How to modify textures? [noob level]

I want to add a little country flag to a jacket model's texture, how do I do it? If you know, could you please help me? I'm a newbie, I'm almost clueless about it all. I have GIMP and have used it to do the same thing, but for a game I play. When I open the files for the Daz model I want to modify, I cannot find a "simple texture" to modifiy, but 3 types of textures: Difuse, Displacement, Normal. I have no idea what to make out of them.

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,657

You want to modify the diffuse texture, or Base Color if you are using Iray.

If you hoover your mouse over it, you can see what the file path is. Then take that into an image editing program and modify and save under a new name. When saved click on the image icon and select browse, and browse to where you have saved the texture. You could save the texture inside a Daz content library in the Runtime folder, or you can save it outside. If saved outside it will use an absolut path, if inside it will use a relative path.

When you have loaded your new texture you can save it as a new preset.

An alternative to modify the texture, is just to paint the flag on a image (e.g. have the original texture on one layer and paint the flag on a layer above), and then use layered image editor (also by clicking on the image icon).

• SadnicSadnic Posts: 64

Thank you, i'll try that

• Be sure to check for a translucency image as well.  If it has one that looks even slightly different, you'll want to take both into GIMP because it will have an effect on the result.  If you enable edge-snapping in GIMP, you can line them up perfectly.  Once they're lined up, carefully place your decal where you want it and save the session.  Saving this first attempt is important in case it doesn't come out how you imagined it when you drop the image into DAZ.  Because items and figures have various shapes, decals may end up in different positions than you thought they were in.

Drag and drop both into GIMP, line them up, and make your additions.  Make sure the addition isn't hanging over any edges.  Don't forget which image is the base and which is the translucency.  You'll want to export as jpg / jpeg.  Hide one, export the other, and name it accordingly.  Then export again after switching to the other one.  It's a full switch, so hide the first one you did and show the other.

Important note: Before you drop these into DAZ, store them in a directory you're going to keep using for the project, then add them to DAZ from that location.  If you move them later, DAZ may not be able to find them next time you open this project.  Though it does copy these images into cache, if you clear the cache, the image being used goes poof.  If this happens, DAZ won't crash or break the project, but the changes will simply disappear as if you never made them.