Any way to fix a broken file?

Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,455

I have a Daz Studio file that I worked on for hours last night, only to try to open it today, and it never opens.  It just shows the empty viewport, and the curser shows that it is "thinking", but nothing ever opens, and I eventually have to force quit Daz Studio.  I tried opening it regularly, and I tried merging it into a new, blank scene.  Both gave the same results.  It showed no signs of problems before I closed it last night, although it was a fairly large scene, I've done larger before with no issue.  Does anyone know any other ideas for getting the file to open?  I would really hate to have to start over :(

Comments

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,285

Was it compressed? If so, sorry, it is likely unrecoverable, unless someone else knows better...

• keraberakerabera Posts: 119
    edited May 11

first,put your viewport in "solide bounding box" and in the render tab, all parameters as "default", then close daz, wait 30s for the memory to self clean (memory of computer but also graphic card), restart daz, verify it's always "solide bounting box", then load the file, may be there is too more texture/asset and your memory is saturated.

second,if that not work you can try the tool "DSON Editor" to see if there is a problem in code. compare your file with one who work in the "dson editor". of course they aren't the same so the code aren't the same, but you can compare the structure in it to see where something is missing.

https://www.daz3d.com/dson-editor

i already saved a file with this.

Post edited by kerabera on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,603

If you have a text editor that can edit compressed file, like BBEdit (macOS), you can edit the file directly, otherwise you need to unzip it first, usually copy the duf, rename the copy .zip, then unzip it (somehwere belser, not where the original is).
    Then if you have a bit of understanding of teh JSON format (DSON is just like JSON, with a bit of extensions), you might be able to find the last changes you did (if you rmemeber what), and remove that from the file and save it. But, you need to understand JSON and how a JSON file is supposed to be formed to be a valid file.

Sometimes using  a JSON editor, like BBEdit (macOS) or NotePad++ (Windows) and tell the editor "This is a JSON file", ypu will get help assuring your changes do not corrupt the file.

• Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,455

Ah, well.  I tried kerabera s suggestion about the solid bounding box, and unfortunately it didn't work.  I don't know the first thing about JSONs, or the DSON editor, so I'm not comfortable attempting anything like that.  Oh well, at least I have a fuzzy test render that I can use to remind me how I set it up.  Thank you very much for trying, everyone!