G3F clothes that make body parts disappear...how to get them back?

right. I absolutely LOATHE this new practice of clothing/outfits that make body parts of the figure disappear when you apply them. Case in point: the boots for the Delta Outfit

I know there are some others in the store, but I can't think of which ones they are. 

Applying the boots to the G3F make the legs disappear - and I cannot for the life of me figure out HOW to get those legs back. They're not made "invisible" wiht that little eye.....so does anyone know HOW to get her legs back???????

I tried the boots, decided they didn't work with the scene, deleted the boots.....and yeah, left with a legless figure because of this new practice. I'm looking at my product history to see about returning this product because I will not buy products that do this. But in the meantime, how do I get her legs back without having ot start over with a new figure???

Comments

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,559

Re-applying the character's textures should (might) bring them back. Which is not good news if you've spent a whole lot of time tweaking the original textures and shaders from the base ones.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,822

are they geografted perhaps not sure not owning any that do this

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

The legs should re-appear when deleting the geograft boots, and yes it is a trend I hate as well.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    Nikisatez products do this a lot. I dislike it too. I've pretty much quit buying from that PA, because of that, even thought I like the look of many of those products. The frustration of the disappearing body parts is too much.
  • Unfit the clothing (optional but it's easier to see what you are doing)

Switch to the Geometry Editor tool

Select a single polygon on the base figure that you don't mind losing - anywhere, you could even hide the head and select one on the back of the tongue if you liked.

Refit the clothing if you unfitted it.

Right-click in the viewport and go to Geometry Assignment>Set Auto Hide Faces for Fitted Figure...

Select the clothing item in the dialogue and click Accept.

Unfit and refit the clothing to update the display.

Richard, I'm not sure what your process is describing. Is this a way to get the character's body parts back after they disappear?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033
    barbult said:

Richard, I'm not sure what your process is describing. Is this a way to get the character's body parts back after they disappear?

Basically, yes. Apparently there's no way to simply remove the "hide a part of the figure" behaviour, but you can change what part gets hidden. So Richard is suggesting to set it to hide only one polygon in a place that won't be seen anyway.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    Leana said:
    barbult said:

Basically, yes. Apparently there's no way to simply remove the "hide a part of the figure" behaviour, but you can change what part gets hidden. So Richard is suggesting to set it to hide only one polygon in a place that won't be seen anyway.

You can...but it takes some serious editing of the items in question (the dsf files).  It's much easier to reassign to an unobtrusive polygon than it is to figure out what needs to be removed and edit the file.  Safer, too (less chance of unintentionally breaking anything).

I would pick one of the polygons on the bottom molars...the area is buried in the gums.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033
    mjc1016 said:
    Leana said:
    barbult said:

You can...but it takes some serious editing of the items in question (the dsf files).  It's much easier to reassign to an unobtrusive polygon than it is to figure out what needs to be removed and edit the file.  Safer, too (less chance of unintentionally breaking anything).

I would pick one of the polygons on the bottom molars...the area is buried in the gums.

Bad writing on my part, I meant it as "there's no simple way to remove it", not that you couldn't remove it at all.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732

Why not just use Geometry Visibility/Show All Polygons? It will unhide all polygons even it the whole figure is hidden.

• Can you create a GeoShell and apply the clothing item to the geoshell? Never tried it but it should work.

Taozen said:

Why not just use Geometry Visibility/Show All Polygons? It will unhide all polygons even it the whole figure is hidden.

Because it's actually a geograft...and it's basically switching the geometry so I'm not sure that will actually unhide anything.

• Can you create a GeoShell and apply the clothing item to the geoshell? Never tried it but it should work.

The shell is not a rigged figure, so I'd think there would be nothing for the clothes to fit to.

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited January 2016

Trying to put lace shaders on gloves and boots that hide the arms..   wjtoyihjrhjrthuktpjukjrjerpky

Thanks Richard..  she has two hidden polygons on the underside of her tongue now.  kiss

Post edited by Fisty on
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited January 2016

Yeah, I just discovered that the pants in the Sophisticate outfit in the Leo 7 bundles does that. That was an ... interesting surprise. And thanks for the instructions on how to make it stop, Richard!

I do kind of understand why a PA would make that choice for some items -- although making it happen for the pants and ONLY the pants is just odd. (Seriously, shoes, at least, would make more sense. But JUST the pants? And NOT the shoes, as it happens.) But I do hope this is something that Daz squelches quite firmly in the future.

Post edited by vwrangler on

Yeah with the outift I was working on there was no pokethrough on the arms after I made them visible, so no idea why it was even used there..  there was a bit poke through on the boots but expand-all at only 2% got rid of it everywhere except the feet.  The PA could have just hid the feet,  (or better yet, made properly fitting boots in the first place..  /grumble.

edited January 2016
    vwrangler said:

Yeah, I just discovered that the pants in the Sophisticate outfit in the Leo 7 bundles does that. That was an ... interesting surprise. And thanks for the instructions on how to make it stop, Richard!

I do kind of understand why a PA would make that choice for some items -- although making it happen for the pants and ONLY the pants is just odd. (Seriously, shoes, at least, would make more sense. But JUST the pants? And NOT the shoes, as it happens.) But I do hope this is something that Daz squelches quite firmly in the future.

Yup, that is another Nikisatez product. That PA seems to be very fond of that geograft technique.

Have you written a help request about this? I just did. Maybe we can get some attention to this issue if we all write help requests.

Post edited by barbult on
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited January 2016

I was simply trying different outfit combos, and it happened... WTH, lol

So needles to say. Nothing works after that, and I need to dump everything, and make the scene from scratch again to get her legs back?

As for The outfit that did this... (EDIT) no longer a problem with the fix outlined by Nikisatez on Page two of this thread.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on

Just delete the trousers and her legs will come back.  Use the other trousers you have, we know those fit.  =P

Deleting works to change to another garment (thanks Fisty). But it is not a solution if you want to keep the clothing and use a shader, like you described above.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited January 2016
    barbult said:

Deleting works to change to another garment (thanks Fisty). But it is not a solution if you want to keep the clothing and use a shader, like you described above.

Agreed.  And I am one for liking things like the 'Future Girl' from the AElflaed's Fancy Promos (Lace skirts over stuff).  I was setting up a Paloma scene subset for other scenes (like I did with Fw Eve), and the pants make using it a difficult pill to swallow. lol.  I ended up doing the Scene subset with the Yulia outfit.

'O', some times when you delete stuff that is parented, studio will crash, sometimes. (the thread is somewhere).

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
    barbult said:

Richard's instructions work for that, though not really a basic easy solution.

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609

yeap the appear when deleting the boots or unfit them (unparent, too, I hate thi´s automatic parent to thing)

unfit and unparented works, deleting is not necessary

• cosmo71 said:

yeap the appear when deleting the boots or unfit them (unparent, too, I hate thi´s automatic parent to thing)

When working with multiple figures Parenting is nice, Tho I do understand not wanting it parented at times (I've been there).

'O', some times when you delete stuff that is parented, studio will crash, sometimes. (the thread is somewhere).

And sometimes Studio crashes if you look at it cross-eyed...(one of the quickest ways to crash Studio...create new shaders in Shader Builder after doing anything in it.  Shader Builder works best from a fresh start).

Simply save the scene BEFORE getting rid of the offending garment.  I've had more problems with it crashing when trying to render after deleting/replacing clothing items and I'm thinking it is memory/undo stack related.

Fisty said:
    barbult said:

Not a "permanent" solution, either. I tried Richard's instructions, which worked! I made cutoffs with a transparency mask. But when I saved the scene and reloaded it, the body parts (legs) were invisible again. I suppose maybe I have to save the changed clothing as a new asset???

Fisty is right. This is not a basic easy solution. I do appreciate Richard telling us how to do it, though.

G3F Abigail cutoffs.png
    763 x 1236 - 1M
    G3F Abigail cutoffs after scene reloaded.png
    763 x 1236 - 1M
    edited January 2016

there is a solution. The content creators should create "real" clothes and not clothes that replaces bodyparts. It is the same thing also with seams on ankles for example. I hate those clothing that do all details via textures. Some things should be "hardware" means mesh, like seams and trims on ankles for example. If each and everything is texturemade we got problems by changing textures (shaders) for example or the creators should make more material zones.

The geografting thing, well, what if we want to create some "holes" in some of the clothes, like in jeans?

Post edited by cosmo71 on
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    barbult said:
    Fisty said:
    barbult said:

Not a "permanent" solution, either. I tried Richard's instructions, which worked! I made cutoffs with a transparency mask. But when I saved the scene and reloaded it, the body parts (legs) were invisible again. I suppose maybe I have to save the changed clothing as a new asset???

Fisty is right. This is not a basic easy solution. I do appreciate Richard telling us how to do it, though.

I figured the clothes would need to be saved as a new asset, because that didn't seem to me like the sort of solution that would save with the scene. When I fixed the Sophisticate pants, I saved them out separately, then rebuilt the outfit. So far, it's worked just fine that way.

barbult said:
    vwrangler said:

Yup, that is another Nikisatez product. That PA seems to be very fond of that geograft technique.

Have you written a help request about this? I just did. Maybe we can get some attention to this issue if we all write help requests.

And to answer your earlier question, I didn't file a ticket. Partially because I'd only just discovered the issue and applied the fix, but also because my blood pressure and I do not need the "This is the way the item is designed to work" arguments with Support. I've had those arguments when the issue was an error that needed fixing, and wound up needing to hold onto my patience with both hands. Having that discussion when it actually IS the way the outfit is designed to work, whether it should be or not, is not something I want to endure.

I am limited in what I can say about this subject without having my post removed..  but anyone who has any of my stuff will know how I feel about this practice.