DS 4.5 Transfer Utility and RAM Usage

artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Windows 7 system with 8GB RAM

These are the steps taken:

1. Downloaded and installed latest version of Genesis Basic Clothing Rig Kit.
2. Downloaded and installed latest version of V4 MFD.
3. Started DS4.5 with clear scene (DS RAM allocation about 133MB)
3. Loaded Genesis into scene via Genesis.duf
4. Loaded B25GRiggDress and fit to Genesis
5. Loaded V4 MFD but did not fit to Genesis (DS RAM allocation a bit above 900MB)
6. Converted V4 MFD to SubD and then applied TriAx weight mapping to it (RAM allocation a bit above 1GB)
7. Used Transfer Utility with B25GRiggDress as Source and MFD as Target (RAM allocation jumped to about 4.3GB and stayed there). At this point, if I clear the scene, the RAM usage will drop to about 640MB so DS does free some RAM but it is not close to the 133MB amount used at startup.
8. After the transfer of the B25GRiggDress rig to MFD, if I use Transfer Utility to fit MFD to Genesis using MFD as Target, Genesis as Source plus "Reverse Source Shape from Target" and "Fit to Source Figure". DS then requests another large amount of RAM from Windows. In this case it gets something above 7GB but, of course there is only 8GB total available. At this point DS has left the building, all bets are off, etc., etc.

How many other issues are related to RAM usage in some way? I did not go to this extent in checking RAM usage with DS4.0x but I did this sort of thing many times with 4.0x and did not notice an issue.

Am I doing something wrong with 4.5? Do I need 16 or 32GB in order to effectively use DS4.5? Anyone else see something like this?

RAM_State_After_2nd_Transfer.jpg
1600 x 900 - 375K
RAM_State_After_1st_Transfer.jpg
1600 x 900 - 394K
RAM_State_After_Convert_to_Weight_Map.jpg
1600 x 900 - 391K

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

What are you trying to achieve? Running the transfer utility wipes the previous rigging, so you gain nothing from using the rig kit first. I don't know if this is why you are getting high RAM usage, but it does seem somewhat pointless. What might make sense is to take Genesis as the source, with the shape set to V4 and reverse source shape from target set, then apply the B25 rig to that to get handles.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

Never had your problem and my max RAM usage is around 2-3 Gigs but I don't have the MFD and I don't use autofit the way you do. May be the issue is with the MFD or your way of autofitting like Richard said because I just did a test scene with loads of autofitted cloth and many characters, and I have really no problems. Even have a gown that should be comparable to MFD and subdivided it to level 2 before autofiting but my memory only jumped of 150 Mo

04-09-2012_20-24-47.png
    1668 x 920 - 933K
  • artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188
    edited December 1969

What are you trying to achieve? Running the transfer utility wipes the previous rigging, so you gain nothing from using the rig kit first. I don't know if this is why you are getting high RAM usage, but it does seem somewhat pointless. What might make sense is to take Genesis as the source, with the shape set to V4 and reverse source shape from target set, then apply the B25 rig to that to get handles.

I can assure you I have very little time to waste on pointless activity. Now, if there is a better way to accomplish the goal I would: 1. not be surprised (I have only been doing this for a year and since docs are pathetic, DS can only be learned by trial/error plus forum reading) and 2. welcome helpful insights from those who have more experience/knowledge.

Originally, there were two goals: 1. Find a workaround for an item that does not currently have a supported projection template, and 2. maintain the morphs supplied with the figure (perhaps this is part is fixed in 4.5?).

I could simply Autofit the item but the result is a skirt that deforms at the bottom. So, that is why I want to wipe the previous rigging. The step where I use Genesis as the source was part of the process listed in my original post. However, if I simply use Genesis as the Source and the MFD as the Target with shape set to V4 and reverse source shape, I will still get a skirt that is deformed at the bottom (see attached). If there is more to this, please elaborate. Originally, I did learn of this technique on the old forum.

Perhaps the greater point is that this worked fine in DS4.0x. It no longer works in DS4.5. But more importantly, does anyone think it is okay for a process to allocate/deallocate memory in such a way as to cause the system to essentially hang until the process is brought down?

MFD_after_Autofit.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 201K
    edited December 1969

The deformation is happening because the projection is adding feet to the skirt rigging, and weights for those joints. Blanking the weightmaps for the foot and toe rotations with the weight painting tool and then adding the areas affected back to the shins (if need be) should fix that.

AutoFit in 4.5 does preserve morphs.

• artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188
    edited December 1969

The deformation is happening because the projection is adding feet to the skirt rigging, and weights for those joints. Blanking the weightmaps for the foot and toe rotations with the weight painting tool and then adding the areas affected back to the shins (if need be) should fix that.

AutoFit in 4.5 does preserve morphs.

Understood, thanks. But...what I have been trying to say is that I had reasonable solution (that worked in most cases) using the Transfer Utility in 4.0x and it usually took only seconds to do.

Perhaps some additional information might be useful:

As a test, I loaded the MFD OBJ and then proceeded to use the Transfer Utility without using Reverse Source Shape From Target (see first attachment). After this, I was able to pose Genesis and the MFD figure reasonably follows without the deformation at the feet (see second attachment). Of course, I would have to load the morphs separately in this case.

So, I tried to do the same thing using the CR2 file. After applying TriAx weight mapping, I again used the Transfer Utility to attempt the same thing (see third attachment). After doing this, my RAM usage went straight up above 3.6 GB and DS hung (see fourth attachment). At this point, the only option was to terminate the process.

If you have two minutes to try this, I think it would be very helpful for all of us to know if this is the way it is supposed work and/or if there is another option for using the Transfer Utility on this sort of figure.

MFD_after_Transfer_Utility.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 382K
    MFD_using_Transfer_Utility.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 292K
    MFD_OBJ_after_Transfer_Utility.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 387K
    MFD_OBJ_using_Transfer_Utility.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 291K
    edited December 1969

Loaded V4 MFD CR2, converted to Weight mapping, set Transfer utility as you show -it was done in a few seconds. I don't know why you are seeing this, but I didn't.