Daz Studio 4.22[.0.x] Pro, General Release!

Daz SoftwareDaz Software Posts: 35
edited February 28 in Daz Studio Discussion

Daz 3D is pleased to announce Daz Studio 4.22 Pro General Release!

• Version: 4.22.0.16
  • Date: February 27, 2024

Highlights:

Known Issues:

• Windows
    • Windows < 10 (e.g., 8.1., 8, 7, etc)
      • Drivers required for the version of the NVIDIA Iray render engine included in this version of the application may not be available
  • macOS
    • Sonoma (14)
      • Reports of occasional crashes when navigating sub-menus
    • Big Sur (11), Montery (12), Ventura (13), Sonoma (14)
      • Styling issues on (horizontal) tabbars, (horizontal) tabs, buttons, frames
      • Interactive Lessons draw opaque over the UI, obstructing view of the UI
      • Color selection uses Qt (4) standard color picker - not the macOS native color picker
    • Installation via Install Manager is recommended
      • Installation via standalone application/plugin installers may require an addition to Gatekeeper's exceptions and approved application launch list (via the Command Line)

Frequently Asked Questions:

Public Beta Threads:

• 4.22.0.16 (February 27, 2024)
    • 4.22.0.15 (December 18, 2023)
    • 4.22.0.14 (December 16, 2023)
    • 4.22.0.12 (December 13, 2023)
    • 4.22.0.10 (December 11, 2023)
    • 4.22.0.9 (December 6, 2023)
    • 4.22.0.7 (December 1, 2023)
    • 4.22.0.1 (October 31, 2023)
    • 4.21.1.108 (October 25, 2023)
    • 4.21.1.104 (October 20, 2023)
    • 4.21.1.80 (August 11, 2023)
    • 4.21.1.48 (April 24, 2023)
    • 4.21.1.45 (March 27, 2023)
    • 4.21.1.41 (February 17, 2023)
    • 4.21.1.29 (January 20, 2023)
    • 4.21.1.26 (December 22, 2022)
    • 4.21.1.13 (November 4, 2022)

Previous General Releases:

• 4.21.0.5 (October 12, 2022)
  • 4.20.0.17 (April 29, 2022)
    • 4.20.0.2 (February 18, 2022)
  • 4.16.0.3 (November 22, 2021)
    • 4.15.0.30 (September 2, 2021)
    • 4.15.0.2 (January 7, 2021)
  • 4.14.0.10 (December 2, 2020)
    • 4.14.0.8 (November 10, 2020)
  • 4.12.1.118 (June 29, 2020)
    • 4.12.0.86 (September 24, 2019)
  • 4.11.0.383 (June 12, 2019)
  • 4.10.0.123 (December 8, 2017)
Post edited by rbtwhiz on

Comments

• edited November 2023

Having the bug where some OOT hairs are refusing to render.

Latest NVIDIA Studio drivers: 546.01

Only Camilla hair loaded in the scene,nothing else.

2023-11-01 12:32:30.116 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Device statistics:
    2023-11-01 12:32:30.116 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti): 0 iterations, 1.321s init, 0.220s render
    2023-11-01 12:32:30.116 [WARNING] :: D:\DAZDevel\Hudson\HUDSON_HOME\jobs\NB_Studio_Trunk\workspace\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(376): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti): an illegal memory access was encountered (while de-allocating memory)
    2023-11-01 12:32:30.117 [WARNING] :: D:\DAZDevel\Hudson\HUDSON_HOME\jobs\NB_Studio_Trunk\workspace\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(376): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti): an illegal memory access was encountered (while de-allocating memory)
    2023-11-01 12:32:30.117 [WARNING] :: D:\DAZDevel\Hudson\HUDSON_HOME\jobs\NB_Studio_Trunk\workspace\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(376): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti): an illegal memory access was encountered (while de-allocating memory)
    2023-11-01 12:32:30.118 [WARNING] :: D:\DAZDevel\Hudson\HUDSON_HOME\jobs\NB_Studio_Trunk\workspace\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(376): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti): an illegal memory access was encountered (while de-allocating memory)
    2023-11-01 12:32:30.118 [WARNING] :: D:\DAZDevel\Hudson\HUDSON_HOME\jobs\NB_Studio_Trunk\workspace\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(376): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti): an illegal memory access was encountered (while de-allocating memory)

Post edited by Hotaru0124_071fd6e4c1 on
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,918
    edited November 2023

Hotaru0124_071fd6e4c1 said:

Having the bug where some OOT hairs are refusing to render.

Only Camilla hair loaded in the scene,nothing else.

Load the hair, select it and look for the Transmitted Color channel on the Surfaces pane. If there is a map in that channel, remove it and report it. The hair will need updating (OOT has updated a number of the hair models, maybe this one fell between the cracks)

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
  • edited November 2023

Maybe, I'm bad about not updating products. I did just try to remove the maps manually, save the scene and reload the program with the same result.

EDIT: I'm dumb. I thought you meant Translucency. Will get them updated asap.

Post edited by Hotaru0124_071fd6e4c1 on
  • Crash! (Repeatedly!)

1st attempt after update/upgrade... crash, tried again, crash!

I know, let's update nvidia drivers, just in case - done and reboot, crash!

There's a theme going on here, more crashes than on the highway!

Now I hope to revert back to 6.21, at least that seemed to (mostly) work!

• MouserMouser Posts: 675

Installed v4.22 using DazCentral.

Open v4.22 all panes are blank?

Check drivers, they are up to date.

Closes DazCentral and open DIM, sure enough DazCentral downloaded but lied as it did not install.

Install with DIM.

It works;)

!3th floor, so far so good!

• MaverickMaverick Posts: 44
    edited November 2023

What do you all think of that New scane when you click new.

I think it just gets the way, yet there seems no way to stop it.

It also seems render slower

The Ghost thing has an issue when the ghost light is a plan you get a shadw that seems to be coming form the edge of the plan.

Post edited by Maverick on
  • Ck377Ck377 Posts: 17

How's the rendering speed? Has anyone tested the rendering speed increase?

• Maverick said:

The Ghost thing has an issue when the ghost light is a plan you get a shadw that seems to be coming form the edge of the plan.

In what circumstances? I am not seeing this. Try setting the emissive plane's Refraction Index to 1 (should be the default) and Refraction Strength to 1, which is effectively making it like air.

• Does anyone have an Idea how this is working on Mac M2's?  I have a Mac M2 Ultra and I'm hesitant to upgrade until I know how it is on this OS.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,311

Does anyone know what the minimum NVIDIA GPU driver version is for this?  I''m currently running 536.23.

Cheers,

Alex.

• alexhcowley said:

Does anyone know what the minimum NVIDIA GPU driver version is for this?  I''m currently running 536.23.

Cheers,

Alex.

That is fine, I've been using 533.99

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,514

BlackTalonArts said:

Does anyone have an Idea how this is working on Mac M2's?  I have a Mac M2 Ultra and I'm hesitant to upgrade until I know how it is on this OS.

Which macOS version are you running?

There are bugs with DS in macOS 14, but they were the same for DS 4.21.0.5 so nothing changed there. I run this version on 12.7 and 13.7 M1pro and x86 (I do have macOS 14 on my M2 Air 

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,311

DoctorJellybean said:

alexhcowley said:

Cheers,

Alex.

That is fine, I've been using 533.99

Good news!  Many thanks.

Alex. 

• Totte said:

BlackTalonArts said:

Does anyone have an Idea how this is working on Mac M2's?  I have a Mac M2 Ultra and I'm hesitant to upgrade until I know how it is on this OS.

Which macOS version are you running?

There are bugs with DS in macOS 14, but they were the same for DS 4.21.0.5 so nothing changed there. I run this version on 12.7 and 13.7 M1pro and x86 (I do have macOS 14 on my M2 Air 

I'm running Mac OS Ventura 13.5.2  I've done a little bit of work on the previous DS version and everything seemed to be fair but I definitely don't want to go from fair to bad. I haven't updated to Sonoma yet as I want software programs to catch any issues and patch it before i take the plunge. I'm also wondering if the team is working on those MacOS bugs as well.  I spend a crap ton of money here and if there isn't going to be regular support for MacOS then I don't see the need to continue purchasing.  I know it's all about Nvidia for folks but I'm quite thrilled with my mac and no plans on going back to Windows Systems.    Thanks for the input Totte

• Seems to work with OOT hair, didn't do any tuning. Both the Iray Viewport and the normal rendering seem to be working.

• RenatoDiasRenatoDias Posts: 31
    edited November 2023

It's not working at all. Buggy as [all get out]. Please allow us to revert to 4.21.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • BlackTalonArts said:

I'm running a M2 Mac Studio. TBH, 4.22 feels *slightly less* stable than 4.21. Not entirely unexpected for a brand new release, but frustrating.

The one notable bug I've seen so far is that ground fog doesn't render the same as the previous version. Effectively uselesss, as it seems to obscure the whole image.

edited November 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

Maverick said:

In what circumstances? I am not seeing this. Try setting the emissive plane's Refraction Index to 1 (should be the default) and Refraction Strength to 1, which is effectively making it like air.

It only happens when the plan is vertical I've attached a scene it contains  2 plans one called floor and Ghost Light also this scane the Ghost light has reflection . And yes the refaction stength is 1 and the refaction index is 1 and primery rays off

Ghost Light.tip.png
    256 x 256 - 2K
    duf
    duf
    Ghost Light.duf
    Ghost Light.tip.png
    256 x 256 - 2K
  • kingdomhearts20075_f2810ff477 said:

It's not working at all. Buggy as [all get out]. Please allow us to revert to 4.21.

What bugs are you encountering?

• Maverick said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Maverick said:

It only happens when the plan is vertical I've attached a scene it contains  2 plans one called floor and Ghost Light also this scane the Ghost light has reflection . And yes the refaction stength is 1 and the refaction index is 1 and primery rays off

That look right to me - you have light coming from both sides of a zero-thickness object, so the area very close to the line of intersection between the floor and an expanded light plane will be illuminated only by light rays emitted almost parallel to the plane. If you turn off Two Sided Light in the Surfaces you will see one bright area, fading to dark as the rays become nearly vertical - rotate that plane about it's horizontal axis and you will get the same bright area fading sharply at the near edge. With Two Sided Light  on you get those areas back to back, with a dark area down the join.

• Richard Haseltine said:

kingdomhearts20075_f2810ff477 said:

Some hairs are crashing Daz when using the auxiliary viewport and when rendering. Also the fact that performance is worse and rendering time doubled compared to 4.21. I've submitted a ticket related to this bug.

edited November 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

Maverick said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Maverick said:

That look right to me - you have light coming from both sides of a zero-thickness object, so the area very close to the line of intersection between the floor and an expanded light plane will be illuminated only by light rays emitted almost parallel to the plane. If you turn off Two Sided Light in the Surfaces you will see one bright area, fading to dark as the rays become nearly vertical - rotate that plane about it's horizontal axis and you will get the same bright area fading sharply at the near edge. With Two Sided Light  on you get those areas back to back, with a dark area down the join.

Zero-thickness object ?

Here's a screenshot.

Screenshot.JPG
    2548 x 1438 - 288K
  • Maverick said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Maverick said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Maverick said:

Zero-thickness object ?

Here's a screenshot.

Here's another better View

Screenshot 2.JPG
    2559 x 1433 - 237K
  • Maverick said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Maverick said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Maverick said:

Zero-thickness object ?

Here's a screenshot.

You still ave a rfelction, because you haven't turned up the Iray Ghost Light Factor, but yes the dark stripe is what I would expect from the geoemtry of the scene - there is no light coming sideways from the plane. Turn Visible to primary rays back on (un-ghjost it) and the light will rmain the same.

• RenatoDias said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Some hairs are crashing Daz when using the auxiliary viewport and when rendering. Also the fact that performance is worse and rendering time doubled compared to 4.21. I've submitted a ticket related to this bug.

Out of Touch hairs? There was an issue with a mis-applied map affecting those, many were updated but depending ion installation order (or, with Connect, on which version is found first) the older version of the shared file may get loaded.

Maverick said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Maverick said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Maverick said:

Zero-thickness object ?

Here's a screenshot.

You still ave a rfelction, because you haven't turned up the Iray Ghost Light Factor, but yes the dark stripe is what I would expect from the geoemtry of the scene - there is no light coming sideways from the plane. Turn Visible to primary rays back on (un-ghjost it) and the light will rmain the same.

Yeah, Okay Ghost light factor was at one I've changed to 2 no reflection. 

Thanks

RenatoDias said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Out of Touch hairs? There was an issue with a mis-applied map affecting those, many were updated but depending ion installation order (or, with Connect, on which version is found first) the older version of the shared file may get loaded.

For OOT hairs causing crashes, remove the map in the Transmitted Color channel if it exists.

• DoctorJellybean said:

Richard Haseltine said:

RenatoDias said:

Richard Haseltine said:

For OOT hairs causing crashes, remove the map in the Transmitted Color channel if it exists.

If there is no map, just click the arrow and select None. Do that before applying the MAT colors, and it seems to stabilize. Use the Aux Viewport set to Iray mode to see. If Aux Viewport renders normally, the full render will work. But, to be sure, please save your project before opening the Aux Viewport.

• Crashing when i try to render OOT hair. All i need is 4.21 back!

• RenatoDiasRenatoDias Posts: 31
    edited November 2023

vamptheme756 said:

Crashing when i try to render OOT hair. All i need is 4.21 back!

That would be my wish too. Unfortunately, Daz doesn't offer old versions.

About that, how do we ask for old versions here?

Post edited by RenatoDias on