I'm buying a desktop PC, and these are the specifications it has. How well would Daz3D run?

Desktop PC Core i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD + 240GB SSD, 24" monitor.

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,591
    edited April 25

...16 GB is pretty minimal.  I have 24 GB and find it limiting.  I would go for at least 32 (if not 64 GB) system RAM, a much larger HDD (2 GB minimum 4 GB preferable) for your Daz content library as they are not that expensive these days.   I would also use an SSD of that size only for the boot and programmes drive.  if you plan to render in Iray, you will need a GPU card, otherwise the process will be glacially slow. I would suggest nothing smaller than 12 GB of VRAM (RTX 3060 - around 280 USD) 16 preferable.(RTX 4060 Ti  - around 450 USD).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,524
    edited April 25

Current, in practice minimum requirements for Daz Studio at the moment; An nVidia RTX GPU with the very minimum 8GB's of VRAM (memory on card), minimum 12GB's of VRAM recomended, minimum 32GB's of RAM and a separate min 2TB storage drive for the content library.
    The PSU (power supply unit) needs to be big enough to drive the GPU and installed components. A good quality 750W goes a long way.

The rest doesn't matter that much.

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,368

It does depend which version of Daz Studio you are running.  DS 4.10 needs less ram (16gigs) than 4.22 which needs more. (32-64 gigs)

The RTX nvidia card will matter too. If you can find a system with a RTX 3060

• PitmaticPitmatic Posts: 782

This is a whole can of worms

The graphics card will be doing your rendering and you have not specified one

I was running a 3rd gen I7 with 16GB ram and a GTX1050 (in othewords the cpu did everything) it would run 4.22 just fine it all depends on what your doing but it was slow

Now I have a 13th gen I5, RTX3060 12gb and 32gb of ram 1tb ssd running windows and apps 2tb ssd for daz assets only using 25% of it so far and then i have 3 x 4TB external HDD's holding my work and 2 backups

compared to the old system the new one is about 6 to 8x faster ish depending on what your doing but even so it has on occasion locked up with daz doing silly things

The graphics card has run out of memory once or twice and the ram was exceed once i think but it all came down to the assets being used in combination but i do simple scenes your milage will vary.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,092

16gb RAM is the first blockage. Try 32 or 64.

The HDD can be upgraded later. You do need an nVidia GPU, and an RTX 3060 seems the most cost effective at the moment. But the RAM is more important. I found when I had a 16gb machine that when Windows tried to use page files instead of RAM, DS just departed. Furthermore, when starting to render with or without a GPU your RAM usage ends up being the DAZ Scene RAM usage + 2Gb per G8 + 2Gb for a simple background. G9 seems to me to take 2.5Gb per character as an average. Not sure why the increase is there. Anyway, the 'preparation to render' phase seems to use most RAM, and 16Gb may be OK for a scene with up to 4 characters.

Regards,

Richard

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,983
    edited April 25

Yup if you can afford more ram the better, and would want a decent nVidia GPU with the 3060 12GB model being very good.

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,357

Like others here, the least I would recommend for a DS system is 32 GBs of system RAM with an RTX 3060 12GB GPU (And yes, it does need to be the 3060, not the 3060 Ti, as the Ti variant has less VRAM).

While less than that is theoretically usable, it's quite limiting and I wouldn't be able to call it a good choice.

• dark_night_cpdark_night_cp Posts: 3
    edited April 25
    It doesn't come with a GPU included, but I plan to buy one RTX 3050 8GB. i have a question, could I use the 16GB RAM for rendering in Daz3D if I specifically use 3Delight?
    Post edited by dark_night_cp on
  • I plan to use Daz3d for drawing reference. The scenes I would create would mostly involve only three characters at most, or just one.
  • cjfeacjfea Posts: 198
    edited April 26

Hello.  I have been running Daz on an i7, 16 GB RAM, and and 1650 Super (4 GB) for almost 3 years.  Honestly, I would not recommend it.  I would follow the suggestions already offered (a minimum of 32 GB of RAM, an NVIDIA card with 12 GB of VRAM if at all possible and ideally 16 GB of VRAM).  Although GPU VRAM usage varies for each render, and some factors can be altered to reduce VRAM use, this video might be useful to consider:  Daz 3D : How Many Genesis 8 Models Fit On A RTX 3090? (youtube.com).  I hope you can find a suitable computer and will join our commnity.  Bests always.

Post edited by cjfea on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,591
    edited April 27

...If you are looking to use 3DL (or Carrara): system memory and CPU core count become even more important. While setting up scenes Daz only uses a single CPU core, however  3DL and teh Carrara render engines will use as manythreads  as you can throw at when rendering.  If that is what you are looking at I'd go with an AMD Ryzen CPU  as you can get more fast processor threads for the money than with Intel since the latter has gone to a CPU architecture that splits the i7/i9 CPU cores between efficiency (slower single threaded) and Power (faster dual threaded).cores.  For example an 8 core CPU will have 6 dual threaded and 2 single thread ores for a total of 14 instead of 16 threads. 

Also for Iray rendering keep in mind that Windows WDDM in 10 & 11 reserves about 1 GB of VRAM for its own purposes and there is no way around it.  So that 12 GB GPU actually has around 11 GB available for rendering.. The best way to go if you can afford it is a lower VRAM GPU to drive the display(s)  (or a CPU with built in graphics) and a higher VRAM one that is reserved just for rendering (not hooked up to the displays. (however this will slightly affect the response when using Iray view mode. 

Again it all depends on the complexity of the scenes you plan to create.  

I tend to go with fairly "heavy" scenes with a lot of figures, items and effects. as well as higher render quality and larger render formats.  If you are just doing portraits or single character/simple scenes, 12 GB of VRAM (and for 3DL a 12 core/24 thread Ryzen) should be more than enough.  If you are looking at using 3DL on a regular basis I would check out Wowie's AweShading kit (available at the other store, so apologies, no link) which can produce near Iray like quality  As most priducts today are created using only Iray shaders you will need this script: to help with conversion.

https://www.daz3d.com/rssy-iray-to-3delight-converter-and-merchant-resource

Here is a thread to see some of the results,  In particular check out hte images by Sven Dullah as he uses the AweShader.. 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/514336/show-us-more-of-your-3delight-renders/p1 ;

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,113

I've got the RTX 3050 8 GB. If you truly can't afford the 3060 12 GB, and you don't mind having to optimize sometimes, it's adequate. the 3060 would be better, but money is a thing. Good luck.