How do we make sunrays?

Hi everyone! smiley

Can someone help explain to me how to make sunrays like on those pictures, please? I have tried with spotlights so far but it doesn't work. My scene is a day scene so I need light everywhere but also sunrays. Like on the example pictures. 

Also, I'm not a pro at Daz so if possible to explain it in some simple words it would be very appreciated. I don't understand the technical terms yet. T-T

Thank you in advance!

forest-light.jpg
1600 x 1067 - 262K
2852663843_08e6346d9e_c.jpg
800 x 600 - 263K
123.png
1280 x 720 - 2M

Comments

• pctech4nypctech4ny Posts: 177
    edited March 27

In Daz terminology those would be called "godrays." (Oddly enough, I was just researching those yesterday and this morning, because I was wanting to create a visible "spotlight beam" effect - I'll try to make one tomorrow and see what happens.)

The theory is that light has to bounce off something to be visible, so the usual trick is to create a prop object to stand in for the dust / haze/ atmosphere. So that when the light from the spotlight hits the prop, the light will be visible. The prop has to have a bunch of surface settings changed for this to work.

There are products in the store if you search for "godrays" but it would be best to understand how to use them.

Here's a links to a classic tutorial by Sickleyield, plus a couple more: I found on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQuaK-ft0I8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHQpHdvZeMg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taK2QYkha_o

Post edited by pctech4ny on
  • Justin_AmesJustin_Ames Posts: 136

Thank you, I'm gonna check this out and try my best!

Please let me know how it went on your try smiley

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

I think of God rays as shadow rays; you need something between the light source and where you want the rays to appear and a volume for them to pass through and make them visible. For example in a forest you need trees between the light source and the ground and the scene surrounded by a volume cube or sphere. Getting the volume right to get the rays is the hard part.

• Justin_AmesJustin_Ames Posts: 136
    edited April 1

I saw that video already but it seems only good for when making some indoor's godrays. My scene is an outdoor one who already has a sun light preset. Adding spotlights to my scene doesn't work, unfortunately. I need a way to make some godrays that works in outdoor environnements. 

Post edited by Justin_Ames on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

As I said in my post "For example in a forest you need trees between the light source and the ground and the scene surrounded by a volume cube or sphere.". The trees cause the shadows which produces the rays. If the sun doesn't work on its own use a strong Distant Light coming from the sun, or turn the intensity of the sun up and use Tone Mapping to get the required lighting in the scene .

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,479

Justin_Ames said:

I saw that video already but it seems only good for when making some indoor's godrays. My scene is an outdoor one who already has a sun light preset. Adding spotlights to my scene doesn't work, unfortunately. I need a way to make some godrays that works in outdoor environnements. 

It doesn't matter, whether it's indoors or outdoors, you need fog, dust, smoke, etc in the scene for the lightrays to show