Nvidea Iray viewport getting overloaded

Well....Almost everything is fixed....

Got my PostgreSQL running.....Face Transfer works......I can render again.....

I had to completetly eliminate all traces of DAZ 3d and meticulously install it all on the D: drive.....not so easy as it sounds....

The only thing really left to fix is the Nvidea Iray viewport is getting overloaded pretty quickly.....

after 4 or 5 pieces of cloths and hair....the viewport can't convert to Nvidea Iray mode.......

Comments

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 262

I'm assuming you're just getting a never-ending cycle of the progress bar without the viewport ever showing you an Iray preview so two things spring to mind:

1 - You've run out of VRAM. You don't mention what GPU you have so it's difficult to guess how likely this is. You will need to optimise your scene or start removing items from it if this is the case.

Or

2 - You've loaded something which is causing Iray to hang. If you haven't updated some hairs (for example)  which have a Transmitted Color Map or fixed them yourself, the same thing will appear to happen when you haven't actually exceeded your card's VRAM.

If you post your GPU and the items you're loading into your scene then folks might be able to offer some more specific advice but this is the best I can do with the limited info you've provided.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,980

And better attach the DS log by the way...

• lstubbs2lstubbs2 Posts: 32

I've got an Nvidea Gforece RTX 3070.....

Yes....endless progress bar....never makes it to an actual preview display.

the scene in question does have 4 genesis 8 characters....when you add bikini tops and hair it gets shakey...

I have some hair set-ups that require a boatload of VRAm....(Touchable Lupine)...but i've kept it to the more simple hair set-ups....

I 've had scenes with a lot more characters than 4 and had no problem.....There may be something I've loaded that is ramping up things...I'm going to strip everything and load them back one at a time to find the culprit.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,980

Check if you have used any hair products from OOT... If you have, update the hair products with the corrected shader definition files...

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 262

With the RTX 3070 being an 8GB card, I'm going to suggest it's VRAM. As a quick test I loaded a base G8, 3 random characters and put four different random but simple bikinis on them. GPU-Z showed a VRAM load of 6.8GB and this is without any hair on any of the models.

If your 3070 is your only card, and depending on which version of Windows you are using, you will lose approximately 1GB of that VRAM to Windows processes leaving you somewhere in the order of 7GB to play with.

Your four figures may use slightly more, maybe slightly less VRAM than my test scene but it's not going to be too far off. Without resizing or removing image maps from your scene I can't see how this is going to work with your hardware. As Crosswind says, your log will tell you quite clearly if you've blown through your card's memory and I suspect you have.

Free download here if you don't already have GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,178
    edited May 20

Smoothing modifiers enabled can slow things down, especially with high iteration settings. Also use GPUz to check loading in the GPU/CPU. If it's not largely falling on the GPU, you'd need to find out why. I concurr with Timberwolf about figures & VRAM. A G8 character seems to take around 2Gb each. I can safely use 5 characters in my 12Gb RTX3060, but number 6 often tips it over to CPU rendering. In my last machine I had a GTX1060, 6Gb, and I could have 2 characters + simple background for GPU rendering, but no more.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,676

lstubbs2 said:

I've got an Nvidea Gforece RTX 3070.....

the scene in question does have 4 genesis 8 characters....when you add bikini tops and hair it gets shakey...

The RTX 3070 has just 8GB's of VRAM, out of which about half is available for Iray.

Depending on how big a SubD one uses, which hair and clothing is fitted to the characters, one could easily run out of VRAM with four G8 characters.