Will I Regret These Updates?

I am, by nature, anxious about any new updates when it comes to working with Daz Studio.  I tend to hold off on committing to them for as long as I can because my art is my monthly income, and I really can't afford disruptions.  As an example of such disruption, I recently installed HEAT and watched as my entire workflow became unreasonably slow.  I uninstalled HEAT (without even actually using it once) and that seemed to fix the issue.  So I really try to avoid such situations.

To that end, can anyone--based upon their own experience and/or knowledge--reassure me or dissuade me when it comes to the following updates I have not yet made:  Daz Studio 4.22, NVIDIA Driver 551.61, and the latest Genesis 9 Starter Essentials (less than a week old on Install Manager, I believe).  I worry that the Gen 9 update somehow ties into DS 4.22, which I do not have installed.

And while I'm here, can someone point me to a "Saving a Previous Version of Daz Studio for Dummies" thread?  I want to save DS 4.21 before I even think about installing 4.22, but I've never tried to save a previous version.  Sorry for coming off as such a scairdy cat.  Thanks!

If it helps, I'm using an AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-core processor, an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090, and I've got 128GB of installed RAM in the system.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,350

Backing up the installers is simple enough, as long as you kept them - just copy the files for Daz Studio and the standard plug-ins. If you do want to reinstall all you need to do is copy them back to the Downloads folder in place of the current versions, then run DIM in Offline mode so it can't see the newer version on the server.

As for your main question, why not use the beta (which is just slightly ahead of the general release) as a test? You would need to reinstall any non-Daz plug-ins if this was your first beta, and make sure the content directories matched, but it should let you compare for the most part.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,465

If you do the Beta it doesn't replace the General release, so you will have both installed

• jbdiminniejbdiminnie Posts: 76

I am running Daz 4.22 and the latest NVidia drivers with no issues (rendering or dForce related)--the new hair shaders are awesome, by the way.  One thing different I have noticed is when I close Daz Studio now it goes and clears the scene (I assume it is clearing the undo stack as well) before shutting down, which can take quite a while if you were working on a scene with a lot of assets.  I believe this is in place of Daz doing this in the background after shutdown, since looking at Task Manager I no longer see Daz running in the background after it clears the scene and shuts down.  Something to keep in mind...

• bicc39bicc39 Posts: 589

How do you uninstall Heat?

Thank you

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

bicc39 said:

How do you uninstall Heat?

Thank you

you can disable the plugin from the Plug-Ins pane.  then uninstall the plug-in via DIM (the DAZ install manager), if you use DIM for your installations.  just open DIM, switch to the INSTALLED products tab, type Heat in the search field, highlight the plugin, and from the ...option select 'uninstall'.  it will turn back up in DIM's products-to-download menu, but you can hide the download there so it doesn't haunt you forever after.  it may also appear in DIM's downloaded tab if you don't have DIM set to delete product zips after installation.

good luck!  i uninstalled it, myself...i had too much crashiness after the installation.

j