practice, unfolding all kinds of shapes?

2»

Comments

• otodomusotodomus Posts: 332
    MistyMist said:

That's correct, a cube can be subdivided and eventually you will get a sphere, it is a nice method I did learn in Maya, in Carrara my best suggestion is to use the primitive sphere downloading the polygon number to 8, that ensures you that the top will be Quad.

Regards

Otto

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

gave the polyhedron a try.  and did the smoothing thing at level 1.  but doesn't really get smooth til upped the 3 setting.

your checker pattern is nice and smooth.  mine is wiggly

5-polyhedron and smoothed uv subivision.JPG
    1066 x 614 - 100K
    MistyMist said:

gave the polyhedron a try.  and did the smoothing thing at level 1.  but doesn't really get smooth til upped the 3 setting.

your checker pattern is nice and smooth.  mine is wiggly

Yep, I see, try using the Polygon Sphere at the vertex room, and choose the polygon number to 8, that's how I did mine.

You'll get a triangulated at the top, but it's easy to fix, you need to erase the extra edges and leave only the ones desired, that geometry resulted will be Quad.

I like the well defined renders, that can be adjusted on the render room, I did choose the AntiAliasing to "Best" and "Object Accuracy" to 0.5 pixels, and this is the result so far:

• MistyMist said:

Carrara does not have a modifier which can turn models into spherical ones, so starting with cube in Carrara is a no go smiley

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited January 2016

This is an aside - don't let it sidetrack this thread on uvmapping vertex models that have various shapes.

However, just wanted to point out a couple of ways to create spheres from other shapes.  And, as a result, change the dynamics of applying textures.  One method already brought up is to insert a vertex object, construct a cube with 1 polygon per face, make sure the edges are not creased, and apply subdvision smoothing to about 5.  Another is to insert a primitive cube, and then in the object modifier tab, choose complex modifier : spherical morph, and then set the completion to 100%.  Yet another is to start with a circular drawing in the spline modeler, add a couple sections, then make sure the length of the extrusion line is equal to the same diameter and the height and width of the symmetrical guides (there are numerical settings at the top of the properties tray), and reduce the size of the circles at the first and last section to near zero.

As EvilP might point out, the nice thing about the spline modeler approach is that the parameters can be animated to morph the shape.  For example, the sphere could unfold into a cylinder.  Also, the layer drawing tool can be used to place logos and other images on the spline model (and move them around its surface).

Post edited by Diomede on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    MistyMist said:

when you insert vertex in the wrench room, how do you make it automatically go to the center?

when i try to send sphere to bottom drawing plane, with all selected, it flattens on the floor,

if i select one face and send to bottom drawing plane, only the face moves.

thanks smiley

You can use Construct->Insert 3D in the menus in the vertex room.  Not only will it insert it at 0,0 but it gives you some additional options on sizing, orientation and how many divisions the object has. It's slower than simply dragging and dropping just because there's an extra step or two but sometimes it's worth it for the precision.

• diomede said:

Another is to insert a primitive cube, and then in the object modifier tab, choose complex modifier : spherical morph, and then set the completion to 100%.

Just a little warning : Spherical Morph is not a true modifier (I do not even know why it does what it does, lol), it does not preserve original geometry, it creates mess of triangles out of quad meshes and drastically increases polygon count and breaks the mesh in relation to UV islands (?)smiley

I did a try in many of the default materials at the assembly room and almost all of them works pretty good, here a test:

And here I have played a little bit with the Mixer Channel:

And I have never had problems mapping textures in logos, I did this model entirely in the Vertex Room following a .jpeg image, in one of the letters I did a strong bevel, and the texture works good:

The Mixer Channel its a powerful thing:

edited January 2016

And another test:

And of course that many of the times my needings demand only to apply a color or a single texture, but I have said this before, I love texture mapping in Carrara, and the above are just quick proofs that is quite fun mixing textures.

Post edited by otodomus on

OK and this is totally new to me, I have beveled all the letters and did select the bevel on each and I have assigned a new shader domine, named it as Metal and applied a metal texture to it, the rest of the model had already another texture:

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Looks good :)

looks smooth yes

MistyMist said:

looks smooth yes

Thanks! I only wanted to respond to your needings Misty, I like those kind of challenges and I have found that Carrara is nice at the time to UV mapping, I hope that you could find a way tu resolve your issues.

Regards

Otto

MDO2010 said:
    MistyMist said:

when you insert vertex in the wrench room, how do you make it automatically go to the center?

when i try to send sphere to bottom drawing plane, with all selected, it flattens on the floor,

if i select one face and send to bottom drawing plane, only the face moves.

thanks smiley

You can use Construct->Insert 3D in the menus in the vertex room.  Not only will it insert it at 0,0 but it gives you some additional options on sizing, orientation and how many divisions the object has. It's slower than simply dragging and dropping just because there's an extra step or two but sometimes it's worth it for the precision.

went right to the floor and everything.   Thanks!

otodomus said:

MistyMist said:

looks smooth yes

Thanks! I only wanted to respond to your needings Misty, I like those kind of challenges and I have found that Carrara is nice at the time to UV mapping, I hope that you could find a way tu resolve your issues.

Regards

Otto

Thanks.  

i really want to learn how to use the seams and pins unfold tools.   in wings3d i would use cut and stitch to lay it out in strips, in carrara looks like i would use detach polygons. but i'm no able to simply move the piece i've just detached.  is hard to get used to

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Hi Misty :)

You don't need to detach polygons.

If you select an edge and loop it to select it all the way around your model , then go to the "Seams" and click the little "Add" (plus) button,.

that will define the seam.... The seam will be shown in blue (see pics)

If you click the "Unfold" button,. then Carrara will split the model at that seam, and flatten out both sections on the UV grid,.

then  you can select, scale, rotate and move each section independantly,. to arrange it on the UV grid,. to maximise the texture area.

Hope it helps

Pics

UV Seams.jpg
    1524 x 670 - 147K
    UV Split 2.jpg
    1524 x 681 - 166K
    chain mapped.jpg
    640 x 480 - 27K
    edited January 2016

can it be that easy?  have to try a taurus next. thanks! smiley smiley

as an experiment with the sphere, i exported the sphere primitive as an obj, imported as a facet mesh,and converted to vertex.  some pretty wild seams, it make a square uv map.  it added 4,500 edges.

4u.JPG
    1018 x 749 - 148K
    4.png
    1240 x 930 - 554K
    Post edited by Mistara on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

HI :)

Yes,. It can be that easy,. and in some programs it's even easier than that,..

It's why there are a bunch of "Preset's" for most simple shapes, ...it makes it simpler/quicker.

On Unwrap,. Seams and pins.

The concepts and tools for UV unwrapping or pelt mapping come from Tailors and Hunters,. making clothing,. and cutting flat fabric/ pelt shapes from a patten, or streching the pelt over a frame to maximise the usable area.

It's a similar process to flattening the 3D mesh on a 2D texture and placing those pattern sections in a way that makes the best use of the fabric / pelt

sometimes the tailor will also use pins to attach the fabric to the paper pattern to retain the flow of the fabric  alhough they're not always needed.

On Sphere's  .

.If you think about a world map,. it's split from Pole to Pole and then flattened to make a rectangular 2D map.

In Carrara,. you can create a Spherical camera,. and render out a 360 degree image,. for exampe 2000x1000.

this can then be applied to the "Background" in carrara (a spherical skydome),. and can provide both a background image, and scene lighting,

that Background is really an invisible sphere, with spherical UV mapping applied to it, and it's "Normal" direction is flipped, so you see the inside surface.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited February 2016

I wander around my house hoping to find where I've left that invisible sphere. Maybe I bump into it. :)

Post edited by wgdjohn on
    wgdjohn said:

I wander around my house hoping to find where I've left that invisible sphere. Maybe I bump into it. :)

under the unflateable cube or pony?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

I am going to link to Otto's uv thread just so it is easier to find both threads later.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/72057/uv-mapping-and-unfold#latest