How to install DS 4.0 and 4.5 in the same PC

jordi3djordi3d Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi,

I'm a content developer and would like to know how to install DS 4.0 and 4.5 in the same PC, so I can still use 4.0 for making compatible content and have 4.5 to test it for those who have it.

I want to have different folders for the libraries of 4.0 and 4.5, don't want to mix them.

In my PC I have DS3 and DS4.0 already, and several Poser versions.

Please tell me what steps should I follow in the install process.

Thank you.

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

jordi3d said:
    Hi,

I'm a content developer and would like to know how to install DS 4.0 and 4.5 in the same PC, so I can still use 4.0 for making compatible content and have 4.5 to test it for those who have it.

I want to have different folders for the libraries of 4.0 and 4.5, don't want to mix them.

In my PC I have DS3 and DS4.0 already, and several Poser versions.

Please tell me what steps should I follow in the install process.

Thank you.

the only way I know of is make new user - I would not do it myself

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,110
    edited December 1969

Even dual usrs are said not to work, though they should remove some of the conflicts. Ass far as I know dual boot is the only safe option, which obviosuly requires a second OS (for a while you could try using the Win8 RP, but that will expire soon).

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Even dual usrs are said not to work, though they should remove some of the conflicts. Ass far as I know dual boot is the only safe option, which obviosuly requires a second OS (for a while you could try using the Win8 RP, but that will expire soon).

does every thing work using Win8 ?

• jordi3djordi3d Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks. Then I think I won't install 4.5 because then I may be unable to make compatible content.

edited December 1969

bigh said:

does every thing work using Win8 ?

I haven't tried myself, but I believe so.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

jordi3d said:
    Thanks. Then I think I won't install 4.5 because then I may be unable to make compatible content.

This is my concern as well.

Currently I've got 4 on my main machine and 4.5 on my laptop, but it's going to be a pain transferring and resaving if that's the only way to do it.

My DS4 install is on a secondary hard drive. What if one were to unplug that secondary hard drive, plug in a tertiary one, and install 4.5 on the new one? When the first drive was plugged back in, what would happen?

edited August 2012

Some items are saved in the AppData folder, which will usually be on the boot drive. Even if it could be moved, you'd then be removing settings used by all your other applications when you switched HDs. There's also the CMS version to consider.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

What's the CMS version?

edited December 1969

The Content Management System.

edited December 1969

The Content Management System.

Thank you very much for your helpful information.

What does the CMS actually do? Is it related to the metadata?

edited December 1969

Yes, it provides Metadata/Smart Content and the Category system.