Lock Up's

Been using Hex for years.
Occassionally I get a lockup where Hex will not allow me to manipulate teh figure beyond zooming responding to any other manipulation with a frustrating "windows Failure Bell".

examp:

Figure "a" = 2163 surfaces
Figure "b" = 23844 surfaces
(Note: These capacities are not hard pressed. They vary substantially widely between different models)

When I have fig "a" open and "import" fig "b" I get fig "c" imediately as a result.
When I press the button, I get 1 or 2 more manipulations and Hex freezes up with no error messages that I can see ( fig "d").

Tus far (after years of this crap), the only option I have to continue on is to

1) "force close" Hex,
2) reopen it again,
3) load one of the two figures in,
4) break it into two or more new figures and save seperately then
5) export those pieces as multiple obj's to be reassembled in Daz.

Anybody been through this and found a solution?

Duel Processors
Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 v3 @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 v3 @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 79.9 GB
Total Physical Memory 79.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 67.2 GB
Total Virtual Memory 91.4 GB
Available Virtual Memory 76.9 GB
Page File Space 11.5 GB
3TB Ext SATA (storage)
2TB HDD (working drive) optimized monthly w/60% avail space)
Adapter Type Quadro K2000, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter RAM (2,147,483,648) bytes

Fig a.png
1000 x 563 - 248K
Fig b.png
1000 x 563 - 272K
Fig c.png
1000 x 563 - 221K
Fig d.png
1000 x 563 - 376K

Comments

• Um, possibly ;-) I think you have too many groups. If more than one group is selected, you cannot work on that mesh. If they have to be separate by the end of the project, select all the groups and give them a Shading Domain. Then select all the groups again and weld them together. Now they can be worked on without freezing the system [providing there is still enough memory left for Hexagon to work with - this is an old 32 bit program, can do lots of things but at its pace].

For large projects what can help is to group together those groups that one is not working on, freeze and then hide them. No idea why that works but it does. The caution for that though is to unhide everything, then save the project files. I was working merrily away at something one day, had hidden mesh, kept doing all those incre saves etc., and somewhere along the line Hexagon decided to delete the hidden mesh.

Now for those specific "Hexagon error" messages, yes I do get those now and then, there is absolutely nothing we are doing that triggers {not that I've noticed}. Sometimes yes, one has to force closed Hexagon, as a very last resort do a computer cold crash BUT I have found a little work-a-round that usually gets Hexagon back on track. {if it can't make the manipulator warnings come on, it's not fixable}.

Ok that 'error message' to get rid of it; then do something not even has to be project related. Like maybe make a sphere. Then do a "Save As" and give it a different name. If that works, great, close Hexagon normally. Open Hexagon and reload the project.

n.b. the error messages are not consistent - possibly depends upon why they are popping up - so work-a-rounds may work one time and not another.