Is this hair really supossed to look like this?

I made a help center report on this hair because the skull cap is showing on top. (June 22, Request #438849 no reply)

Today I see the same hair being used in a promo shot with skull cap showing, so is this the intended look?

It has been more than 30 days now so probably can't get refund if this is how it should look. Not that big of a deal because it was part of bundle that was 5.99 on that day so I don't know how that's even handled, I like the rest of the bundle and I really like the look of the hair but think it is pretty much unusable with the skull cap always visable if top of the head is in view.

If I remember corectly you can also see the skull cap from the side on some of the hair colors.

Hair: dForce Emberlynn Hair for Genesis 9 | Daz 3D

Todays promo shot with the hair used: https://gcdn.daz3d.com/p/90981/i/dforcedcbohominiforgenesis9and8female00maindaz3d.jpg

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,652

I don't believe the hair intentionally has a bald-spot there - that is likely a small mistake in the promo image. I do have this hair and didn't notice it on a test image in preview mode - I was going to make something to post but Daz crashed when I tried to run a dforce simulation so I have to start again as I forgot to save it.

• stelaristelari Posts: 76

Realized I have this hair but hadn't used it yet. Testing it gave the same results with the cap poking through (with or without running simulation), but turning off visibility on the scalp makes it look acceptable - at first glance at least. Would upload a comparison, but attachments are broken.

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,652

Redid the test and in the actual iray render the scalp was noticable this time. However, I think this might be something that depends on the model. In the one I used I could just hide the scalp and the hair looked fine without it (IMHO) - see below two renders with the scalp hidden.

It might be that the scalp needs to be there for models with differently-shaped head. So having it there means you have the option of using it or not depending on the circumstances.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,257

just hide the haircap...

• chevybabe25chevybabe25 Posts: 1,202

I am almost 100 percent sure that the cap should be hidden by default.

• svagsiggesvagsigge Posts: 36
    edited July 2023

Thanks for comments, I don't have that many G9 models (no Daz original like Victoria 9) and the bald spot is visable to me on those that I have but I'll will try hiding the cap.

A quick test with Ariana that came in the bundle and the top bald spot is gone but on the side of the head you still see the skull if you look closely. Mostly visable with Blonde light hair colors.

Maybe I'm too picky I don't know.

Post edited by svagsigge on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,543

Are there adjustment morphs to lift the hair above the head?

• svagsiggesvagsigge Posts: 36

FirstBastion said:

Are there adjustment morphs to lift the hair above the head?

None that I can find, but I'm rather new to Daz.

If there is any such morphs I can't find them. There are the usual movment, longer, messy etc. morphs on the hair part but the cap only have "body_bs_ExpandAll"

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,103

As chevybabe said, the haircap should be off by default.

I don't know if it's something new with G9 hair or with dforce hair. I just noticed it recently working with Feisty Bun hair–haircap visibility was off and hair rendered nice that way. When I accidentally turned it on, it didn't look good.

edited July 2023

Yeah, on the newer strand hair,  the cap is there just to hold everything together. It doesnt need to be visible. The cap not being textured is a good giveaway :)

Post edited by chevybabe25 on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,347

No, turning off the hair cap visibility makes it look worse. Then the characters head skin shows in the places where the hair scalp showed before. Try it on plain gray G9 Dev model, and you'll see how bad it is. The hair's "Top" surface appears to be the problem section. It appears like the "Top" hairs penetrate inside the character's skull on the side, instead of staying on the outside, where they belong. It just looks like a product error to me.

The attached files are rendered on a morphed character. The scalp fits the character's head just fine (second image). The hair does not fit. First image is with the scalp hidden. The third image is with the scalp visible. Neither is close to acceptable.

Emberlynn Brown Light Invisible Scalp.jpg
    710 x 826 - 124K
    Emberlynn Scalp Only.jpg
    556 x 697 - 35K
    Emberlynn Brown Light With Scalp.jpg
    853 x 852 - 126K

Yikes.  From the other renders, it looked untextured to me. Clearly thats not the case.  Obviously, I'd file a ticket on that one.

• jd641jd641 Posts: 435

I've noticed the same problem with this hair. I keep meaning to file a ticket to support or just return it but every time I go for it my damn ADD kicks in and I do something else...

There are some morphs in the hair object, which is parented to the scalp. The morphs can help cover the bald spots somewhat, depending on the character morph you are using. There is still something inherently wrong with this hair product, though. I am going to submit a help request.

chevybabe25, when do we get another hair from you, like the lovely Feisty Bun?

edited August 2023

jd641 said:

I've noticed the same problem with this hair. I keep meaning to file a ticket to support or just return it but every time I go for it my damn ADD kicks in and I do something else...

Ha ha, I had the same experience earlier today. I hate that big drop down menu banner so much, I just said the heck with it, they probably wouldn't fix it anyway, and aborted my attempt to contact Customer Service. However, now that I have been off of the Daz website for a few hours, I have the energy to try submitting a help request again.

Done - I submitted

Request #441158

Emberlynn Hair has bald spots and thin spots

I included the attached images:
    1) G9B Platinum Blonde - no character morphs
    2) G9B Mermaid - no character morphs
    3) G9B Platinum Blonde - Proportion Head Size 100% morph applied to G9B

Emberlynn Hair Platinum Blonde Bald on Top Thin on Sides.jpg
    740 x 985 - 129K
    Emberlynn Hair Mermaid Bald on Top Thin on Sides.jpg
    756 x 950 - 118K
    Emberlynn Hair Platinum Blonde Proportion Head Size 100.jpg
    740 x 824 - 107K
    Post edited by barbult on

If you are not working with a highly morphed character, hiding the scalp might help. At least it helped with basic G9. Hiding the scalp made the bald spots worse on my morphed character, though.

"chevybabe25, when do we get another hair from you, like the lovely Feisty Bun?"

Hopefully soon :)  I am waiting on some really cool things right now!!! 

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,257

if it's a dforce SBH, can you animate to the morph over timeline?  Perhaps could work until fixed?

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,368

Can you expand all? I get good results to as little as 1% and a tessellation of 10.

edited August 2023

AgitatedRiot said:

Can you expand all? I get good results to as little as 1% and a tessellation of 10.

Is that 10 a typo? Line Tessellation of 10 makes 21 million polygons on the hair object and another 6 million on the hair thin object. I'm sticking with the Line Tessellation of 0 to use the much less demanding Iray curves. The expand all applies to the cap and I still see the cap showing through the hair with expand all. Are you hiding the cap?

Edit: Well, in spite of what I said, I tried Line Tessellation 10 with 1% scalp expansion and the animated timeline suggestion, and I still get the scalp showing through on the sides and top of the head in my morphed character. It I hide the cap, the top of the head looks OK, but the sides still have bare spots.

Post edited by barbult on

lilweep said:

if it's a dforce SBH, can you animate to the morph over timeline?  Perhaps could work until fixed?

That is an excellent idea. I am going to try that and see what happens.

I did get a reply to my help request already! They have reproduced the problem and submitted the request to the bug tracker. Now we have to wait and see if the bug gets fixed.

barbult said:

AgitatedRiot said:

Is that 10 a typo? Line Tessellation of 10 makes 21 million polygons on the hair object and another 6 million on the hair thin object. I'm sticking with the Line Tessellation of 0 to use the much less demanding Iray curves. The expand all applies to the cap and I still see the cap showing through the hair with expand all. Are you hiding the cap?

Edit: Well, in spite of what I said, I tried Line Tessellation 10 with 1% scalp expansion and the animated timeline suggestion, and I still get the scalp showing through on the sides and top of the head in my morphed character. It I hide the cap, the top of the head looks OK, but the sides still have bare spots.

I don't remember. Doc has me on all kinds of drugs; I know it is not the same Actor you used. I tried it on several other actors, resized the cap, and hid it. I am also dyslexic, so I might have gotten the numbers transversed. 

edited August 2023

Ok, I ran thru it again.

Settings 1% expand all, tessellation 10, cap visible On CB Arceli HD for Genesis 9

Log File log.txt

If you can not see these images, let me know.

Cap hidden

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on

Thanks to the suggestions in this forum, I've decided that the best way for me to use this hair (pending a real fix) is:

1. Hide the scalp
    2. Use animated simulation of the hair and hair thin
    3. Use the expand all on the scalp to increase the scalp 200% at the beginning of the animation and set a keyframe to 0% at frame 15
    4. Start the animation with G9 default head shape on frame 0 and set keyframes with my character head morphs on frame 15
    5. Modify the hair "Top" surface PS and PR settings to generate more hairs at larger distribution radius.

All these things together. and none of them alone, covered the head of my character. I am using the low weight line tessellation of 0. I also MUCH prefer chevybabe25's hair shader settings to those of this product.

I missed a step or two in my explanation; as I said, Doc has me drugged out. I did get it to work. I don't remember all the steps.

AgitatedRiot said:

I missed a step or two in my explanation; as I said, Doc has me drugged out. I did get it to work. I don't remember all the steps.

That's OK. Rest up. I'm "going my own way". laugh

Did they fix this yet?

No
  • Hi there all, this is my hair. An update is in progress. Recently I switched to a new monitor and didnt realize just how many details I have been missing in the hair creation process. I couldn't even see this when creating the hair and on the new monitor, well look at that! I will be spending a good chunk of the next week patching this up and giving it the facelift it deserves. Sorry all that encountered this issue as I had no idea, but moving forward I stand by my hairs and will absolutely do what I can to make it much better. Be patient as there are a lot of colors to sift through and redo! Thanks for the feedback!