Studio 4.x 64 Bit UI speed

evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,437
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Has anyone else noticed that the UI speed for Studio 4 when running 64 bit version on Win7 64 bit is utterly tortureous?

I have looked for many culprits, even tried different mice on the outside chance it was my mouse. All to no avail.

I run Studio 4 on a Win7 machine, and a serious inferior to that box WinXP machine. I hadn't really thought about the difference until recently, but I did realize that the WinXP 32 bit seemed to have significantly less lag in the UI.

So I installed 32 bit on my main machine... and it does seem to respond infinitely better (except for render speed, which is not really a good trade off).

Is it just me, somehow?

Comments

• edited December 1969

Studio 4.0 or Studio 4.5? 4.0 was bad, 4.5 is very good.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,437
    edited August 2012

Its 4.5, and its not just the 64 bit. Its the 32 bit as well... the 32 bit is even worse now.

So no one else is having issues with this? 4.5 was the magic bullet for everyone but me?

I just tuned everything for performance in the Interface settings and its unchanged.

Bounding box works awesome. Everything else worked fluid for a few seconds after changing back from Bounding box, and now its at a crawl again.

This is crazy. I have an Nvidia GeForce DTX 550 Ti with a GB of DDR5 RAM on it. There is no reason it should be this slow.

Post edited by evilded777 on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I have pretty much the same spec's OS wise and have the same Graphix card. I'm not seeing this on my PC. DS4.5P is actually faster than DS4P was for me.

edited December 1969

Thanks for chiming in Jaderail.

Maybe it is something on my end. I just did a clean reinstall...I don't know what else it could be.

edited August 2012

When was your last update of your cards drivers? I did an update about a month and a half ago.

P.S. Never wait for the MS update thing. It's always behind the products own home site.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

I'm up to date. That was one of the first things I tried when 4 really started getting on my nerves.

This could have something to do with the amount and type of props here, but... 3 is nowhere near as sluggish with the same scene. And a scene I have worked with previously with more figures in it, now reacts very slowly with half as many figures in it.

edited December 1969

hmm... I don't recall my avatar being there before today. odd. He needs updating. Anyway.

This is not a Studio4 problem, apparently. Nor is it the particular type and amount of props.

It seems to be my machine/installation.

Both Studio 3 and Studio 4 are sluggish (though 4 is immensely worse; and I don't actually ever recall 3 being sluggish like this). Load a practically identical scene on a machine that is no where near the specs of my rendering machine, running Winxp 32... and there's not even a hitch. I can do whatever I want.

Why would my monster machine with a $500 graphics card, more cores, more ram, more EVERYTHING and a better OS, lag behind to the point where Studio becomes unusable?

I am open to ideas folks. I'd really like to solve this problem and get back to work.

Any Daz staff or developer who wants to chime in, feel free. If its happening to me, its gotta be happening to at least one other person out there.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

Antivirus software, Hard drive at the point to die, file fragmentation, some malware or other program that eat up your CPU

The Gfx card doesn't make big difference. My desktop which has an ATI Radeon X800XL 256 Mb is not slower than my workstation notebook which has a Quadro 2000m with 2 Gigs. I do see the difference but it's not that big because a lot of what slows down the interface is the calculations made on the morphs, cloth smoothing or subdivision which are all made by the CPU

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

is your system refreshing the content folders? if so turn it off.

edited December 1969

Antivirus software, Hard drive at the point to die, file fragmentation, some malware or other program that eat up your CPU

The Gfx card doesn't make big difference. My desktop which has an ATI Radeon X800XL 256 Mb is not slower than my workstation notebook which has a Quadro 2000m with 2 Gigs. I do see the difference but it's not that big because a lot of what slows down the interface is the calculations made on the morphs, cloth smoothing or subdivision which are all made by the CPU

There is nothing eating my CPU cycles. Everything else runs like a dream; Studio renders just fine. PC checks out great to diagnostics, no file fragmentation, etc.

And I would say the graphics card IS part of the issue. The problem is the UI. Particularly when I try to use a textured display mode; wireframe etc seem to work without issue -- its forcing me to constantly switch my display mode back and forth so I can either see what I am doing or actually DO something. And its the WHOLE UI that is laggy, so clicking the display mode icon to change modes (is there a shortcut key for that? duh.) takes 5-10 seconds every time I have to change it.

Thanks for chiming in though. I appreciate the assistance.

edited December 1969

is your system refreshing the content folders? if so turn it off.

Pardon? This must be some option I am unfamiliar with.

edited December 1969

You could also check what your current OpenGL version is. I'm not sure if that matters or not. It is the first thing listed in About Video Card. Mine is 4.2.0 That's in the Prefs>Interface>Current Hardware Features.

edited December 1969

Also if your system is using Virtual Ram on your HD that will make your interface a SLUG as it does reads and writes.

edited December 1969

I hope I am not cursing myself by posting too soon, but it seems that a Windows Update has resolved my issue.

How's that for a kicker, Microsoft actually fixed something.

Here's hoping that the issue does not return, and thanks to everyone who chimed in while I tried to resolve this frustrating issue!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I hope I am not cursing myself by posting too soon, but it seems that a Windows Update has resolved my issue.

How's that for a kicker, Microsoft actually fixed something.

Here's hoping that the issue does not return, and thanks to everyone who chimed in while I tried to resolve this frustrating issue!

Are you sure it wasn't just coincidence :roll: :coolsmirk: (yes I am being cynical)