Why are G8 nails messed up?

lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,066

I have this with every single G8 female figure. (Haven't checked male.) There is nothing dialed in for nails.

nails.jpg
767 x 629 - 111K
Post edited by lou_harper on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,772

In Parameters pane, with Show Hidden Properties checked, selecte Currently Used and see if there's any body morph(s) dialed...

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,066

crosswind said:

In Parameters pane, with Show Hidden Properties checked, selecte Currently Used and see if there's any body morph(s) dialed...

I did that and scrolled through until my eyes crossed over and this is the only thing I found–I assume Toon Generations. Turning it to 0 made no difference, which is no surprise since the enable is at 0. Turning that up didn't help either.

tg4.jpg
    394 x 122 - 18K

You selected Currently Used ? There's nothing dialed ?

edited March 28

This is it:

currently.jpg
    410 x 287 - 25K

If so, try Zeroing figure's shape to see if there's any change.

I did it with a G8 base figure loaded into the scene, no pose, nothing. I'm lost. But I realized I have too many G8 figures and I'm uninstalling a bunch.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,906

lou_harper said:

I did it with a G8 base figure loaded into the scene, no pose, nothing. I'm lost. But I realized I have too many G8 figures and I'm uninstalling a bunch.

A base figure isn't necessarily zeroed - if shapes ar saved with non-zero default values they will be applied but, because they are at their defaults, they will not show in Currently Used (I wish therte was a way to show non-zero values, which is what would help here)

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,149

Richard Haseltine said:

lou_harper said:

A base figure isn't necessarily zeroed - if shapes ar saved with non-zero default values they will be applied but, because they are at their defaults, they will not show in Currently Used (I wish therte was a way to show non-zero values, which is what would help here)

Is it possible to write a script to find non-zero morph values? If it is, then it would be a great kindness if someone who knew their way round DS scripting could make and post one.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,906
    edited March 28

MelanieL said:

Richard Haseltine said:

lou_harper said:

Is it possible to write a script to find non-zero morph values? If it is, then it would be a great kindness if someone who knew their way round DS scripting could make and post one.

It's on my (not so) little list. Edit: I think this would do the heavy lifting (heavy listing?) http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/properties/node_properties/start - it would just need a filter at the output stage to get the current value and list it only if it was non-zero.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,479

MelanieL said:

Richard Haseltine said:

lou_harper said:

Zeroing the figure makes those non-zero defaults also change their value to zero, and then they can be seen in "Currently used" with the value of 0 shown in white.

To fix any ill-behaving (non-zero default value) morphs, do as follows;

1. Open DS and load "Genesis 8 Basic Female" (to an empty scene)
    2. Right Click at Parameters Tab->Preferences->Choose "Show Hidden Properties" (part 3 zeroes only 'visible' dials)
    3. Right Click at Parameters Tab->Zero->Zero Figure (Zeroes the value of all the 'visible' dials)
    4. Right Click at Parameters Tab->Memorize->Memorize Figure (Sets the current value of all the dials as their default value)
    5. Edit->Save As->Support Asset->Save Modified Assets (Writes the changed default value to the morph files that were changed)

When saving "Modified Assets" DS shows a dialog and asks for confirmation;
    "The following file(s) will be permanently modified:" - "Accept/Cancel" - Choose "Accept"

edited March 28

Richard Haseltine said:

lou_harper said:

Genesis 8 Basic Female from G8 Starter essentials, and I ran Ultimate Zero on it. I don't know how much more zeroed I could get. Nails still messed up.

zero.jpg
    742 x 584 - 81K
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,479

lou_harper said:

Richard Haseltine said:

lou_harper said:

Genesis 8 Basic Female from G8 Starter essentials, and I ran Ultimate Zero on it. I don't know how much more zeroed I could get. Nails still messed up.

Ultimate Zero seems to be about zeroing bone translations and rotations, what you need is "Zero the figure", which zeroes the morphs as well

edited March 29

PerttiA said:

MelanieL said:

Richard Haseltine said:

lou_harper said:

Zeroing the figure makes those non-zero defaults also change their value to zero, and then they can be seen in "Currently used" with the value of 0 shown in white.

To fix any ill-behaving (non-zero default value) morphs, do as follows;

1. Open DS and load "Genesis 8 Basic Female" (to an empty scene)
    2. Right Click at Parameters Tab->Preferences->Choose "Show Hidden Properties" (part 3 zeroes only 'visible' dials)
    3. Right Click at Parameters Tab->Zero->Zero Figure (Zeroes the value of all the 'visible' dials)
    4. Right Click at Parameters Tab->Memorize->Memorize Figure (Sets the current value of all the dials as their default value)
    5. Edit->Save As->Support Asset->Save Modified Assets (Writes the changed default value to the morph files that were changed)

When saving "Modified Assets" DS shows a dialog and asks for confirmation;
    "The following file(s) will be permanently modified:" - "Accept/Cancel" - Choose "Accept"

Okay, that seems to have done it. Step 3 took 7 minutes. Step 5 should be File, not edit. ;) 

Thank you!!! I will save this for future reference.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846

There was a time when that was decent advise, and while it still works it can do more damage than good.

A couple of years back changes were made to DS, now every time you load a figure into DS a new system is forced onto that figure, which flags the figure as having been modified.

As a result if you use "zero figure" then you will zero out settings in the figure that should never be zeroed, and then save those zeroed settings into the figures DSF file when you use "save modified assets", basically breaking the figure.

Not as big a deal with G1 to G8.1, but with G9 you can leave yourself with a totally ****** figure.

If you have to use this method then use "Zero Figure Shape" instead, as that will just zero morph sliders, and wont touch any of the important settings in the figure.

The figure's main DSF file will still be overwritten, but at least you wont have bricked it by zeroing the figure's settings.