Move Center on Primitive or Object

freedo99freedo99 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I'm learning Hex so maybe this is an easy question. I wanted to create an array of tubes in a symmetrical pattern, like the fanning fringe, for instance, on the top edge of a mask. So I made the tube shape I wanted, made a circle, then tried the "Copy on a Support" Utility to put the tube on the facets of the circle. Problem is it grabs the center of the tube - I want the END of the tube to be the attach point. So how do I move the center of the tube object to it's end? Or is there an easier way to accomplish this (I'm betting the answer is yes)?

Much thanks for any help.

Comments

• edited December 1969

The good news is that you can change the center point using the icon as shown below.

The bad news is that I just found out I can't make the clone function work for love or money...

snap.jpg
    747 x 526 - 124K
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Strange - clone works for me - i see you have it selected OK. Are you using the original image to clone, not one of the copies?

Just for freedo99's info - you change the pivot point by hitting r-mouse in an empty part of the workspace, selecting "Set pivot point" and selecting a vertex. This won't work for the use you are thinking of - afreaginname's suggestion is the correct method. From there you can move the array outward or inward by dragging on the centre yellow box of the universal manipulator.

• edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Strange - clone works for me - i see you have it selected OK. Are you using the original image to clone, not one of the copies?

Yup! Tried the original, and then tried various copies to no avail.

And it gets worse...when I tried playing with the "ratio" function to see if that had any effect, the "center point" icon disappeared and I got this utterly useless function (which also redistributed the array):

snap.jpg
    245 x 339 - 11K
    edited December 1969

That is really strange - When I use the ratio function, I don't get anything like that - everything stays as is and continues to function. Looks like Hex works differently for different folks.

• edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    That is really strange - When I use the ratio function, I don't get anything like that - everything stays as is and continues to function. Looks like Hex works differently for different folks.

I think the modelling gods are smacking me around for getting too smug...ever since 2.5.1.79 came out it's been stable as a rock on my system (except for the "delete" key. I had to tell hex's key mapper that the delete key was my delete key)

So whenever folks have posted their problems here, I've always thought to myself "heheh...2.5.1.79 doesn't do THAT on MY system!" :)

Now it appears that I've finally found a cliff of my own to walk off that isn't on anyone else's system! :-S

edited December 1969

Always a little surprise waiting around the corner with hex, hey;-)

• freedo99freedo99 Posts: 0
    edited September 2012

Great answers guys! Thanks a bunch!

For the record, I still have the "center point" adjustment star available when I see afreaginname's second screen cap (and I'll add that actually using that adjustment star seems to take some learning).

Win 7, Hexagon version 2.5.1.79 not 100% of the rest

Post edited by freedo99 on