Water droplets on any object?

Is there any available shader or product that allows you to put water droplets on any object, not just a Genesis character? Specifically, a car body? I've tried adding a geometry shell to the car and slecting the psint material, then applying a water droplet shader, but nothing happens. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275

I believe Deviney has Photoshop brushes that will do this. The brushes will work in Gimp and similar applications. Not much help if post work isn't in your wheelhouse. Good luck.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Ultrascatter

• Sven Dullah said:

Ultrascatter

Huh! So the idea there would be to find some "water droplet" object and then use Ultrascatter to scatter instances of that droplet all over the car body? Or am I missing something?

(I'm following this with interest because I've tried for years to find something that would do this, as well. No luck so far.)

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,057

Ultimate Ice for Iray has a melting ice shader which might work in some circumstances and on some objects. Here's a quick example of the shader applied to a geoshell of a mirror (didn't mess around with applying separately to the frame and to glass).

ultimateice.png
    986 x 584 - 543K
  • Ooh, and I own that, too! (Never really noticed that shader before because I, uh, use the kit only for the beverages. Heh) I'll have to give that a try.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033

Maybe using one of the items from this product might work too: https://www.daz3d.com/sy-rigged-water-iray-3-dforce

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 293
    edited December 2023

Well, obviously I am not the OP but that was a BRILLIANT suggestion, Joanna, thank you so much! I have all kinds of water and rain kits, including I think most of SickleYield's output, and none of them have solved this, but the melting ice shader does it!

Methodology:

- Load Car Admiral and its Iray surfaces

- Give the car a geoshell

- Force all the geoshell surfaces to Iray because they load with the Studio Default shader

- Apply the Melting Ice shader from Ultimate Ice

- Increase (or decrease, depending on how you see it) the Horizontal and Vertical Tiling values for the geoshell surfaces over the car body. Uh, that is, make the numbers bigger. The drops were way too big otherwise. The windshield, a smaller surface, tiled differently and was fine as is.

I probably wanted to turn off the geoshell on some of the surfaces where I didn't want droplets, but you can't see any of them in the picture.

admiral.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by columbine on
  • That's going on my wishlist. I thought I had every ice/snow shader in the store.

• paulawp (marahzen) said:

That's going on my wishlist. I thought I had every ice/snow shader in the store.

As an added bonus it has the best "bourbon on the rocks" setup of any food-n-drink kit I own :P

• sidsid Posts: 400

Booking marking this thread! That's killer joanna and columbine

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,057

Columbine, paulawp, and sid—I'm glad I could help.

Also, I completely forgot I had this set until this thread. I need to use it more often!

• PtropePtrope Posts: 679

Sold! That looks awesome! Thanks for the advice, @joanna yes

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,348

Sven Dullah said:

Ultrascatter

Certainly a viable option. When I was trying to do a version of Marilyn Monroe's Happy Birthday dress, I decided to handle the rhinestones with Ultrascatter (certainly easier than trying to rig them all manually, as I could just run UltraScatter after doing a dForce sim).

The same technique should work for water droplets too, although admittedly that many instances can bog things down a bit.

• PtropePtrope Posts: 679

I sprang for the ice shader, and it's a good start! Going to take somefine tuning, and some planning - I didn't realize you can't use the Geometry Editor on shells, and I wanted to separate top and side surfaces so the flows can be properly oriented; looks like my only choice is to edit the geometry of the model BEFORE creating the shell.

I may still try Ultrascatter, as well - tiling is pretty obvious in a long view here, though it probably woldn't be in a close-up shot.

Charger III Raw Rebuild 006.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,796

Matt_Castle said:

Sven Dullah said:

Ultrascatter

Certainly a viable option. When I was trying to do a version of Marilyn Monroe's Happy Birthday dress, I decided to handle the rhinestones with Ultrascatter (certainly easier than trying to rig them all manually, as I could just run UltraScatter after doing a dForce sim).

The same technique should work for water droplets too, although admittedly that many instances can bog things down a bit.

that looks incredible good for rhinestones! I need to try this at some point
    this thread is a gold piece