Could not open file/file does not exist

lclairelclaire Posts: 28

I know this isn't a "new" discussion, but I've tried to follow other threads and do what was suggested, but nothing has worked. Everything was fine, but something I did apparently messed things up — when I try to load much of my content, I get the "Could not open file/file does not exist" warning message. I have been trying to solve this on my own, but I need help now. I use DAZ3D as part of my workflow, and I'm dead in the water now. 

At this point, I don't care what it takes — if I have to do some kind of time-consuming stuff like clearing out and starting over, I'm willing.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,021

Is this Daz stoe content only? Wherea re you trying to load from - which pane, and if it is the Content Library which top-level container (Daz Studio Formats, Categories, products etc.)? How do you install? Do you have DS set to log-in to your account?

• lclairelclaire Posts: 28

It is all DAZ store–content only, yes. I have been trying to load from Smart Content (by double-clicking on the image of the product in the lineup), the way I always did. With some content, that method still works. I install using DAZ3DIM. I recently changed the preference that logged me in automatically (don't know when that feature started, as I didn't consciously choose to have it do that), hoping that might be the problem, but it didn't change anything. Tried double-clicking the same product in Content Library, and got the same result. I very much appreciate your help.

full disclosure: my DAZ library is on an external drive. At one point not long ago, I tried installing to the computer's hard drive but didn't hae enough room. I thought I had made sure to remove those paths in DIM, and I have made sure that DIM and the preferences in DS point to the external drive. I uninstalled and reinstalled everything also.

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 1.26.27 AM.png
    964 x 430 - 135K
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,405
    edited April 3

lclaire said:

It is all DAZ store–content only, yes. I have been trying to load from Smart Content (by double-clicking on the image of the product in the lineup), the way I always did. With some content, that method still works. I install using DAZ3DIM. I recently changed the preference that logged me in automatically (don't know when that feature started, as I didn't consciously choose to have it do that), hoping that might be the problem, but it didn't change anything. Tried double-clicking the same product in Content Library, and got the same result. I very much appreciate your help.

Which preferences did you change? Were they in Daz Studio or DIM? DIM only has "remember me" which has always been there. Have you installed anything through DS / Connect?

Post edited by frank0314 on

If you find one of the sets that doesn't work in the Products tab of Smart Content (the product itself, don't double-click to open it and see its files) and right-click on it do you have Install or Uninstall in the menu?

Uninstall 

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 12.53.35 PM.png
    1146 x 1314 - 1M

Try uninstalling then - if the DIM files are still in the content directory they should be found once the (apparently faulty) Connect install has gone.

Thank you, Richard. I will try it and let you know.

Things are behaving not entirely as expected, but with your instructions and some fiddling, I'm getting it to work. Thank you so much, Richard. So far, so good … Best regards.