Why leading !!! on product icon name?

barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I've noticed that some products have one or more leading exclamation marks on their icon name. Does anyone know what the significance of those is? For example, Aiko 3 is "!Aiko 3". The new Riley for Stephanie 5 is "!!!Riley".

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Normally vendors will do things like taht so their product shows up first in any alphabetical list.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Normally vendors will do things like taht so their product shows up first in any alphabetical list.

Thanks for the explanation.

Hmmm...that seems kind of rude. Why does their product deserve prominence? It just makes it harder for us to find things, because they aren't in alphabetical order. I expected to find Riley right before Stephanie, but she wasn't there. I had to look around and there she was, before !Aiko.

Does that mean we can rename things to put them back where they belong in normal alphabetical order, or does that mess up Smart Content or something else?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2012

Not certain in DS, I certainly do it in Poser, because it does really annoy me as well. I have dedicated runtimes, and I do like to find my content in a logical order, which to me is alphabetical. I only rename the character, pose and prop folders though, leave textures and geometry alone, so as not to muck up the file paths.

Mind you I could be wrong when it come to this particular character, because there was an older character called RIley (for V4 I think), so it may have been done to avoid confusion.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,850
    edited December 1969

Usually DAZ removes any leading ! or other special characters in folder names, in file names they may be allowed if they are being used to order the files (to make sure a base setting is first in the folder, with options later, as may well be the case with Riley if it's the file and not the folder that has the !s).

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited December 1969

Usually DAZ removes any leading ! or other special characters in folder names, in file names they may be allowed if they are being used to order the files (to make sure a base setting is first in the folder, with options later, as may well be the case with Riley if it's the file and not the folder that has the !s).

That makes sense, especially for people who use the Content Library to search for their files. I understand now. It doesn't seem so rude anymore :). As a user of Smart Content, I don't even see the folder name or the order of the files in the folder. I only see the !!Riley pop to the beginning of my list of "people". I guess even with Smart Content, if I went to the Products view instead of Files view, having it at the top would be useful. Isn't it amazing how a little education from those in the know can change your whole perspective on things. Thanks, Richard. And you are correct, the ! is not on the folder name.
    Smart_Content.JPG
    419 x 897 - 78K
    Riley_files.JPG
    390 x 319 - 36K
  • Art_JunkieArt_Junkie Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

barbult said:

That makes sense, especially for people who use the Content Library to search for their files. I understand now. It doesn't seem so rude anymore :). As a user of Smart Content, I don't even see the folder name or the order of the files in the folder. I only see the !!Riley pop to the beginning of my list of "people". I guess even with Smart Content, if I went to the Products view instead of Files view, having it at the top would be useful. Isn't it amazing how a little education from those in the know can change your whole perspective on things. Thanks, Richard. And you are correct, the ! is not on the folder name.
    Like Richard said, In this case I thank it is to order the items in that single window so that the ones that should be used 1st show up at the head of the list. An alternative which is the way I do it is to put numbers such as 01, 02, etc at the beginning of the file name. Again just for a single set of files not for directories. as that practice used by some creators in the Poser runtime structure really annoys me.