Save "as" Questions - Geometry Editor

Hi again... smiley

So, I learned how to add a surface tab using the geometry editor, but when I try to save it as a material preset, it doesn't recall the geometry edit I made ( I added a surface tab). Do I need to save this  as a character, wearable, properties, pose or something else, in order to recall it and or apply it to my item in the future or be able to distribute it later for others to use?

Thank you! heart

Comments

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,348

Save As -> Support Asset -> Prop/Figure

While some people might recommend wearables, this doesn't create a proper library entry. As such, it will bloat save files. Create wearable presets after a proper prop/figure save by all means, but not as a way of saving something you intend on reusing.

or be able to distribute it later for others to use?

Unfortunately, this will not be possible unless you have distribution permission for the model you are modifying.

Geometry edits cannot currently be saved in a way that does not include the original mesh data, which would violate most content licences. (Morph files have to be a special format that works in a way that only works if the user already has the base asset )

• Matt_Castle said:

Geometry edits cannot currently be saved in a way that does not include the original mesh data, which would violate most content licences. (Morph files have to be a special format that works in a way that only works if the user already has the base asset )

Even if it's just a surface "hide"? Oh man! Oh well... I was going to make a freebie add-on! I can't understand why I can't just change what's called... *pouts* frown

Anyway... Thank you! At least I can save it for myself! Much appreciate the response!heart

• Saving a a new asset breaks all links to the original version, saving a Wearables preset or a Scene subset does not.

• Okay, good to know! Thank you, Richard! smiley

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,348

JasmineSkunk said:

Even if it's just a surface "hide"?

If you purely want to hide geometry, there is a way to distribute that - conditional grafts are redistributable (and also a better way of doing it in the first place, as it doesn't need an entirely separate asset to be saved).

However, most other geometry edits require including the original geometry as part of the save file, which you normally won't have permission to redistribute.

• Matt_Castle said:

JasmineSkunk said:

Even if it's just a surface "hide"?

If you purely want to hide geometry, there is a way to distribute that - conditional grafts are redistributable (and also a better way of doing it in the first place, as it doesn't need an entirely separate asset to be saved).

However, most other geometry edits require including the original geometry as part of the save file, which you normally won't have permission to redistribute.

Thanks, Matt! smiley Okay. Let's see if I can figure THAT out!  lol 

THANK YOU!heart

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,777

JasmineSkunk said:

Hi again... smiley

So, I learned how to add a surface tab using the geometry editor, but when I try to save it as a material preset, it doesn't recall the geometry edit I made ( I added a surface tab). Do I need to save this  as a character, wearable, properties, pose or something else, in order to recall it and or apply it to my item in the future or be able to distribute it later for others to use?

Thank you! heart

As for "distribute it later for others to use"... others have mentioned about "not permitted" if you work on an existing product, however, you can always distribute "the delta morph files" you've created, as well as the scene file (*.duf) to others. Well, the recipients must own the related product before using what they're given from you. laugh 

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,872
    edited December 2023

crosswind said:

JasmineSkunk said:

Hi again... smiley

Thank you! heart

As for "distribute it later for others to use"... others have mentioned about "not permitted" if you work on an existing product, however, you can always distribute "the delta morph files" you've created, as well as the scene file (*.duf) to others. Well, the recipients must own the related product before using what they're given from you. laugh 

Thanks, crosswind..smiley Someone else mentioned using conditional grafts in DS. And While I think I understand how to create them. (Not much different than creating a surface tab in the geometry edit thing) I still don't understand how I can distribute it. Does it get saved as a morph, then? Or something else? So, my question is, once I create it, how should I save it so I can share it?

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on

JasmineSkunk said:

crosswind said:

JasmineSkunk said:

Hi again... smiley

Thank you! heart

Thanks, crosswind..smiley Someone else mentioned using conditional grafts in DS. And While I think I understand how to create them. (Not much different than creating a surface tab in the geometry edit thing) I still don't understand how I can distribute it. Does it get saved as a morph, then? Or something else? So, my question is, once I create it, how should I save it so I can share it?

Let's 1st of all clarify one thing - are you working on an existing product item or creating this freebie from scratch by yourself ?

If it's the former, you could only import and create a "delta morph" on it with Morph Loader Pro (use option: Reverse Deformation + Delta Only), then save the morph assets with "your Vendor name". In this way, you can just distribute these "delta morphs" and Preset files that you saved.

If it's the latter, you just follow Mada's tutorial series: save Figure assets + Morph assets + all user-facing files + texture files etc. that you created for distribution. That'll be pretty straight-forward loh ~~ cool

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,872
    edited December 2023

Okay... 

So, I want to make a freebie supporting someone else's product. I was discussing it first, in this thread:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/663326/solved-what-s-up-with-noisy-uv-templates#latest

So, I wanted to hide a hat. But I was using the wrong UV to do it (cuz I'm kinda an airhead) Someone did help me with a proper UV map, but the map, though it did let me hide the hat with an opacity map, wouldn't let me hide the bow on top of the hat without also hiding all the other bows. So, I discovered I could hide "just" the hat bow by creating a new surface tab with the Geometry editor, but that I wouldn't be able to save it in a way that could be distributed because that also saves the geometry in the file, so...

I was told I could do it using conditional grafts, AND still be able to distribute it because it didn't need a separate asset to be saved, but I wasn't told how I could save it. Are you saying it gets saved as a morph? 

Sorry for my ignorance... I did do some morphs years ago, but I used Poser, so I have no idea how to do it in DS. I'm trying to catch up with everything all at once! LOL

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
    edited December 2023

JasmineSkunk said:

Okay... 

So, I want to make a freebie supporting someone else's product. I was discussing it first, in this thread:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/663326/solved-what-s-up-with-noisy-uv-templates#latest

So, I wanted to hide a hat. But I was using the wrong UV to do it (cuz I'm kinda an airhead) Someone did help me with a proper UV map, but the map, though it did let me hide the hat with an opacity map, wouldn't let me hide the bow on top of the hat without also hiding all the other bows. So, I discovered I could hide "just" the hat bow by creating a new surface tab with the Geometry editor, but that I wouldn't be able to save it in a way that could be distributed because that also saves the geometry in the file, so...

I was told I could do it using conditional grafts, AND still be able to distribute it because it didn't need a separate asset to be saved, but I wasn't told how I could save it. Are you saying it gets saved as a morph? 

Sorry for my ignorance... I did do some morphs years ago, but I used Poser, so I have no idea how to do it in DS. I'm trying to catch up with everything all at once! LOL

Oh, if so, it's just a task of hiding the cap (with more options by each part of hat...), if I understand correctly. You just create separate surfaces for what you wanna hide. Create conditional grafts and set them up correctly. Then save the hat as a Wearable Preset.

In this simple way, all Selection Sets, Surfaces, Conditoional Grafts are saved within this Wearable Presets. Then you share it with others who have this Zou Hair products... Done.

I roughly made it work as an example. I attached the scene file and werable preset down below. You may check them.

PS: Conditional Grafts are easy to use, however, if you don't want to make them, you may simply set Cutout Opacity of each Surface to 0, no mask is needed.  It's up to you...

SNAG-2023-12-7-0051.png
    2560 x 1400 - 1M
    SNAG-2023-12-7-0052.png
    2560 x 1400 - 1M
    duf
    duf
    Zou Cap.duf
    duf
    duf
    !Zou Cap - Werable Preset.duf
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • Thank you, crosswind!!! heartsmiley