[Released] RSSY Hair Converter from Genesis 3 to Genesis 9 [Commercial]

RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,371
edited February 12 in Daz PA Commercial Products

Finally, use your favorite Genesis 3 Hair without limitations on your Genesis 9 characters!  Automatically convert almost your entire library of Hair items using the new Hair Converter from Genesis 3 Female to Genesis 9 or the Hair Converter from Genesis 3 Male to Genesis 9!  The Hair Converter scripts provide batch execution for automatically converting your Genesis 3 Hair to Genesis 9 Hair in your library.  Easily select the hair items in your library, select an output directory, and execute the script.  Even better, icons and categories are copied from your original Genesis 3 hair to the new Genesis 9 hair items. 

Your new Genesis 9 hair is completely Smart Content aware!  They will show up when you select a Genesis 9 character.  Plus, all materials shown in Smart Content for your Genesis 3 item will show for your converted Genesis 9 item. 

• Convert Genesis 3 Hair, including multi-part hair such as wearables, for use by Genesis 9 characters.
  • Adds new movement bones to converted hair, adding functionality the original products lacked (may not work with all dForce hair)
  • Copies icons from Genesis 3 hair to Genesis 9 hair for a professional look
  • Copies Smart Content Products! Converted hair will be organized into similar products as the original items.  The converted product mirrors the original hair items' products, organizing multiple converted items into one converted product and even using the product image from the original products.
  • Converted Hair are Smart Content enabled! All materials shown in Smart Content for your Genesis 3 item will show for your converted Genesis 9 item.
  • Automatically convert your entire library of hair with one operation!

Items without metadata can be converted but will not show up in Smart Content.  They may also need to be converted using a Force Convert Item(s) button. 

The script may not be able to convert all hair items without issues.  Mid and high-level ponytails that were originally moved with bones will lose that functionality during the conversion process.  In addition, though beards can be converted by the script, because of limitations in the conversion process, open mouth expressions can possibly tear on the facial hair.

The script adds rigged bones to hairs on conversion, but cannot do this with hairs where the entire hair was grown from a cap with dForce (there isn’t enough actual geometry to work with, because dForce strands can’t be seen as geometry by Transfer Utility). It WILL work with hairs like many AprilYSH hairs that have dForce but also have geometry.

main.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 310K
popup_1.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 390K
popup_2.jpg
1100 x 1300 - 269K
popup_3.jpg
1408 x 1000 - 230K
popup_4.jpg
2000 x 1300 - 656K
popup_5.jpg
2000 x 1300 - 574K
popup_6.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 266K
Post edited by RiverSoft Art on

Comments

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,371

And it is released!

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,027

This is great! Into the cart it goes :D

FenixPhoenix said:

This is great! Into the cart it goes :D

Thank you for the support! smiley

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,635
    edited February 14

I too picked this up ... but I'm having an issue where it doesn't want to recognise any of the hairs. Does this script like the hairs to be in the default locations (I tend to put all my hair under a general 'Hair' folder (G1/G2/G3/G8/G9 hairs all under one main folder rather than their respective figure folders)?

The log just says "Skipping..." for any G3M/F hair I add. I even tried adding my whole hair directory and it skipped everything.

If I stop it checking the file type, I can get it to add the file but on execution/convert/force-convert, the log says "No conformer assigned" (I've tried checking just one conformer or multiple in that tab).

Log extract:

19:18:42 GMT+0930 (AUS Central Standard Time): No Conformer assigned. Skipping Preset: D:/3D Runtimes/Content/Hair/Agent Hair G3M/Agent Hair Male.duf

19:18:42 GMT+0930 (AUS Central Standard Time): Execution Complete.

It's possible I just installed it wrong (it's in the default location for Content\Scripts\Riversoft Art\Hair Converter). I followed the steps in the manual with having just blank G9 loaded in the scene. Any help appreciated.

Edit: On a related note - I have your G8 to G9 clothing converter with a similar UI and that works as expected.

Post edited by Silent Winter on

Silent Winter said:

I too picked this up ... but I'm having an issue where it doesn't want to recognise any of the hairs. Does this script like the hairs to be in the default locations (I tend to put all my hair under a general 'Hair' folder (G1/G2/G3/G8/G9 hairs all under one main folder rather than their respective figure folders)?

The log just says "Skipping..." for any G3M/F hair I add. I even tried adding my whole hair directory and it skipped everything.

Is the metadata correct for the hair?  When adding a directory, it uses the metadata to see that it is correct.  If that is not correct, there is a bug where it trying to use the wrong default.  In that case, it looks for stuff to be in the correct "Genesis 3 Female/Hair" directory.

If I stop it checking the file type, I can get it to add the file but on execution/convert/force-convert, the log says "No conformer assigned" (I've tried checking just one conformer or multiple in that tab).

Log extract:

19:18:42 GMT+0930 (AUS Central Standard Time): No Conformer assigned. Skipping Preset: D:/3D Runtimes/Content/Hair/Agent Hair G3M/Agent Hair Male.duf

19:18:42 GMT+0930 (AUS Central Standard Time): Execution Complete.

It's possible I just installed it wrong (it's in the default location for Content\Scripts\Riversoft Art\Hair Converter). I followed the steps in the manual with having just blank G9 loaded in the scene. Any help appreciated.

Edit: On a related note - I have your G8 to G9 clothing converter with a similar UI and that works as expected.

For the conformer, I would need to see the log.  Thanks.

Metadata as in Smart Content? because my Smart Content pane appears to be not working (probably because I install manually and move most things to different locations.
    I tried moving a hair duf file to it's default install location, but same result.
    I've had a thought - which DS version is this based in? I'm still running 4.20.xx as my main install - would updating to 4.22 help (or whateve the newest version is)?

I've attached the log in case it's helpful.

txt
    txt
    log.txt

Silent Winter said:

Metadata as in Smart Content? because my Smart Content pane appears to be not working (probably because I install manually and move most things to different locations.
    I tried moving a hair duf file to it's default install location, but same result.
    I've had a thought - which DS version is this based in? I'm still running 4.20.xx as my main install - would updating to 4.22 help (or whateve the newest version is)?

I've attached the log in case it's helpful.

4.20 should work.  To see what metadata the script is getting, bring up the Script IDE pane, paste the following (changing the file and path to one of your hairs, note the forward facing slashes) and execute:

var filename = 'D:/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/People/Genesis 8 Female/Hair/OOT 2021-03 Hair/2021-03 Hair Genesis 8 Female.duf';
    print(App.getAssetMgr().getTypeForContentFile(filename))

For the conformer, can you show a screenshot of the interface showing the item you are trying to execute?

Script to show metadata doesn't offer any output (or there's no metadata) - see screenshot (I tried with and without the 'Content' folder included) and the log.txt just says the script executed in 2ms as in the screenshot.

See screenshot composite for Hair converter script - I tried with all conformers ticked as well as just the short hair one.

Thanks for your patience :)

Converter Screenshots.jpg
    2222 x 1363 - 529K
    Script IDE Executed.jpg
    1508 x 659 - 128K

Silent Winter said:

Script to show metadata doesn't offer any output (or there's no metadata) - see screenshot (I tried with and without the 'Content' folder included) and the log.txt just says the script executed in 2ms as in the screenshot.

See screenshot composite for Hair converter script - I tried with all conformers ticked as well as just the short hair one.

Thanks for your patience :)

WIth that function failing (on my system it works), the script is trying to figure it out itself and defaulting to the wrong content type (the bug I mentioned before, which I have fixed but I am still working on the update)

For the conformer, for some reason when you added it, the conformer was not set.  Double click the conformer column and set the conformer.

edited February 17

RiverSoftArt said:

For the conformer, for some reason when you added it, the conformer was not set.  Double click the conformer column and set the conformer.

Short version: it's working now, thanks :)

Long version:

Tried re-adding the hair and double-clicking on the conformer column then setting the conformer (all or just one), same result on that male hair - but I did get it to work with a different hair from G3Female (Abigail Hair) (still had to set it to not check file type when adding but the conversion itself worked great).

So I tried the same with another male hair (Armani Hair) and this one worked too...so then I tried that first Agent Male hair again and this time it worked.

So "Yay" with an oddity on that one. Thanks for the help :)

And on an additional note: This works WAY better than the default auto-fit conversions. Well done on another useful product!

Post edited by Silent Winter on

Silent Winter said:

RiverSoftArt said:

Short version: it's working now, thanks :)

Long version:

Tried re-adding the hair and double-clicking on the conformer column then setting the conformer (all or just one), same result on that male hair - but I did get it to work with a different hair from G3Female (Abigail Hair) (still had to set it to not check file type when adding but the conversion itself worked great).

So I tried the same with another male hair (Armani Hair) and this one worked too...so then I tried that first Agent Male hair again and this time it worked.

So "Yay" with an oddity on that one. Thanks for the help :)

And on an additional note: This works WAY better than the default auto-fit conversions. Well done on another useful product!

I am glad you got it working.  Very annoying that we don't know why it didn't work and then worked for the Agent hair.

I am really glad you like the results.  We have spent a LONG time on redoing the conversion process.

• necroscensionnecroscension Posts: 106
    edited February 19

I'm not having any luck with this converter. I had no problem with the G8->G9 hair converters. I've tried three hairs so far: Matt hair, Agent hair, and Adam hair. The converted Matt hair loads mid face on G9, Agent hair loads at around the belly button of the figure, and Adam hair loads away from the figure at around lower leg level. In watching the converter, the hairs appear to load in the correct place when processing, but when the script switches to save the hair moves to the location where it is loading. I don't have enough time atm to give further specifics, but will try a few things when I've got more time and then post if I've got it working or supply screen shots. I'm using Daz Studio 4.22.0.15, so I should be good in that regard.

Post edited by necroscension on

necroscension said:

I'm not having any luck with this converter. I had no problem with the G8->G9 hair converters. I've tried three hairs so far: Matt hair, Agent hair, and Adam hair. The converted Matt hair loads mid face on G9, Agent hair loads at around the belly button of the figure, and Adam hair loads away from the figure at around lower leg level. In watching the converter, the hairs appear to load in the correct place when processing, but when the script switches to save the hair moves to the location where it is loading. I don't have enough time atm to give further specifics, but will try a few things when I've got more time and then post if I've got it working or supply screen shots. I'm using Daz Studio 4.22.0.15, so I should be good in that regard.

Please get back to me when you have more time.  Someone else had problems with Agent hair, so it might just be one that the converter struggles with.  I will say that Daz is slow at updating the display so what you are seeing is not necessarily what is happening.  I have had a hair look awful in the conversion because the display could not catch up to what is happening, and then look great when converted.  

We are working on an update to fix the dForce hair conversion issues.  For other hair, I would appreciate a log (and if you tried to convert it twice.  Errors can accumulate and converting twice, without deleting the data files, can cause issues).

• RiverSoftArt said:

necroscension said:

Please get back to me when you have more time.  Someone else had problems with Agent hair, so it might just be one that the converter struggles with.  I will say that Daz is slow at updating the display so what you are seeing is not necessarily what is happening.  I have had a hair look awful in the conversion because the display could not catch up to what is happening, and then look great when converted.  

We are working on an update to fix the dForce hair conversion issues.  For other hair, I would appreciate a log (and if you tried to convert it twice.  Errors can accumulate and converting twice, without deleting the data files, can cause issues).

Will do. It will be another day or two where I can devote more time. I played around with it for a little today and am noticing a possible trend. I've only converted a handful so far and having better results with short hair being changed to regular hair, but that is also producing hair that needs the conversion morph dialed in at -100% in order to fit.

I can say that Bastien and Akira hairs converted with no issue.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158
    edited February 20

necroscension said:

RiverSoftArt said:

necroscension said:

Will do. It will be another day or two where I can devote more time. I played around with it for a little today and am noticing a possible trend. I've only converted a handful so far and having better results with short hair being changed to regular hair, but that is also producing hair that needs the conversion morph dialed in at -100% in order to fit.

FYI In the converter for G8 hair to G9 hair, the Regular Hair conformer works far better than any of the others. The others cause me problems like bald spots on the top of the head. If I understand correctly, SY created some improved conformers that did not make it into the update package for that product. So I assume those will be included in the next update. We are also waiting for a fix to the problem that no dForce hair will simulate after conversion.
    RSA and SY work hard to make their products satisfy customers, so I'm looking forward to the next update. It always amazes me how RSA can keep all these product details in his head to answer forum questions. I sure do appreciate PAs who provide this level of support after the purchase. That is pretty rare around here.

Post edited by barbult on

necroscension said:

RiverSoftArt said:

necroscension said:

@Barbult is correct that the conformers are getting an update, and that could be what you are seeing

barbult said:

necroscension said:

RiverSoftArt said:

necroscension said:

FYI In the converter for G8 hair to G9 hair, the Regular Hair conformer works far better than any of the others. The others cause me problems like bald spots on the top of the head. If I understand correctly, SY created some improved conformers that did not make it into the update package for that product. So I assume those will be included in the next update. We are also waiting for a fix to the problem that no dForce hair will simulate after conversion.
    RSA and SY work hard to make their products satisfy customers, so I'm looking forward to the next update. It always amazes me how RSA can keep all these product details in his head to answer forum questions. I sure do appreciate PAs who provide this level of support after the purchase. That is pretty rare around here.

Thank you @Barbult!  I really appreciate the kind words. smiley

• RiverSoftArt said:

necroscension said:

RiverSoftArt said:

necroscension said:

@Barbult is correct that the conformers are getting an update, and that could be what you are seeing

Looks like what I've come across is discussed in the 8->9 hair converter thread already. I'll wait until the update is released then.

edited March 18

Submitted update

• Fixed bug where incorrect default content type (Follower/Wardrobe/Unknown) instead of Follower/Hair/Unknown was used for adding hair
    • Fixed bug where dForce Hair cannot sim after conversion
    • Fixed 2 major bugs in using Transfer Utility for dForce part of hair, where adding a smoothing modifier will just crash DS with lots of errors and setting “Reverse Source Shape From Target” to true for dForce part of hair breaks simulation
    • Updated Conformers
    Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158
    You are posting with your email address instead of your normal Daz user name. Is that what you intended to do?

barbult said:

You are posting with your email address instead of your normal Daz user name. Is that what you intended to do?

Good catch!  Fixed now.  Thanks.