WillowRaven ~ WIPs and final works ...

Comments

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

Very nice. I like faeries. The faery world goes so far beyond Tinker Bell. There's a wealth of material to draw from.

I totally agree. The possibilities are endless :D

For A Shadow in the Past, I learned how to work with mirrors. I had the thread saved, but now it's lost, so I'm hoping someone else does a tut or something on the best mirrored surface settings ... lol.

A-Shadow-in-the-Past-by-Melanie-Robertson-King_-_rez_777.jpg
    502 x 777 - 69K
  • booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

This one is nice. I like the mirror effect. Also, the textures (the drapes, the gown, the floor) really make the image.

edited June 2012

This one is nice. I like the mirror effect. Also, the textures (the drapes, the gown, the floor) really make the image.

Thanks. :D

The striped shirt is a Daz Dynamic, M4 Dynamic Polo Shirt: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/m4-dynamic-polo-shirt
    The gown is Marie Louise 18th Century Gown: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/clothing-accessories/formal-clothing
    The mirror is the Gothika Mirror: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/gothika-mirror

I forget which room it is though ... lol The drapes came with the room.

This next one, Lilith (the name of the character, the book's title is Nemesis), was where I learned the wonderful world of shaders! Up 'till then, I always tweaked textures in PS trying to make different clothing sets match each other, with limited success. I was directed to some free Daz shaders and a whole new world opened up :D.

For the bloody bandages, I used the freebie by Optitex: Mummy: http://www.optitex-dynamiccloth.com/FreebieDownload08.php

For the drape on the baby, I used another freebie, Headpiece for V4: http://www.optitex-dynamiccloth.com/FreebieDownload07.php

Anyone interested in learning about this upcoming book, check here: http://willowravenillustration.weebly.com/nemesis--lilith.html

Nemesis-by-Kaamal-Garyson---for-web_at_777.jpg
    518 x 777 - 194K
    Post edited by WillowRaven on
    edited December 1969

She looks tough. I don't know if I'd want her as a babysitter, though.:lol:

edited December 1969

Ahhh ... but she's not the babysitter ... she wants to kill the baby, but can't for various reasons. If you follow the related link, you'll get a better grasp of the story line. :D

For this next one, SnowBird, I put it together in a few hours just because it was cold outside ... :D

If I remember right, I am using another Optitex outfit. I believe its the basic dress, but I couldn't find the link. I'll keep looking. :D

Christmas-2011---Snowbird---for-web_at_777.jpg
    777 x 555 - 98K
    edited December 1969

Ahhh ... but she's not the babysitter ... she wants to kill the baby, but can't for various reasons. If you follow the related link, you'll get a better grasp of the story line. :D

Read it. She doesn't sound like the kind of girl you'd take home to mother.

edited December 1969

For this next one, SnowBird, I put it together in a few hours just because it was cold outside ... :D

If I remember right, I am using another Optitex outfit. I believe its the basic dress, but I couldn't find the link. I'll keep looking. :D

I like the dragon's texture. Unusual. I think I saw this one over at your site.

edited December 1969

Possibly, or on my secondary site, where the more risque images are posted. I cater to a lot of children's writers, so horror or suggestive works have their own site. You may have also seen it in he old forum, under he Daz Dynamics thread or in my rendo gallery.

The dragon is the Storybook Dragon: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/storybook-dragon. I love the scales on it. And it looks sorta friendly vs fierce. More likely to allow a fairy to pet it :D

Despite St Patrick was created for a Renderosity contest. It didn't place, but many still like it :D

There was a political/religious statement connected to it that didn't help it's cause any, either ... lol. If ya care to read it: http://willowravenillustration.weebly.com/despite-st-patrick.html

Brigid, here, is wearing the lovely Neoclassical Gown and Robe: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/clothing-accessories/dynamic-clothing/neoclassical-gown-and-robe and her lovely, cascading in the grass lock are the Esidor Hair: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/hair/long/esidor-hair.

renderosity_st_pattys_day_contest_2012.jpg
    565 x 800 - 104K
    edited December 1969

Possibly, or on my secondary site, where the more risque images are posted. I cater to a lot of children's writers, so horror or suggestive works have their own site. You may have also seen it in he old forum, under he Daz Dynamics thread or in my rendo gallery.

The dragon is the Storybook Dragon: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/storybook-dragon. I love the scales on it. And it looks sorta friendly vs fierce. More likely to allow a fairy to pet it :D

Despite St Patrick was created for a Renderosity contest. It didn't place, but many still like it :D

There was a political/religious statement connected to it that didn't help it's cause any, either ... lol. If ya care to read it: http://willowravenillustration.weebly.com/despite-st-patrick.html

Outstanding image. Too bad you didn't win. I read the statement. Truth is sometimes hard for people to swallow. I enjoyed the image and the story very much.

And thanks for the link to the hair. Cool.

• kylumikylumi Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

Very nice art work, my friend I particularly like the Nemesis image.....its kinda movie poster style, and I love POV.

edited December 1969

Sorry, guys ... kinda got distracted and forgot about doing this thread ... lol.

This next piece was for another issue of Scape Magazine. It's titled Fish Bowl. If you'd like to read the story: http://scapezine.com/2012/issue-3/fish-bowl

I am including the thumbnail I created for the Rendo gallery because I just like it ;P

For a closer look, since the forum no longer allows for this, the page on my website dedicated to this piece: http://willowravenillustration.weebly.com/fish-bowl.html

Fish_Bowl_-_signed_-_low_rez_at_777.jpg
    777 x 437 - 44K
    the_fishbowl_thumbnail_daz.jpg
    150 x 200 - 19K
    edited June 2012

I keep forgetting to upload work ... lol.

Here are a few more. I think these three get ya'll fairly up to date with my work.

titles:

Spacecarrier

Strawberries & Sweetgrass

Kainan

Deragan_Sword_Prophecy_-_Kainan_by_Rosemary_Lynch_at_777.jpg
    518 x 777 - 111K
    Strawberries_Sweetgrass_by_Nadine_Labelle_at_777.jpg
    518 x 777 - 69K
    Spacecarrier-by-Veradance---for-web_at_777.jpg
    515 x 777 - 80K
    edited December 1969

Good stuff! I really like The Fish Bowl. Thanks for sharing.

So, if this brings us up to date, then does that mean no more goodies from you?

edited December 1969

Good stuff! I really like The Fish Bowl. Thanks for sharing.

So, if this brings us up to date, then does that mean no more goodies from you?

Oh heavens no ... lol. I am a cover artist and designer for a living. There is always a dozen or so WIPs in the works. But I first wanted o show my progress in Daz since I am a traditional artist and still feel like such a rube as far as what's possible with this medium.

Plus, only my Daz work is here, none of my traditional work.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm looking forward to more. I've been lurking, and enjoying. Please keep adding new stuff as often as possible, I'm a big fan now.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I'm looking forward to more. I've been lurking, and enjoying. Please keep adding new stuff as often as possible, I'm a big fan now.

Awwwe. Thanks, Jaderail. :)

edited December 1969

The latest YA book cover:

At fifteen, Victoria, a city girl, loses her mother’s love and tries to cope with country isolation, no friends, and no one who cares, until she meets a ghost.

Vic_Ghost_front_cover_-_PROMO_at_777.jpg
    497 x 777 - 99K
    edited December 1969

Character creation, WIP ... meet Anne - 11 - travels back in time. Loving my pwSketch shader :D

Anne_sketch_two.jpg
    466 x 700 - 157K
    edited December 1969

I thought I would update my portfolio thread a bit ... :D

Deragan_Sword_Prophecy_-_Meladrom_by_Rosemary_Lynch_at_777.jpg
    518 x 777 - 516K
    The_Battle_for_QDoor_Hold_by_GM_McRae_at_777.jpg
    518 x 777 - 80K
    Building_Your_Life_by_the_Owners_Design_by_Danny_Von_Kanel_at_777.jpg
    518 x 777 - 81K
    Nandanas_Mark_by_Heidi_Garrett_at_777.jpg
    518 x 777 - 146K
  • Design Anvil - Razor42Design Anvil - Razor42 Posts: 1,223
    edited December 1969

Some excellent images, very inspiring!

edited August 2012

Here I am, forgetting to update my own portfolio thread ... again ... lol.

Info can be found for the following books on my website. Just look for the titles on my site map.

The non-book cover pieces, Cloud Runner and The Keeper, can also be found via my site map. Cloud Runner was 'just because I felt like it' and The Keeper is to be published in Scape Magazines upcoming issue.

The-Keeper---signed---for-web_at_777.jpg
    503 x 777 - 59K
    cloud-runner---signature-for-web_at_777.jpg
    503 x 777 - 49K
    Leroys-Chance---final-cover---CROPPED----FOR-WEB_at_777.jpg
    503 x 777 - 70K
    Journey_of_the_Cheyenne_Warrior_by_Kathleen_Gibbs_at_777.jpg
    518 x 777 - 48K
  • Jake_35533Jake_35533 Posts: 242
    edited December 1969

This is great stuff. You are the real deal. I've seen these covers before going through google images but never knew it was you who made them. How long does it take for you to set up one of these. I admit I am a little lazy and rarely do complex scenes like yours with multiple characters and several objects and foreground and background elements. You are talented and very patient. Have you ever tried the Reality Plugin for Daz? I bet if you re-rendered some of these in that, it would be even better. I have abandoned Daz rendering and use Reality exclusively.

edited December 1969

This is great stuff. You are the real deal. I've seen these covers before going through google images but never knew it was you who made them. How long does it take for you to set up one of these. I admit I am a little lazy and rarely do complex scenes like yours with multiple characters and several objects and foreground and background elements. You are talented and very patient. Have you ever tried the Reality Plugin for Daz? I bet if you re-rendered some of these in that, it would be even better. I have abandoned Daz rendering and use Reality exclusively.

I wasn't aware my work was that visible. Maybe you've seen them in my rendo gallery? As far as time, it varies. Cloud Runner I put together in one day and rendered the following day. The Keeper took a bit longer, due to the character merging and custom textures I tweaked in PS. The other two were about two days as well, as far as actual 'put together time'. What really takes time is figuring out what I want to do.

Even jobs with strict parameters have elements I add that enhance the scene, but were not in the original job specs. You know? I have had some covers take a few months, simply because I didn't know what I wanted to do with the scene.

I have considered using reality, but I think I was deterred by the odd download page. I didn't know what to download ... lol. And I could not readily see how to use it, and I hate the time it takes to learn new software (which is why I haven't made the switch to DS4, yet, even though I have the software). I have Poser, too, but have never taken the time to learn it. Same for Hexagon and Bryce ... lol.

Besides, I prefer a painted look or dreamy look over realism for most scenes. But there are some genres that favor the more realistic look, more. Maybe someday, if it gets easier for me to understand ... lol. Took me to years to learn what little I know of Daz ... lol.

• Jake_35533Jake_35533 Posts: 242
    edited December 1969

I'm exactly the same. It took me years to get to a point where I am actually making something rather than just experimenting. I have Lightwave 10, Maya 2011, Cinema 4D R11, ZBrush 4, the newest bryce, Poser and Cararra, The adobe suite. I don't know how to use any of it. I only used Daz Studio 4, Reality and Photoshop.

WIth Reality 2.2, I have to use it because I had headaches trying to get the lighting right with Daz. Reality uses physics to render everything as if it were in real life. You can use just one HDRI light and light the entire scene. Also, you can render stuff without Daz being open. Also you can adjust the lighting DURING and AFTER you render it which is a big plus because you don't have to keep re-rendering. Here is an example of an image I rendered with Daz and then with reality. (No post work on either)

brian1.jpg
    1111 x 1438 - 1M
    brian.png
    1500 x 1941 - 4M
    edited December 1969

I'm exactly the same. It took me years to get to a point where I am actually making something rather than just experimenting. I have Lightwave 10, Maya 2011, Cinema 4D R11, ZBrush 4, the newest bryce, Poser and Cararra, The adobe suite. I don't know how to use any of it. I only used Daz Studio 4, Reality and Photoshop.

WIth Reality 2.2, I have to use it because I had headaches trying to get the lighting right with Daz. Reality uses physics to render everything as if it were in real life. You can use just one HDRI light and light the entire scene. Also, you can render stuff without Daz being open. Also you can adjust the lighting DURING and AFTER you render it which is a big plus because you don't have to keep re-rendering. Here is an example of an image I rendered with Daz and then with reality. (No post work on either)

No re-rendering would be cool ... lol. I def like the top one, better.

• cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

I know this thread is a month old, but I just ran into it and thought it needed bumping :)

Aidana, you are a great artist with a flair for the commercial image - that's a lot of why you're probably so successful.

I really like the progression you've shown in your work here. The experience curve is obvious - you've come a long way.

What I like most about this thread is the business knowledge you impart. I've been contemplating making a living at this. I already do freelance work (writing, designing, programming), and your business advice is spot-on! Real helpful for me right now.

One of the things you touched on is something that has taken me a long time to understand - sometimes "good enough" needs to be good enough - it's easy for me to beat a project to death trying to get it just perfect, when the client is just looking for "good enough".

Thanks for all the good info and art! Look forward to more! :)

edited December 1969

:D Thanks for the kind words, CJ :D

And as you pointed out, I have not updated lately ... lol. I should remedy that soon. As soon as I finish a PITA of a layout with a PITA of a deadline ... lol.

edited December 1969

I was reminded recently that I had not updated my folio thread in a while. So, my latest book covers:

Heather-Hummingbird_by_Kaye_Lynne_Booth_at_777.jpg
    777 x 777 - 139K
    Memoirs-of-the-Damned-@-300---digital--web-use_at_777.jpg
    493 x 777 - 75K
    Experiment-38-front-cover---for-web_777.jpg
    518 x 777 - 67K
    The-Girl-with-the-Silver-Shoes-by_Jennifer_Lowe_at-777-for-web.jpg
    518 x 777 - 30K
    edited November 2012

Oh, and also my contest entry for this year's Halloween contest at Rendo (to see full size visit my gallery there: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2382363):

Reckoning-final---signed----for-web777.jpg
    777 x 503 - 57K
    edited February 2013

I've neglected my thread, again. Sorry, guys.

A few recent book covers:

Tear-Stained-Beaches-by-Courtney-Giardina----web_777.jpg
    518 x 777 - 216K
    Iscalon-Dragons-Siege---final-cover-art-saved-for-web_at_777.jpg
    518 x 777 - 189K
    Renaissance----web_at_777.jpg
    518 x 777 - 137K
    Celtic-Magic----for-web_at_777.jpg
    513 x 777 - 173K