Compose renders in shader builder

martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
edited August 2012 in Daz Studio Discussion

I need help with shader builder.

With two shaders (shader A and shader B) I obtain two renders which I want compose in shader builder. I want compose the renders, compose shaders is imposible because shader A destroy shader B then mix function is useless. Anyone have an idea to do it?

I do a composition with postwork, but the idea is obtain all with shaders. I add renders and postwork composition.

compose.jpg
175 x 779 - 36K
B.jpg
175 x 779 - 33K
A.jpg
175 x 779 - 21K
Post edited by [email protected] on

Comments

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited August 2012

Hi,

I recall reading a paper about npr rendering in renderman that used a tip in which you render the object scaled a bit bigger for the outline then render the object with a toon shader and combine the two. That seems to be what you're looking for. I can't remember exactely but I think it was a two pass render so you may also need to use DS scripting; Sorry I can't remember where I read it but I do recall that it also involved backface culling, so that you only render what is behind the object you want to render

An other way to do that could be to use ImageMagick to combine the two rendering

Post edited by Takeo.Kensei on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Please note that nudity is not allowed in the forums, as [er the forum TOS, Please review the TOS here, espceially the first bullet point in the gerenal code of conduct. Thanks. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6_4/

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Please note that nudity is not allowed in the forums, as [er the forum TOS, Please review the TOS here, espceially the first bullet point in the gerenal code of conduct. Thanks. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6_4/

Sorry, I quickly transform her in a decent girl.:red:

edited August 2012

Hi,

I recall reading a paper about npr rendering in renderman that used a tip in which you render the object scaled a bit bigger for the outline then render the object with a toon shader and combine the two. That seems to be what you're looking for. I can't remember exactely but I think it was a two pass render so you may also need to use DS scripting; Sorry I can't remember where I read it but I do recall that it also involved backface culling, so that you only render what is behind the object you want to render

An other way to do that could be to use ImageMagick to combine the two rendering

Thanks, Takeo.

Yes, DS Scripting is the optimal solution, but not the fast solution. I need time, time and more time to learn.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

That's a nice shader you've got there.

gilikshe said:
    I want compose the renders, compose shaders is imposible because shader A destroy shader B then mix function is useless.
    Are you sure it's impossible? I'm fairly confident you can pretty much always mix a number of shaders (e.g. pass values to temporary variables, in particular pass the value just before you add to Ci, and an "if then" here or there; although your outline shader probably doesn't have anything to add to Ci :-S ).
    edited August 2012

I think that the good way to go would be to use geometry shell rendered with backface culling inverted to get the outline and render the other shader as normal. That would be a single pass and no need to mix shader

Post edited by Takeo.Kensei on
    edited December 1969

ReDave said:
    That's a nice shader you've got there.
    gilikshe said:
    I want compose the renders, compose shaders is imposible because shader A destroy shader B then mix function is useless.
    Are you sure it's impossible? I'm fairly confident you can pretty much always mix a number of shaders (e.g. pass values to temporary variables, in particular pass the value just before you add to Ci, and an "if then" here or there; although your outline shader probably doesn't have anything to add to Ci :-S ).

Thanks, ReDave,

Black Silhoute is a displacement shader, toon filled is a surface shader. When I try to use a version of the brick from the displacement network in the surface network:

1.- It doesn't produce any transform, or
    2.- If I add displacement brick output, it produce a white colored and broken silhoutte

For this reason I was thinking about mix renders, no bricks mix in one shader.
    All toon filled shader is a mix of outline shader, plain color shader, and shadow control shaders (no included in the images), but I fail trying to integrate displacements in the mix.

edited December 1969

I think that the good way to go would be to use geometry shell rendered with backface culling inverted to get the outline and render the other shader as normal. That would be a single pass and no need to mix shader

I supose it is different to trying to use displacements, but even use information fron normal vector. I will think in this, thanks.

edited December 1969

First experiment with geometry shell and outline in shader builder. No enough good with transparency, It needs more work.

DS4.5 Pro crash, and re-crash when I touch much the geometry shell.

shell2.png
    777 x 834 - 168K
    shell.png
    777 x 834 - 224K
    edited December 1969

Experiment # 2: transparent front is "some" better.

rendered.png
    698 x 834 - 125K
    unrendered.jpg
    631 x 733 - 44K
    edited August 2012

Experiment # 3:

Normal negatives visible, transformed normal from "world space" to "camera space". I was thinking this was better, but... what happen?

exp3.3_.png
    253 x 834 - 55K
    exp3.2_.png
    253 x 834 - 83K
    exp3.1_.png
    253 x 834 - 104K
    edited December 1969

Experiment # 4: Non optimal results, but it now works.
    I change transfomations and sign of normal.

Thanks guys for the ideas.

PD: Thanks Takeo for your Gooch shader, too

exp4.4_.png
    253 x 834 - 115K
    exp4.3_.png
    253 x 834 - 119K
    exp4.2_.png
    253 x 834 - 102K
    exp4.1_.png
    253 x 834 - 127K
    edited December 1969

gilikshe said:
    Experiment # 4: Non optimal results, but it now works.
    I change transfomations and sign of normal.

Thanks guys for the ideas.

Congrats for succeeding in creating the shader. Looks good to me. I know there are other tech to get the outlines better and If I find them again I'll tell you so that you can optimize your shader

PD: Thanks Takeo for your Gooch shader, too

No problem you're welcome. I should update it because I changed some little things that give more control