HEAT Animation Plugin License Clarification

The HEAT Animation plugin has an interactive option, but the HEAT website says Pro Tier is required for commercial usage. 

So for export to a commercial game do I need an interactive license AND a HEAT Pro Tier plan or just the interactive license?

Thanks

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,869

I am hoping a few more people will weigh in on this "free" plugin before I "buy" it because 2 months free sounds like a lead up to a subscription I may not want

I prefer buying animations as I need them and do so already

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,220

I signed up, and I'll probably spend some time with it tomorrow.

I don't understand how a plugin can have an interactive license, especially when that plugin is just a bridge to a different program. Any licensing on Heat's animations would be covered by Heat's license, not some add-on license from the Daz store.

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,074

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I am hoping a few more people will weigh in on this "free" plugin before I "buy" it because 2 months free sounds like a lead up to a subscription I may not want

I prefer buying animations as I need them and do so already

To me, the understanding is:

• you can get the DAZ plugin for free, no strings attached, and it triggers some nice discounts in March Madness too.
    • with the plugin, you get access to 25 moves offered by an external vendor as part of their HEAT app; if you want more, you can get them for free for 2 months, but then you'll have to pay monthly fee.

I have no insights regarding the interactive license/pro tier requirement. Sounds to me like the interactive license was just added automatically to the product listing (or it applies to the plugin itself) and the Pro Tier at HEAT is still required.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,770
    edited March 1

I Just applied to become a HEAT vendor as I specialize In Ragdoll collision animations created with the discontinued Endorphin software.

Post edited by wolf359 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,076

We have asked about the additional licenses.

yeah nah, don't even know what the subscription after 2 months is, the 25 free ones will do me yes

I have already bought Genesis 9 animations here and can convert others from earlier figures

from what I gather you need to stay subscribed to even use them

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,527

WendyLuvsCatz said:

yeah nah, don't even know what the subscription after 2 months is, the 25 free ones will do me yes

I have already bought Genesis 9 animations here and can convert others from earlier figures

from what I gather you need to stay subscribed to even use them

That would be a deal breaker... No way would I keep paying them until the end of times, just because I have used them in some scenes. 

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited March 1

Has anyone actually managed to get this to work? I have installed it via DIM and all the bits seem to be there, but I just get a HEAT Bridge is not connected message witha suggestion to download it - which I have.

Heat.jpg
    805 x 1088 - 50K
    Post edited by SimonJM on
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

SimonJM said:

Has anyone actually managed to get this to work? I have installed it via DIM and all the bits seem to be there, but I just get a HEAT Bridge is not connected message witha suggestion to download it - which I have.

I have a suspicion I know what  the issue is, the bridge does not seem to work under Windows 7. 

• generalgameplayinggeneralgameplaying Posts: 505
    edited March 1

Such a subscription would only make sense, if i can import to daz studio for instance, and keep using those. But then export to blender? A game?

Assumption could be, similar to using in games, that you can keep selling the game, if you had the proper license at the time of export. But is it the case? What with DAZ Studio?

I see questionmarks...

(Looks like one of the bridging plugins, so the license question really is important.)

Post edited by generalgameplaying on

generalgameplaying said:

Such a subscription would only make sense, if i can import to daz studio for instance, and keep using those. But then export to blender? A game?

The Heat Bridge also exports to Blender and Unity.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,303
    edited March 2

Ignore anything that was previously here, I confused this with another addon that was recently made available.  Ooopsie and sorry.

Post edited by Faeryl Womyn on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,156
    edited March 2

for those asking about this plugin

The Heat plugin is free, the content for the plugin how ever is not free.  You get 25 animations with the Free tier for a month as a trial period once you conntect the plugin to your unreal account.. which is free https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/

But unfortunately we don't get the hundreds of free animations , The pluging or bridge only get you the marketplace window for the available animations inside unreal App that you can FXB the animation into programs like daz studio, blender, unreal, etc.

So after doing a little digging. and R &D Because I am interested in anything animation.  

According to the Unreal site (https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/heat-beta-plug-in) you linked the free bridge/plugin to your unreal account & you get 25 free "movements" (I assume that's FXB animations?) for a month.

Then after your 1 month trial period ends I guess you can subscribe for a level tier something like $20 a month hobby or $40  per month for pro to get the full library, or you can purchase the motions individually as needed directly from the unreal market place with in the plugin/bidge.  & of course you can shop the FXB animation without the plugin/bridge  https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/content-cat/assets/animations?count=20&sortBy=effectiveDate&sortDir=DESC&start=0

My 2 cents I would Fuhgeddaboudit.

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited March 2

SimonJM said:

SimonJM said:

I have a suspicion I know what  the issue is, the bridge does not seem to work under Windows 7. 

you have to have a unreal account that it connects to  https://docs.heat.tech/getting-started-the-heat-marketplace/quick-start

Post edited by Ivy on
  • N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,437

First the Omni Hair Shader, and now the HEAT plugin. Two more things my my Daz library that I will never use. 

Thanks, Daz yes

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,232

Well, the Free tier is Free. When you use the link to get the free two months, a code appears in the windows which is good for the next tier up - price = $0.00

However, we need to enter payment credentials in order to get it. I have a feeling that that next tire grants more animations.

The bad news is that the animation I imported from there wasn't glued to the floor. The feet slide around as the hip stays in place. I'll talk to them and see what I can find out.

generalgameplaying said:

Assumption could be, similar to using in games, that you can keep selling the game, if you had the proper license at the time of export. But is it the case? What with DAZ Studio?

I see questionmarks...

(Looks like one of the bridging plugins, so the license question really is important.)

The animations are covered under Unreal Engines ELUA https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/eula/unreal

Daz studio has nothing to do with licensing other than they offer you a market place to buy the animation from unreal

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,906

Ivy said:

Then after your 1 month trial period ends I guess you can subscribe for a level tier something like $20 a month hobby or $40  per month for pro to get the full library, or you can purchase the motions individually as needed directly from the unreal market place with in the plugin/bidge.  & of course you can shop the FXB animation without the plugin/bridge  https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/content-cat/assets/animations?count=20&sortBy=effectiveDate&sortDir=DESC&start=0

That's interesting that the prices are different from the unreal page to the heat site itself. I checked on their website and it was 25 a month for personal and 75 for commercial use. I picked up the thing today here on the site to try it, but I know I'll never spend 75 a month. 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,232

Maybe I need a bigger screen? These ads are wrecking my forum experience here. PM me if you need to get in touch. I wish they didn't block the whole bottom of my screen like they do!

Now to figure out how to get to the "Post Comment" button without inviting spam into my world! Yikes!!!

Dartanbeck said:

Maybe I need a bigger screen? These ads are wrecking my forum experience here. PM me if you need to get in touch. I wish they didn't block the whole bottom of my screen like they do!

Now to figure out how to get to the "Post Comment" button without inviting spam into my world! Yikes!!!

are you using Chrome? AdBlock Plus works for me

Dartanbeck said:

Well, the Free tier is Free. When you use the link to get the free two months, a code appears in the windows which is good for the next tier up - price = $0.00

However, we need to enter payment credentials in order to get it. I have a feeling that that next tire grants more animations.

The bad news is that the animation I imported from there wasn't glued to the floor. The feet slide around as the hip stays in place. I'll talk to them and see what I can find out.

That has always been my experience with game engines animation as well. I never had any luck in using any of Unreal's or cry-engine animated motions in daz studio, either with BHV format or the FXB. I had alot of skeleton joint movement issues. I'm not sure if its the model they use or how daz studio imports the fxb motion to the daz timeline

edited March 2

benniewoodell said:

Ivy said:

That's interesting that the prices are different from the unreal page to the heat site itself. I checked on their website and it was 25 a month for personal and 75 for commercial use. I picked up the thing today here on the site to try it, but I know I'll never spend 75 a month. 

I got that info from the UE introduction page. I didn't read down as far as the commercial pricing, I won't be buying any of it for my needs either

But I think its a great idea for people game developers mostly who would get a lot of use from the UE store.  For my use not so much.

Post edited by Ivy on

if there is an option to buy their motions singly or in bundles from the Unreal Marketplace I may use it but not as a subscription or with them having my credit card details, ongoing PayPal deductions etc

I already buy many Unreal animation assets anyway and my only subscription to ANYTHING is DAZ+ and that is even not a regular given.

a system like Reallusion's Actorcore would be fine with me

edited March 2

WendyLuvsCatz said:

if there is an option to buy their motions singly or in bundles from the Unreal Marketplace I may use it but not as a subscription or with them having my credit card details, ongoing PayPal deductions etc

I already buy many Unreal animation assets anyway and my only subscription to ANYTHING is DAZ+ and that is even not a regular given.

a system like Reallusion's Actorcore would be fine with me

They did ask for a credit card or payment methord and thats when i clicked off the site 

Post edited by Ivy on
  • N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,437
    edited March 2

Dartanbeck said:

The bad news is that the animation I imported from there wasn't glued to the floor. The feet slide around as the hip stays in place. I'll talk to them and see what I can find out.

That's probably what this is for (conveniently): https://www.daz3d.com/tackyfeet-plugin

Post edited by N-RArts on
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,770
    edited March 2

Thank you for this deep dive of thise service @Ivy

Still alot of unanswered questions but in the end we are in an era where mocap is ubiquitous.
    but not universally compatible with every 3D character rig type

The only way to extract commercial value from it is to provide RETARGETING methods for the specific character rig types for the eco systems to whom you are selling your mocap files/services.
    it does not matter how the mocpa is harvested as even the new AI 
    camera/video based systems need to be RETARGETED to your particular rigs in your software ecosystem at some point.

I can already do this myself with My Blender ARP rigs or Iclone 3DX or Autodesk Maya.

It looks like HEAT is doing this RETARGETING to Daz genesis 8-9
    for a monthly rental fee.
    However if you pay the $75 per month for a commercial use license  that is $900 in a year.

Which is exactly what it would cost you to buy
    a perpetual license of Reallusion Iclone & Character creator 8.4
    and create bespoke animation for genesis 1,2,3,8,9
    and export to Daz studio as well as retarget canned mocap from Mixamo and any other sources such UE market.

or you could pay only $600 USD for the old Iclone 7 & 3Dxchange pipeline (That I use)
    as iti is still available from Reallusion, and does the same thing.

But if  you really are into the whole pay monthly thing ,you can rent the Mighty Autodesk Maya indie for $300 per year and retarget to Daz figures,as long as your income is below $100,000 annual.

Pick your poison laugh

Post edited by wolf359 on
    edited March 2

Ivy said:

SimonJM said:

SimonJM said:

you have to have a unreal account that it connects to  https://docs.heat.tech/getting-started-the-heat-marketplace/quick-start

That only seems to be true IF you're using it with Unreal. I installed the Daz/Blender/Unity bridge, and was never asked for an Unreal account. I haven't yet figured out how to actually import animations to a Genesis figure in DS, but as far as I can tell there's no actual requirement to have an Unreal account.

I also saw this in the FAQ, which is potentially of interest, even if it's a little unclear what it actually means.

heatplan.PNG
    882 x 184 - 14K
    Post edited by Gordig on

Haha. At least in my case, there seems to be a pretty severe delay between telling the Heat bridge to import something and DS receiving the message, because ten or so import windows suddenly popped up all at once.

I might wait another day before trying it (bought free plugin and installed first bit in DIM)

make sure all bugs sorted, I have enough issues with my Win10 D|S installation as is

pity about Win7 if true as that works beautifully with Smart content etc just cannot render anything in iray in my lifetime

• emanuela1emanuela1 Posts: 488

I tried to install the plugin and the bridge, but I had the following problems:
    1- as for SimonJM when you click the plug in a message appears saying that the bridge is not connected asking you to download it
    2- fails to install the bridge, because it is blocked by the antivirus which considers it dangerous
    3- with the basic account that you get by logging in to daz there are 10 movements available and not 25.
    4- to have access to the two months of free promotion you must provide credit card credentials, even if there is nothing to pay. This is sensitive information. I don't want to give out my credit card credentials online just to try a service that I might not need.
    5- after the end of the promotion the price is high and perhaps it is more convenient to buy the individual movements there or elsewhere.
    I also share all the concerns of others in the forum about license limitations.
    It is not clear whether the movements can also be saved locally and used even after the account expires and to what extent they can be used. From the website FAQ it seems to understand that if you cancel your account you can no longer use it.
    For all these reasons I believe this promotion is of dubious use to me.
    It is also possible that I misunderstood something and I would like to know the experience and opinion of others on this service. Thanks everyone for the replies.