How to bring Unreal Engine 4/5 characters to Daz3D

Hey guys! I'm delving deeper and deeper into Daz3D and I'm very happy with what this wonderful software can bring to us, and now I'm curious to know if it would be possible to import 3D characters from UE4/UE5 into Daz3D. Well, I know that it is possible to export characters from Daz to Unreal Engine, but now from Unreal Engine to Daz I haven't seen any tutorial explaining it on the internet. Could you guys explain to me how can I do that?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,823

only way I have is using Poser 11+

• Magic Dragon 3DMagic Dragon 3D Posts: 98
    edited February 22

WendyLuvsCatz said:

only way I have is using Poser 11+

Isn't there a plugin or something like that that allows me to import characters from Unreal Engine 4/5 directly into Daz? I remember that when I used 3DS Max 2020, there was a plugin made by Gildor called ActorX Importer that imports .psk files directly into the software with skeleton. Is there something similar for Daz? 

Post edited by Magic Dragon 3D on
    edited February 22

yes, Poser LOL

DAZ started out as a Poser content creator and can still load much of it's content

Unlike DAZ studio, Poser11 onwards has a robust FBX importer so saving imports in Poser cr2 format and then loading into DAZ studio, converting to weighmapping and saving as support asset figure can work and can in most cases load their BVH animations from Unreal too

there are other limitations such as no limits, having to redo  shaders/materials, not able to work with DAZ content etc

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • WendyLuvsCatz said:

yes, Poser LOL

DAZ started out as a Poser content creator and can still load much of it's content

Unlike DAZ studio, Poser11 onwards has a robust FBX importer so saving imports in Poser cr2 format and then loading into DAZ studio, converting to weighmapping and saving as support asset figure can work and can in most cases load their BVH animations from Unreal too

there are other limitations such as no limits, having to redo  shaders/materials, not able to work with DAZ content etc

Sorry for my ignorance! LOL I didn't know that. Is there any tutorial explaining this on YouTube? I've seen several characters from games like Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher, The Last Of Us and others converted for Daz G8F or G8M! I was curious to know how to do this because apparently it must be something quite complex, right?

those are mostly converted to morphs of Genesis 8 etc using obj exports in a program that was called Wrap3D but has other names now

not directly imported

and no tutorials for what I have done at all and sadly I do not even have Poser installed at the moment so cannot even make one

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

those are mostly converted to morphs of Genesis 8 etc using obj exports in a program that was called Wrap3D but has other names now

not directly imported

and no tutorials for what I have done at all and sadly I do not even have Poser installed at the moment so cannot even make one

Got it. Is this Wrap3D a software or something? I was interested in knowing how this conversion process works! I'll look for some tutorials to find out how to do this.

edited February 22

I don't own it and yes it's a rather expensive Russian software for shape matching meshes and projecting vertex shading

I googled, it's called Faceform now to look for tutorials on that

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • WendyLuvsCatz said:

I don't own it and yes it's a rather expensive Russian software for shape matching meshes and projecting vertex shading

I googled, it's called Faceform now to look for tutorials on that

I also saw their website, and it looks promising! I'll search for some tutorials about this software and see how I can convert my Unreal characters to Daz3D! It won't be easy of course, but with time I should get the hang of it! The problem is that it's paid software, so I'm going to look for a trial and see if it meets my needs. Thanks for your help!

• It may be worth trying the FBX import in the current beta - the chnage log showed a lot of updates to that.

Richard Haseltine said:

It may be worth trying the FBX import in the current beta - the chnage log showed a lot of updates to that.

thanks, it was yes

• Jay VersluisJay Versluis Posts: 245

Hi Luan, I've made a mini series about the process of converting a body scan into a G8 character with Wrap. This might get you started on your conversion journey:

This software used to be called R3DS Wrap (or Russian 3D Scanner), but since the war the company have relocated to Armenia and changed their name to Faceform, so now it's just called Wrap or Faceform Wrap.

Hope this helps!

• Jay Versluis said:

Hi Luan, I've made a mini series about the process of converting a body scan into a G8 character with Wrap. This might get you started on your conversion journey:

This software used to be called R3DS Wrap (or Russian 3D Scanner), but since the war the company have relocated to Armenia and changed their name to Faceform, so now it's just called Wrap or Faceform Wrap.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for making this video explaining step by step how it should be done!