Does Poser have an uninstaller?

I know this seems like it should be asked in the Poser section, but sometimes there is very little traffic there... I figured this would get a quicker answer here... 

I'd like to uninstall Poser Pro 2012 and do a clean reinstall, but I don't see any uninstaller... I got a "Poser Pro executables has stopped working" message and stupid windows just keeps closing Poser to "search for a solution" (hint: there is none)...

Is there no uninstaller or is it somewhere I'm not seeing... I'm using Windows 7 pro, I looked where I think it should be, but nothing... Do I just trash it and reinstall?  I googled it and all I found was one Mac related question and lots of shady sites "selling" uninstaller software "good for remove you poser anytime so good, click here..." Yeah... 

Anyway, thanks in advance if you know the answer to that... Double thanks if you tell me about it... 

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,582

Mine does, hit the start button, navigate up to Smith Micro and then Poser Pro 2012 and the last option is uninstall. Which reminds me I should probably uninstall since I never use it, LOL.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

Thank you.  

Poser has to be up and running though? It keeps trying to start, but the moment it gets past the splash screen, Windows insists on shutting it down... That old "the program has stopped working, windows will close it and search for a solution" message is getting tired... How about not shutting it down and letting me fix it because I know what the solution is... I changed the preference to embedded library and the stupid thing tanked, if it would just stop the drama, I could switch it back. 

• Can you uninstall it with CCleaner?

• Have you tried through the windows control panel? control panel > programs and features.

Have you tried through the windows control panel? control panel > programs and features.

Nope, but that is probably the sort of thing I should try, I've primarily been a Mac user for too many years and have become used to doing stuff the Mac way... Only a few months ago I ditched Apple... That's exactly the kind of answer I needed... I forgot about that way of uninstalling things.... I had to fix something on my father-in-law's computer a couple and I did it that way... It didn't uninstall everything I think it was supposed to, but probably better than if I attempted it manually... I totally forgot about that.  I'll give it a try and see how that turns out... Thanks.

Can you uninstall it with CCleaner?

When I googled the problem I was having I kept coming across many sites touting different uninstallers... Most of them seemed quite hinky... I was going to try and solve the problem using Poser's native uninstaller first, before resorting to a separate application.

Does Windows have problems uninstalling stuff... There seem to be a lot of uninstallers out there? 

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

Ignor all those uninstallers.

For Windows 7 and up (from Microsoft)

To uninstall or change a program

1. Open Programs and Features by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then clicking Programs and Features.

2. Select a program, and then click Uninstall. Some programs include the option to change or repair the program in addition to uninstalling it, but many simply offer the option to uninstall. To change a program, click Change or Repair. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

• McGyver said:

When I googled the problem I was having I kept coming across many sites touting different uninstallers... Most of them seemed quite hinky... I was going to try and solve the problem using Poser's native uninstaller first, before resorting to a separate application.

Does Windows have problems uninstalling stuff... There seem to be a lot of uninstallers out there? 

Unfortunately there are, or were, severals tandard isntaller makers plus home brew systems and their quality did vary. For the most part, in my experience, the main installers and unisntallers do work but I have had a few occasions when an unisntaller has become corrupt. However, regardless of the scale of the actual problem people are always prepared to believe the worst, and that has created an opportunity for utility makers to sell tools.

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447
    McGyver said:

Depends on the application being uninstalled.

Some applications have a tendency to resemble viruses in some ways, by embedding themselves so deeply into the OS internals that they might as well be (and Poser was one of them), and can be just as painful to remove.  The reason (or rationale) for this was so the app's developers could implement functionality "on the cheap" -- the most glaring instance of this was the Poser Libraries display: it actually made API calls into Internet Explorer!  And when a Poser user upgraded his/her version of IE, whether intentionally or not (Windows Update was always to blame for that, and under Windows 10, you cannot turn it off), the Libraries pane blew up, big-time.  Another was the Libraries' pane's hyper-sensitivity to IE's LAN settings; automatic configuration had to be disabled, else the Library pane would go AWOL; it wouldn't throw any exceptions, it just wouldn't display anything.  Nothing but a big empty piece of real estate on the Poser UI.

And you don't even want to get me started on the registry keys some programs leave lying about...!  I have yet to encounter any application's uninstaller that cleans up after itself vis-a-vis the registry.  Leftover registry entries usually aren't harmful, but they do occupy space on the disk and in memory; and having to sift through a lot of irrelevant keys can degrade performance.