Freebie Challange----December: It's Steampunk at the North Pole---Main Thread

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 2015

Steampunk X-mas party

The party is just starting.

Great image.  Wonderful you got this month's contest off to a strong early start.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    Sorry to hear about the Shingles outbreak LG.  I hope you are feeling better soon.

+1

Dana

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,950
    DollyGirl said:

I'll post it without the credits, then change it if necessary.

Just updated my original post to add 3 links that I just found.

Here is the link to the Steampunk Christmas Tree http://www.runtimedna.com/forum/showthread.php?49186-The-2009-13-Days-of-Christmas-Giveaway-Day-1

Thanks for the link, looks really great.

• CherubitCherubit Posts: 982

Hi guys! smiley I have a question... When using the HDRI, which file should I use? .png or .hdr? when I select it in environment map? frown I mean, if I select the .hdr it will come already with the picture in the background AND the lights?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

For Iray?

Yes, you use the HDR in the Environment slot...and if you have Draw Dome ON it will use it for both lighting and backdrop.

• Sky77Sky77 Posts: 820

Louie's Steampunk Xmas

Xmas at da Nort' Pole? Wadda I wanna go t' da Nort' Pole for? I'm already in da Nort'! If I goes any farther nort' I'll be in Yonkers! Besides, I gots everyt'ing I needs for a Merry Xmas right here! Seriously, tho'...I loves dis time a year. Really! Alla da lights and decorations, alla da great Xmas foods dat people are bringin' by alla da time. Hey! Let's not forget alla dat special Xmas beer dat comes out dis time a' year. But I tells you what, it gits 'spencive runnin' alla dem Xmas lights all night long. Electrical don't come cheap dese days. It don't grows on trees...not even Xmas trees! Dat's when I hits onna idea. I wuz down at da scrap yard de udda day and I sees dat somebody t'rew out a perfectly good sauna furnace and a pretty good heat exchanger, jus' layin' dere in da junk. So, I hauls it home figurin' I could uses it somehow or other. Dat's when I gits a'nudder idea. Down to da train yards dere's coal layin' 'round everywhere, just for da takin'. I hauls a bunch'a dat home and sits t' woirk convertin' alla dis junk inta sumthin' really cool. I hadda make a few modifications to da ole apartment...which didn't sits too well wit da landloard or da building super, but, eh...dey'll gits over it. Anyways, a few hours later I'd rigged up my own steam converter! An' wotts da foist t'ing I does? I hooked up da old Xmas tree and dere ya goes! Da woild's foist steam powered Xmas tree, lights an' all! So now I git's my Xmas lights on da cheap wit' a cozy li'l fireplace t' boot! Now I kin just sits back an enjoy a few of dem special, once in a year Xmas beers! An' dat's da best t'ing...I kin sits right here an' not have t' woiry 'bout no Xmas Beer Zombies comin' after my stash. I guess it's just too cold for 'em! Funny, I figured dat dey'd like da cold, seein' how dey's all rottin' away and stuff...

Nice one LG!  That's one way to keep the cut the bills during the winter!  

Sorry about the shingles thing though... ouch!  That's an awful illness to go through especially in the eye!

Hope things are getting better... these things can take a long time to go away completely!  sad

• CherubitCherubit Posts: 982
    mjc1016 said:

For Iray?

Yes, you use the HDR in the Environment slot...and if you have Draw Dome ON it will use it for both lighting and backdrop.

Thank you :) yes, for Iray!

Just a public service announcement...cheeky

Perfect for this month's contest, for those who might not have purchased this already, DAZ is offering the Riae Outfit for free:  http://www.daz3d.com/riae-outfit 

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

I got that outfit thanks Skywalker77!!!

I am now looking for the snow shader to use in the shader mixer as I can not find a good tutorial on how to make my own.

I am now looking for the snow shader to use in the shader mixer as I can not find a good tutorial on how to make my own.

Unfortunately, that is one of the ones that has disappeared with the server shuffle/forum software switches over the years. 

Here you go.  Might not be the one you are talking about, but it might help.  Snow Shader Tutorial

Dana

DanaTA said:

Here you go.  Might not be the one you are talking about, but it might help.  Snow Shader Tutorial

Dana

That's an ok one...but it doesn't actually give the network for the snow.  Tthere was, in the long, long ShaderMixer thread a series of networks and how-tos for snow, including altitude driven ones for putting snow on things.

I have downloaded videos and looked a little but was a bit busy with downloading of other freebies and some other work. But eventualy realized how yet little I know about it so I will have to go trough those tutorials again and really learn them :/ but possibilities are great.

For Riae Outfit, yeah that one is just awesome especialy that I knew someone with the same name that looked like that character that wears it :D. I am not sure if I will be using it but I might try. Probably will start soon to work on the picture as theme is for me really interesting :)

mjc1016 said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

That's an ok one...but it doesn't actually give the network for the snow.  Tthere was, in the long, long ShaderMixer thread a series of networks and how-tos for snow, including altitude driven ones for putting snow on things.

There was another one, maybe by the same person, that was about altitude shaders.

Dana

DanaTA said:
    mjc1016 said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

There was another one, maybe by the same person, that was about altitude shaders.

Dana

Yes I have watched both those vids but they have made their own shaders and with them doing that no way of knowing how to do my own shader to make snow.

DanaTA said:
    mjc1016 said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Dana

Yes I have watched both those vids but they have made their own shaders and with them doing that no way of knowing how to do my own shader to make snow.

He USED to have the networks available (I used to have them...but they are some of the things I never recovered from my defunct drives), but when I went looking for them a couple of months ago, I couldn't find them...and he doesn't give enough info in the vids to recreate them.  I do have some pics from the old forums...but they are either not big enough to be easily read/followed or since the explanations are gone, aren't really worth much. 

edited December 2015

Here is my first attempts at my Steampunk X-Mas,it is still a WIP.

I know I need Shadows and Snow to this butt I think it is comming along good.

Still have 2 more I am working on as well they will be comming soon

Start Of Steampunk Render X-Mas.png
    600 x 337 - 386K
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
    edited December 2015

Here is the snow added and the shadows but still a WIP at this point:

Steampunk Render X-Mas need pw3.png
    600 x 337 - 343K
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
  • nitehawk_ltdnitehawk_ltd Posts: 387
    edited December 2015

Second entry

Three Steampunk Witches walk into a bar.

I had an idea about 3 witches that hide their use of magic under the trappings of steam technology.

Witch on left:
    August hair - link to zip
    Kohana face #
    Summer for A3 Skin tex #
    Bm-court jacket & collar bottom of page
    Fetish set corset
    A3 cloth set, pants (click on 'Downloads', then click on 'Clothing', at bottom)
    LD stockings for A3
    Boots from Aiko Cloth Set1 (third from bottom)
    Mavka Witch hat #

Witch in middle:
    Flexy hair 14 down
    A3 Spring #
    WoolOne dress #
    MMChristmasDForA3 Boots - 4 down 3 over
    Chain belt - 12 down
    SAV hat #
    Goggles

Witch on right:
    Vianne for Aiko 3 #
    Chu-chi-Face-Style-Blue-Dolly # (see readme for instructions)
    Djinni outfit
    Prankish Gem
    PG part 2
    A3 Idol & A3 JyuneBikini
    Star hat 2nd from bottom

Man in back:
    Exp hair
    Emrys-For-Hiro #
    Still life suit #
    Suit tex #
    Coat tex #
    H-love boots #
    The fedora #

Scene:
    Steam coach
    Who street
    Snow tex #
    Wall 02 #

Poses from several sets adjusted with some dial tweaking.
    # free site registration required.

Software used:
    Paint Shop Pro 7
    Rendered in DAZ Studio 3A no postwork

x-mas-street-1.jpg
    2000 x 1455 - 2M
    Post edited by nitehawk_ltd on

All but this link check out...

Coat tex #

It's mangled...

• mjc1016 said:

Coat tex #

It's mangled...

It's fixed, checked after posting.

mjc1016 said:

Coat tex #

It's mangled...

It's fixed, checked after posting.

Then that's all of them...

The scary thought...I have most of that list! (No, it's not all installed.)

Second entry

I had an idea about 3 witches that hide their use of magic under the trappings of steam technology.

Good job!  Showdown at the Steampunk corral.

Dana

Nice job with the snow effect, Saphirewild!  Was this postworked or did you find the shader you were looking for?  laugh

edited December 2015

Second entry

... and the first one said... 

(I wish I had a good punchline to go with this)cheeky

Nice work on the outfits.  Cool western theme.  laugh

Post edited by Sky77 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Second entry

... and the first one said...  "You would've thought one of us would have seen it"

(I wish I had a good punchline to go with this)cheeky

Nice work on the outfits.  Cool western theme.  laugh

edited December 2015
    Chohole said:

... and the first one said...  "You would've thought one of us would have seen it"

LOL!  Classic!  I knew I could count on you to pick up the slack!  laugh

Post edited by Sky77 on

Nice job with the snow effect, Saphirewild!  Was this postworked or did you find the shader you were looking for?  laugh

I did postwork on this I have to adit used psp9 snow brushes

edited December 2015

Right...here's the deal.  I wanted to run a minirender contest today...but there are a ton of things going on tonight.

So...instead of it being fancy, it will be a simple 'Star Wars Snowman' contest...there will be a $5 GC (supplied by me).

The rules are simple:

There is a ton of Star Wars content out there...use some and create a winter/holiday themed render that contains at least 1 recognizable Star Wars fanart item (light sabers, etc)  AND a snowman. This was going to be a 1 hr challenge, but I don't have the time to devote to that today. 

Both the Star Wars item and the snowman must be freebies...and there must be at least 3 other free items.  The normal rules for No Count items are in effect.

The minicontest will run until 6 PM US Eastern time, tomorrow afternoon (Saturday 19th).

So...the Force may have awakened...how about some renders?

NO SPOILERS!

Post edited by mjc1016 on

Oh well I just finished my entry :) here it is... Now it is too late but I might try it tomorrow :)

Late for party

Done with Daz Studio 4.8

Items marked with an asterisk require registration.

Not Counting: Victoria 4 and Michael 4 figure

Freebies:

1.)* Riae Outfit

2.)* P3D Megan

3.)* Cassia Hair

4.) Morphing ground v.2

5.) MornedHel Ezkel M4

6.)* T2-M4

7.)* Steampunk SithTextures for T2-M4

8.) Reipus

9.) Christmas for ReipusTextures for Reipus

10.)* Reipus ReiPosedPoses for Reipus

11.)* Reipus ReiPosed 2 - On The NosePoses for Reipus

12.)* Little Mummy

13.)* WinterLand Fabrics 23 Ice and Snow Shaders

14.)* Fuzzy Wuzzy Fur Shader Daz|Studio

15.)* Chenille Shader DAZ|Studio

16.)* Pd-Daz Studio Soft Leather Shaders

17.)* Sky Backgrounds 02

18.)* Render Profiles for DAZ Studio 4.5 (Rendered on Insane)

Paid:
    Steambike Pro

Inactive Freebies: Angel of Retribution

Late for Party.jpg
    1076 x 1076 - 527K