Importing Files for Rigging: Best File Formats?

TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
edited December 2023 in New Users

Was looking for a "classic" tow truck a while ago.  Might get it but need some advice first.

My question as an amateur at rigging is what format.  Can DS4.21 import 2015 3DS Max?  I assume that's .fbx?  I think someone commented these can be hit or miss & it's better to use .obj format.  True or a matter of opinion?

Tips & Suggestions appreciated.

(Link removed by mod for offsite commercial advertising)

Edit:  references to specific non-DAZ vendor voluntarily removed to be in greater compliance with forum rules about such things

Post edited by Tynkere on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,225

3DS Max format is, if I remember correctly, .3ds. OBJ is the safest bet, but you will lose the rigging; FBX is hit-or-miss, and you might get both the geometry and the rigging, and they might even be intact, but there's no guarantee.

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

Thanks.  Looks like I'll have my choice or might be a moot point.  Product is licensed by a big corporation, so its purchase must be approved.  : 0 !

"Dear Sir.  How do you intend to use our Acme licensed product?"

"The Acme tow truck is really an ancient alien space ship that wakes up at night, tries to run over people, chases cats, and eats car batteries"  Uhm... no.

"I want to use it to render scenes featuring roadside assistance?  Towing?"  Yes, that sounds better.

---

Dear Mr Customer,

Your intended use for towing with a tow truck implies that Acme might not have made reliable vehicles.  We regret to inform you your application for licensed use has been denied.  Next time just tell us you want to use it like a posessed Plymouth from a Stephen King novel.  

---

Attempt at humor aside, written tutorials for rigging?   For example, not sure how people have one morph control steering wheel + both front tires.  

• Tynkere said:

Attempt at humor aside, written tutorials for rigging?   For example, not sure how people have one morph control steering wheel + both front tires.  

Turn both wheels and steering wheel to the desired position with the vehicle otherwise zeroed. Right-click in the Parameters pane and select edit mode, if it isn't already checked. Right-click on the rotation control for the steering wheel and select ERC Freeze. Make sure that the whel turns are the only thingss elected as subv-components in the dialogue box, deselect any interlopers, then click Acept. You steering wheel should now control the car wheels.

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

Richard Haseltine said:

Turn both wheels and steering wheel to the desired position with the vehicle otherwise zeroed. Right-click in the Parameters pane and select edit mode, if it isn't already checked. Right-click on the rotation control for the steering wheel and select ERC Freeze. Make sure that the whel turns are the only thingss elected as subv-components in the dialogue box, deselect any interlopers, then click Acept. You steering wheel should now control the car wheels.

Thanks.  Three sentences or suffer through a long video.  I like your approach better.   Practiced on some simple props before complex model.  

Don't know if you can see or not, but worked out well

Best wishes & enjoy holidays 

SS_TruckWheels.png
    1550 x 1154 - 3M
  • Glad it helped. Some people hate words and love videos, some of us go the other way.