How come I have to keep logging in every couple hours.

UVDanUVDan Posts: 112
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

How come I have to keep logging in every couple hours? I know it is a small detail, but it is aggravating.

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Log into the forums first and then you'll only have to log into the store when you need to periodically log in.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    Log into the forums first and then you'll only have to log into the store when you need to periodically log in.

I wish!!

I have to log in every time, and I only ever visit the forums. If I close the DAZ site pages, but keep my browser open, then come back to DAZ, I'm still logged in. But as soon as I close my browser, I have to log in again. I can visit Rendo 6 months later, and I'm automatically logged in without a hitch.

Yes, I've cleared my cache, blah, blah, blah.

mac

• UVDanUVDan Posts: 112
    edited December 1969

UVDan said:
    How come I have to keep logging in every couple hours? I know it is a small detail, but it is aggravating.

I have to keep logging into the forums.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

Same here Mac. UVDan I get dropped from the forms also. Some times right after entering a post.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I managed, purely by accident to get a different login screen to login to the forums, others have done it different ways as well.

In this thread, from the linked post downwards for a few posts, and on to next page, explains it a bit. I am now logged in permanently to the forums, haven't been logged out once having logged in on this screen, remembering of course that the Username in question is actually the Email address that you use to login to the store not your foum username.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/115/P840/#68621

edited December 1969

I tried that trick as well Chohole. I still get logged out if I close my browser.

edited December 1969

were you completely logged out when you tried it, from both the stroe and the forums

edited December 1969

I'm pretty sure I was, but as we know from other sources my account was messed up until today. I can try again now.

• UVDanUVDan Posts: 112
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I managed, purely by accident to get a different login screen to login to the forums, others have done it different ways as well.

In this thread, from the linked post downwards for a few posts, and on to next page, explains it a bit. I am now logged in permanently to the forums, haven't been logged out once having logged in on this screen, remembering of course that the Username in question is actually the Email address that you use to login to the store not your foum username.

Wow, that totally confused me. I might as well have eaten some psychedelic mushrooms before I read that.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Every time I click on a 'Someone has posted in the DAZ....' etc, I go straight to the post concerned, AND I am always logged in to the Forums. I have DAZ as an allowed site in IE9 for cookies, and it seems to work for the forums at least.

If I click on My Account, I have to log in again, like the old forum, but when I tell IE9 to remember the details, is does, but only for the rest of that day. If I close my browser having been logged in to the store, I am still logged in to the store on return the same day.

edited December 1969

chohole said:

OMG!!! At last someone cracked it!

I'm happy to report that after following those steps, I'm now permanantly logged in. Here's what I did.

So, basically, two tabs:
    - Open a quick-reply to any thread in the first one. It doesn’t matter if you type anything, because the content will never be submitted.
    - Tab two, just click ‘Log Out’.
    - Go back to tab one. Click ‘Submit’ on your reply.
    - Ta-da! There it is.

I followed those steps, then rebooted my pc and I'm still logged in. First time since the new site started. Yay!!

Thanks a lot!

mac
    edited December 1969

Glad I could help. I found it one way, Mick found it a much simpler way. All we need now is for DAZ 3D to work out how to get this login screen back so it associates with the forum login, instead of having to fumble around finding it. The convo I linked to has been flagged up.

edited December 1969

Heh. I'm back several hours later and still logged in. It's like.... magic!! Well.... normal for every other site, but magic for DAZ. LOL.

mac

edited August 2012

Just did all that. We shall see. Later.

EDIT: It must be something on my end. I have to login every visit.

EDIT #2: Weirdness the second time I was still logged in. It just can not make up it's mind with me.

• fonpaolofonpaolo Posts: 229
    edited August 2012

Yes, finally I've found the magic solution!
    Thanks for the tip. :-)

Post edited by fonpaolo on
  • DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

maclean said:
    I'm happy to report that after following those steps, I'm now permanantly logged in. Here's what I did.

ThinMick said:
    So, basically, two tabs:
    - Open a quick-reply to any thread in the first one. It doesn’t matter if you type anything, because the content will never be submitted.
    - Tab two, just click ‘Log Out’.
    - Go back to tab one. Click ‘Submit’ on your reply.
    - Ta-da! There it is.

I followed those steps, then rebooted my pc and I'm still logged in. First time since the new site started. Yay!!

Doesn't seem to work at all for me - the page that pops-up refuses to recognise my password (and yes, I entered it multiple times to be sure I hadn't mis-typed).

edited December 1969

You are using exactly the same login as you would when using the store login, ie email address as user name, and store password.

edited December 1969

Mine is still iffy. Works about half the time now. I think my PC is killing something some times. Not a clue what.

edited December 1969

I know you may not use FF, but in Firefox I have my prefrences set up to automatically clear my cache on closing down the PC. Once in a blue moon, if the browser crashes for some strange reson it also clears other things, like once it crashed and cleared everything, including all my cookies (grrrrrrrr, I wanted some of those cookies) and also "Active Logons" I think it was that last one that started me having the LOLI dance, so check for settings like that.

edited December 1969

Well, Now I have a idea what might be killing it. I'll need to check several things but I think my cookie's are getting eat.

edited December 1969

Ahah you have a cookie eating gremlin in there somewhere. Maybe related to Cookie monster.

edited August 2012

chohole said:
    Ahah you have a cookie eating gremlin in there somewhere. Maybe related to Cookie monster.
    Cookie Monster is a Vegan and only eats cookies for desert now. My little bugger seems to be after them whenever it can nab them. Probably my AV settings, but I thought I had it set to leave them alone.
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    You are using exactly the same login as you would when using the store login, ie email address as user name, and store password.

Yes. It works on the screen you get to via "Log In", not on the other one. This is something that's been true ever since the new store went live.

edited December 1969

Sorry, If you try any other login on the Screen you get via the method described here, you won't get to login at all. THere is only one login username and password , and it is the Email address you use to login with and that password.

edited December 1969

When I followed the steps outlined above, I got a login with my user name and password. I changed the username to my e-mail addy, and it worked. Several days later, and I'm still logged in, so it's worth persevering with because it does work.

mac

edited September 2012

chohole said:
    Sorry, If you try any other login on the Screen you get via the method described here, you won't get to login at all. THere is only one login username and password , and it is the Email address you use to login with and that password.

Yes, and that's the only login I have ever attempted to use, email+password works via the login screen, does not work via the http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/#error login screen.

Post edited by DWG on
  • adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited September 2012

choholes suggestion didn't work for me, still having to log in each time I come to the forum and each time I go to the store

Post edited by adzan on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited December 1969

adzan said:
    choholes suggestion didn't work for me, still having to log in each time I come to the forum and each time I go to the store

Doesn't work for me either - I've seen that login page many times but it will never accept my login, I just get this page:

nologin.jpg
    578 x 169 - 24K
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,811
    edited September 2012

chohole said:
    Glad I could help. I found it one way, Mick found it a much simpler way. All we need now is for DAZ 3D to work out how to get this login screen back so it associates with the forum login, instead of having to fumble around finding it. The convo I linked to has been flagged up.

Well ... it's probably worth pointing out that the particular login screen in question is NOT secure. Because it's bouncing you from a forum post, rather than the actual logon prompt, it's an http:// rather than an https:// page. (The forum itself is not secure, only the logon is.) Since the same login is used for both the forum and the store, using that screen at all may not be a great idea.

For what it's worth, on my other computer, I use Chrome rather than Opera or Firefox to access the site, and it never EVER logs me out of the forum on that workstation. The store, yes; for some reason, Chrome can and does treat the store and forum differently.

Just for the hell of it, I looked at the cookies inside the browser I use at home (Opera). As far as I can tell, the store cookie seems to be set to last about an hour (I think). Interestingly enough, there actually are separate cookies set for the forum. And they're kind of a mess. There are a few different ones, and I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at. One appears to be set to expire on Christmas Day, 2013. Another one was set to expire five minutes before I actually logged in. They're just ... odd.

Post edited by vwrangler on
    edited December 1969

It has always been the case that the forum is held on the non secure server and the store on the secure side of the site, Does rather stand to reason that is the way it would work.