If I don't use smart content, do I care about my content database?

The title of this thread pretty much sums it up.  Do I care about the content database if I don't use smart content?  I'd like to download the 4.9 beta, but the enormous, red "!! IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU BACKUP YOUR CONTENT DATABASE IN DAZ STUDIO 4.8 BEFORE LAUNCHING DAZ STUDIO 4.9 !!" made me pause.  I never use or pay attention to smart content.  What else does the database do?

Comments

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    edited October 2015

If you are like me and you never used the smart content tab/modified the database, there is no problem. The warning is there so that those who have customized their data base and categorized things to their preferences (that's what the database allows you to do) are not getting everything messed up ( it is a beta after all). I have been palying with 4.9 for the past couple of days and quite like it. Iray has definiutely improved and I actually like the connect feature, I might use it for new content after it is out of beta (my old stuff will rewmain the way it is).

Ciao

TD

Post edited by thd777 on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

If you make your own Categories or Tags you'll want to Export User Data to back it up.

• KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325

Lol, I can honestly say I don't know what a category or a tag is, in reference to DS.  However, I'll back up just to be safe!

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    Karibou said:

Lol, I can honestly say I don't know what a category or a tag is, in reference to DS.  However, I'll back up just to be safe!

The items circled in red are categories.  Well, they are all categories... but the circled ones are a few of the many I manually created that aren't there by default.

screenshot, categories.png
    1005 x 526 - 47K