Trying to recover long-lost V4 items from crashed computer

Very old computer, had a major malfunction.  Gave up on recovering anything.  Well, now (years later), I have time and tried, and i can recover SOME of the stuff.  Mostly the packages.  V4 is gone.  Most of the DAZ content folder is gone.  So - I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to recover the V4 items, and then use "Wear Them All" to 'up-promote' the various items.  So far - no joy.  The  directory structure for new stuff is way different, I can't figure out where things go, when I try they aren't showing up in the content folder, and they certainly aren't selectable.  (As I understand it, with WTA, I need to use the utility to get them on G3F or G2F, then I can use Autofit to 'promote' them.   Well, I can't find the stuff, let alone select it onto G3F or G2F.

Quick and dirty answer needed.  Is this even worth my time to keep fiddling with this?  Or give it up as a lost cause and search for other things that would require altering (slightly) a storyline?  (I've probably already put way too much time into this exercise in tilting at windmills, anyway).

Comments

• yxk03yxk03 Posts: 19

Are you saying you still have the old Runtime/libraries/<x> folders? That diretory format is still supported if you DAZ at it. Click on the hamburger menu for the content library, go to "Content Directory Manager", click on "Poser Formats", click "Add" in the left pane, and in the screen that pops up navigate to your DAZ 3D folder or whatever folder Runtime is in. Then it should show up under "Poser Formats" in the content library.

• nkluksdahlnkluksdahl Posts: 13

No, unfortunately the content library is mangled.  A few of those disk sectors apparently had a head impact, so the content library is gone, quite thoroughly unrecoverable.  I DO have the packages that I downloaded - they were on a separate partition and mostly survived and are readable.  But - I tried to install them, and I cannot find them inside my content library.  I'm not sure if I can recover Victoria 4 - I tried to reload, and can't find her.  It's a freakin' mess.  That's why I asked if it's worth by time to try to piece this all back together - and that starts with "where in the world is Victoria 4.0?"  (sorry - it's early and knee pain kept me up all half the night!).   Then the time to  reload the content and then time tto do Wear Them All 'up convert'.  I'm a little discouraged that it's worth my time.

A reinstalled package should just work, as far as I know. I assume these are those older packages with .exe installers, but look for a directory called, say, Runtime/libraries/props, which would have to be in the older format, and try pointing Daz at the directory that that Runtime is in as above.

The main thing is that you have to access older content through the "Poser Formats" section in the "content library" tab, or else daz will refuse to see it. The trick is just getting it in there.

Thanks for the tip.  Going to give it a go, and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, I'm going to be really bummed.  I'll let you know if it works.

Hot damn!  My content is just where you said it was - the Poser format tab.  And I can fit things to G3F!   Thanks much.  As in really, really much!   Viel Danke.  Muchas gracias.  Merci beaucoup!  Bol'shoye spasibo  Arigatōgozaimasu.  Grazie mille!  Gratias tibi valde!  (Hope one of those does 'thanks' for you laugh )

Guess I won't have to fall back to my 'feel sorry for myself' plan - which was to try to bundle my wall-safe model into a product to share!  (Kidding - that's on my to-do list!)

No problem, glad you asked something I actually knew.