OT: Books on Photography Recommendations?

In the past, many users on these boards have commented that they have backgrounds in real-life photography, and that they're often able to apply their experience to working within DAZ Studio (lighting styles, camera positioning, knowledge of lens/aperture settings, etc.).

Speaking as someone with no photography experience, I was wondering if one of you could recommend a good beginner's book on the subject that could double as an occasional reference for camerawork in Studio as well.

(Insert usual disclaimer here that camera/lighting concepts in real life versus DAZ Studio are not always 1:1. )

Comments

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,440

"The Book of Movie Photography" published in 1979 by David Cheshire. 

It is pre video,  pre digital,  it is shooting on 16mm film stock that you would need to develop through kodak.  And yet, it will help you learn about lighting, composition, storytelling, editing, there is even film theory in there.

As I did a quick search to check if it was available on Amazon,  one of the first search results is Internet Archive . org  if you want to have a look at the content.

• BlueFingersBlueFingers Posts: 827
    edited April 29

I also don't have a backgrond in photography but learned a lot from youtube videos on photography and cinematography. I found it quite helpful to find a photographer, cinematographer or even painter you really like as there are probably YT-videos that dive deeper in their style.

Here are some YT Channels/videos I found particularly helpful:

StudioBinder, they have excellent videos on a lot of different but relevant topics as lighting, colour temprature, composition, etc. I found it one of the best sources for me.

Tavis Leaf Glover, focuses a lot on Dynamy Symetry which I myself find a particularly fascinating subject.

There are loads more you can find with a quick search.

Post edited by BlueFingers on