GUNSHOT EFFECTS

dash2128dash2128 Posts: 648
edited January 2016 in Product Suggestions

Is there a product that adds the effect of a gunshot going off, to a picture being prepared to render as a still?

(Not just the pose, but the blast effect.)

I really need those gunfire effects, to go along with the poses. 

girls-with-guns-large.jpg
960 x 1248 - 129K
Post edited by dash2128 on

Comments

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,084

I totally second this. I would like to have muzzleblasts and the like without having to do it in post.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Oddly I was just thinking of this today. What is needed:
    A slight recoil arm effect that shouldn't be that hard to create a pose for this.
    A smoking gun effect with no blast and of course the blast itself both of which can be done in other programs like Carrara or in postwork.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

It's kind of a weird way to do it, but I ended up using the welder flame from http://www.daz3d.com/hands-for-industry as a gunshot effect.

Another option would be liquid and candle flame props, retextured.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

I think there is muzzle flash in Porismo's free "Light Reconnaissance Vehicle Cheetah" https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/light-recon-vehicle/54688 ; .  Search for "Muzzle flash.pp2" within that product.

screenshot, muzzle flash.png
    99 x 115 - 6K
  • dash2128dash2128 Posts: 648
    edited January 2016

Prior to figuring out how to attach a muzzle-blast to animation, I tried to figure out how to do it to a still...funny, I hadn't thought of doing that.

Someone mentioned Photoshop, so I gave it a whirl:

I set up the figure, in Adobe.

Then opened a new layer by pressing ctrl+N

( Create a new layer by clicking the page icon at the bottom of the "Layers" palette.- the icon on the left- in my version of Photoshop.)

· I Selectesd the "Elliptical Marquee Tool" and created- YES- a long, ellipse in front of the nose pf the gun, 

Then fill the selection with a very light red (or yellow), almost pink color.

Add (cover) the first elipse with two smaller ellipses, using the "Edit-> Fill" process- the white is added last.

Select Filter-> Blur-> Gaussian Blur- and PRESTO!- I had a a muzzle-blast.

This webpage helped:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5652453_make-muzzle-flashes-photoshop.html

So...now I work on the animation process.  Yes, we need a quick, easy way to add an M-blast to a scene.

Spy Moves has an aniblock, but how does one add a blast?

I'll look into your suggestions, thanks!

Capture-PNG3_edited-1.png
    385 x 244 - 26K
    Post edited by dash2128 on
  • NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322
    edited January 2016

There's a few different ways to do this inside of Daz (and most likely even more than I'm aware of) but the methods ive tried all add substantial amount of render time, and that's not always practical. 

Doing it in post looks pretty darn spiffy, and is pretty simple to do. 

My workflow is Similar to Dash2828, but different enough I'll post it here:

1) I render the scene (with the main lighting) out in seperate passes, or layers. Normally this is foreground objects, main subject, and background objects rendered separately naming the files "scenexyz_FG" "scenexyz_BG" "scenexyz_MainSubject"..etc...you get the idea.

2) I will shine a very bright light directly onto the gun and subject. I will render this out as a seperate layer as well and call it "scenexyz_FLASH". 

3) Import all the renders into PS/Gimp/Image editor of choice.  I use After Effects, even for stills, but it's all the same really. 

4) Find several different smoke/fog/Flash/Flare images with an alpha channel. There are A LOT of these online, many are free.  Just make sure they are public domain/royalty free.  

5) layer the main Daz renders on top of each other.  Layer the "FLASH" layer on top, and play with the blending modes.  "ADD" usually works for me. Play with the opacity and feathering as needed.

6) Import the smoke/flare images, and layer them above, around, below, abd BEHIND the main subjet.  I put BEHIND in bold because for a long time I never thought to do that, and once I figured it out it made a world of difference. 

7) Add a curves adjustment and color grade so it all sits right and fits your original vision.

That's pretty much what works for me, and it's actually much simpler to do it and write it out.  

I've been meaning to try rendering out some smoke in Daz with Iray again but haven't had the chance yet. 

Post edited by NoName99 on
    edited January 2016
    mjc1016 said:

Those look pretty cool, I'm going to have to check them out.

edited January 2016
    dash2128 said:

So...now I work on the animation process.  Yes, we need a quick, easy way to add an M-blast to a scene.

Spy Moves has an aniblock, but how does one add a blast?

I'll look into your suggestions, thanks!

If you really want to do it inside of Daz, you can point a spotlight onto the gun and subject, (or use a point light), and Keyframe the intensity.  

Have the light set to zero and Keyframe the intensity to go off INTENSELY BRIGHT as your actor fires, and set the intensity/lumens back to 0 after your actor has fired. 1-3 frames should be long enough.  Usually 1 frame is plenty. 

If your actor is moving around, you can parent to light to the muzzle of the gun.

^^^ as an aside, That's an old technique that low-budget Hollywood movies use to use for muzzle flashes when they didn't have the budget to spend on blanks. I think Roger Corman came up with it. 

Basically, he would take a very bright Camera Flash, and Have the camera flash go off as his actor was firing the gun in the scene.  After adding the gun shot sound effect in post, it really looked like the actor was firing the weapon. 

• geoff6geoff6 Posts: 250

I've done it in post. render the scene without gunfire effect. Then render the frames or sequence in which the gunfires with a flame effect parented to the barrel etc. Then in post, cut between the two. It's a bit crude but a lot less fiddly than making stuff happen using key frames which I have found to be a bit unreliable when it comes to lighting on/off and visible on/off conditions.