps out there are pretty good and cater to different styles of getting the job done. Like I say, it depends upon how deep you want to have to get into the learning process. 

I'm about to delve into the newly free DaVinci Resolve, but it doesn't open avi files. Quicktime... no avi. So I'll have to save my avi files into sequences images to test that one, which I believe is high-end studio-level software. If the learning curve is really tough I still have Sony and Corel to get me through while I learn the higher end softy. 

Yeah, your daughter did a fine job on that. I love that ship, too. I'm a huge Phillip Drawbridge fan!

Bummer his products don't seem to be sold here any more :(

I will miss him and his cool products!

His ships were well done and rendered well.

He even went to the extend of putting in the engine lights that you can't see until you render which are awesome.

sees the corel one

Corel Photo & Video Pro X3 Bundle 
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003170HQG

it looks familiar, might have it on my old vista pc

I bought X6, upgraded to X7 Ultimate, and it's now on X8, I think.

His ships were well done and rendered well.

He even went to the extend of putting in the engine lights that you can't see until you render which are awesome.

Agreed. I really like them and wished that he was going to make Carrara versions of the Byce ships he had. Hopefully it's a temporary thing and he'll come back in with an arsenal of new ships for us!

...and there are many more that many users enjoy, like Magix Movie Edit Pro, Cyberlink's PowerDirector series, Adobe, I believe, has an entry-priced movie app... there are quite a few out there, so it pays to do a little searching, like, at stores that sell that sort of software should have a few options to choose from, and look into them and what they have to offer. Like anything else, we need to get the product that caters to our own needs at the end of the day. I really like the Sony Movie HD, where my friend, whom bought it because "I" like it so much, doesn't like it much at all. There are free ones available as well, like VirtuaDub, I think it's called, and like I've just mentioned above, BlackMagic Design's DaVinci Resolve has a free version for Indy users. Once you go pro you have to pay for the reasonably priced Studio edition, which comes with the extra pro-studio tools you'll need to keep your room full of artists busily cutting your masterpiece! ;)