Tutorials - 29 Dec - Let's Make Clothing 3 pt2

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited March 2016

link retired - very basic introduction. One can make new shading domains using a program like Hexagon to make textures for the original model. n.b. where shading domains meet there may be some overlap so still the finishing skills are in making good use of your image editor ;-)

link retired - [Following along with Kattey's instructions for the clone; reversing things a mite for the morphs]

Making a Clone promo.png
    773 x 1000 - 364K
    promo.png
    1000 x 1293 - 272K
    Post edited by patience55 on
  • Sky77Sky77 Posts: 820

Ok total noob question:  how does the the G3 clone for G2 work and what can I do with it?

Ok total noob question:  how does the the G3 clone for G2 work and what can I do with it?

Well, I think I have to dig through some files and see how it was it was done, but I know I can auto-fit G3 clothing over to G2 because I made one. It also provides the G3 shape over to G2 which may or not be desired by some. Comes in handy too for making some shape/morph transfers between the 2 figures.

I have been making some images to show how to adjust the rigging for extreme morphs [however created], and making/adding in some icons, putting the morphs over to the shaping tab and stuff like that ... hopefully this will work itself into another tutorial for those interested.

Well, I think I have to dig through some files and see how it was it was done, but I know I can auto-fit G3 clothing over to G2 because I made one. It also provides the G3 shape over to G2 which may or not be desired by some. Comes in handy too for making some shape/morph transfers between the 2 figures.

I have been making some images to show how to adjust the rigging for extreme morphs [however created], and making/adding in some icons, putting the morphs over to the shaping tab and stuff like that ... hopefully this will work itself into another tutorial for those interested.

That makes sense.  I assume the tutorial would also work with other figures as well like G3 to Genesis (1), etc?  

That would be awesome to be able to add something like this to the shaping tab.  I look forward to your future tutorials as well!  

Thanks!!laugh

That makes sense.  I assume the tutorial would also work with other figures as well like G3 to Genesis (1), etc?  

That would be awesome to be able to add something like this to the shaping tab.  I look forward to your future tutorials as well!  

Thanks!!laugh

Well, sort of - maybe - also depends upon which products one has or does not have to work with. The thing with making a clone is that it has to be 'the same mesh' as whichever figure is to receive the clone.

Because G3 comes with a [hidden] clone for G2 we can use that to make G3 have G2's shape. Then using G2's mesh make "clothing" for G3, shape it to G3, then export it out. Then import it back to morph G2. Pics are in the tutorial with the vitals for settings. So if one has enough other morphs for each figure; such that one can jump from figure to figure, i.e. G1 to G2 to G3; then yes it can be worked backwards too. I do however highly recommend purchasing some of those nice professionally made morph shapes for figures. We cannot morph HD for example.

As far as I can tell looking through my data files; it is the one file for the G3 clone for G2 that does indeed enable the auto-fit to work. Auto-fitted a dress from G3 to G2 well enough.

And yes! Figured out the missing bit of info for getting our "little morphs" onto the shaping tab without saving a kazillion shape morphs and/or character presets. It does involve moving them out from under "Morphs" to be somewhere under "Actor". Tutorial images are made and the glue is drying ;-) Tutorial covers the moving, making an icon, adjusting the rigging, save zee morph BEFORE saving zee character presets, and a render of the aforementioned G2 wearing G3's dress. Intentions are to upload that tomorrow.

Thanks for the info!  And thanks for those very detailed tutorials... I can definitely use all the help!  laugh

edited March 2016

You're quite welcome. :-)

Here's the next one: link retired [and info for re-positioning the morphs in D/S]

The zip folder includes the template.

Adjusting Rigging for Morphs promo.png
    773 x 1000 - 258K
    145 x 187.png
    147 x 185 - 3K

Awesome!  I definitely need this one!

Today's upload is not a tutorial ... I did some work for updating the PowerPose templates for Genesis 3. The major thread is in the Commons.

PowerPose for Genesis 3

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,952

Thank You for the tutorial :) will have to check it.

You're welcome.

The next tutorial IF it ever gets finished is about making one's own Power Pose templates. Now this works in 4.6 and as far as I know should work in 4.8 but I can't test it obviously on the same computer. And now 4.9 beta is out so 4.9 is on the way and I absolutely am not going cloud so ... hopefully all the information in the tutorials is not entirely out-dated too soon.

I have posted some nice full moon with blue halos, blue and red halos, over in my DA Gallery ... people may use those as they please be it as brushes, backgrounds, layers, paint tubes, whatever. We got that haze effect because of the amount of dust and smog or something in the air. Makes sharp focus rather hard but hay ... make lemonade ;-)

Only the tail and rest of the tutorial left to do ;-)

power pose for H2 wip.png
    1868 x 963 - 383K
    edited October 2015

Here are the PowerPose templates for DAZ Horse 2 ... tutorial is still WIP.

DA Link

PowerPose DAZ Horse 2.png
    927 x 959 - 417K
  • Sweet!  Thank you!

edited March 2016

Most welcome :-) 

And now, the tutorial for those who might be interested in making some for their figures too. Technically any figure [i.e. has bones] could have a template.

DA does not accept zips inside zips so this one is hosted at Dropbox until its time is up. One does NOT need to sign up. link retired for comments/favoring/etc.

Making PowerPose Templates promo.png
    773 x 1000 - 221K
    edited March 2016

Using those Face Bones of Genesis 3?  Yes there is a way ... short tutorial to illustrate.

link retired

Using the Face Pose Bones promo.png
    773 x 1000 - 214K
    edited November 2015

Hopefully in time to ship out with my next lot of skin colours, I have started a tutorial for making skin textures. Not a thorough walk-through; more of a collection of ideas with some methods and tips.

btw - if one hopes to "paint" textures on the G3 family one needs to have at least one of the 4.8 or 4.9 betas installed UNLESS they are very good are physically re-arranging uvmaps in Hexagon. The point being that the uvmaps have to be "collapsed". There are newer/advanced programs which can handle the type of uvmaps that are on these characters, but Hexagon and the ol' 3D paint program are not them ;-)

And I highly recommend the newly available plugin for selecting colours in D/S http://www.daz3d.com/color-picker-for-daz-studio if you're on Windows.

edited November 2015

Thank You. I have downloaded them and hoping to learn from them. Now I will try downloading those Skin tones too, they look awesome. Thanks for that too :D

Post edited by MilosGulan on

You're quite welcome.

I have some batches of "RST" to upload when I upload the introductory tutorial which is drafted atm. Decided to introduce the new colour picker, LIE and Stitch Witch into the basket of tools. LIE comes with D/S, Stitch Witch is an older program that many people have as it goes on sale every now and then and of course the new colour picker is a 'must have' treasure IMHO. While it is not a complete project walk through, it does offer some ideas and show some of the basic "how to", made a pair of "gloves" skin clothing while writing the tutorial. The other "must have" treasure(s) to help with such items would be the "No Suit" item(s) by Rawart which can make the hands look more like gloves, the feet like socks.

http://www.daz3d.com/no-suit-morphs-for-genesis-3-female-s

http://www.daz3d.com/no-suit-for-genesis-2-female-s

edited March 2016

Hopefully worth the wait ;-)

An introductory of sorts to link retired introduction to some of the available plugins [Shader Mixer, DS Color Picker] and tools useful for such projects. While keeping the absolute beginner in mind, there may be an idea or two for the experienced texture maker too.

I have also released several batches of "Real Skin Tones" - painted squares - my folder at DA.

My tutorials are created as I actually work through the projects so hopefully no major steps are missed AND any problems encountered along the way are mentioned too as the beginner is also likely to.

Was using D/S4.6 and beta 4.8 [option] ... work flow should be about the same in the more recent releases although the interface may be a tad different.

Making Skin Textures for 3D Models promo.png
    773 x 1000 - 166K
    edited March 2016

Decided to post this in here ... I made a light that one can use an image on to provide some "solid" colour to - to balance down the wash out effect of some lights. It also provides another way to quickly make a set colour change - a little trick I learned watchig ST shows ;-)

The tutorial shows one how one can "add" that light to an existing light set. [because in loading one light, the others go "poof"]

link retired

New Light promo.png
    773 x 1000 - 522K
    promos.png
    1802 x 822 - 607K
    edited March 2016

Covering a lot of ground, hopefully making sense ... here is the next tutorial for making things with/for the Genesis 3 figures in Daz Studio; concerning Shader Baker, Garibaldi hair plugin ... also would help for some of the other utitilities and/or programs that do not "read" the new uvmaps. It is easy to make a new uvset IF one has Hexagon and hopefully at least one of the beta 4.8 or 4.9. I have 4.8 ... because it will automatically collapse the uvmaps on bridging the item over to Hexagon.

link retired

promo.png
    773 x 1000 - 247K
    table of contents.png
    773 x 1000 - 383K
    Using Shader Baker.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 90K
    edited December 2015

There is this lovely Crew Cut by Prae which does come with "fits for" a variety of figure however I wanted a hair to "fit to" Genesis so it will reshape with the figure. So I converted it to do that. It is not hard if one has the V4 shapes for Genesis. If time permits will get that done up for a brief tutorial. The mermaid morph has an expression dialed in, nothing wrong with it - it was on sale and I nabbed it :-)

Fitting Hair 2.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 920K
    edited March 2016

link retired

1. This is not about making fits for all the characters in the world.

2. This is about taking a prop hair, be it one you made yourself or acquired, and turning it into a figure file to "fit to" Genesis.

3. Bonus: covers making morphs to deal with "elf-ear syndrome".

promo.png
    773 x 1000 - 179K

Thank You!

You're welcome, enjoy :-)

edited December 2015

Came across this nifty tutorial for Making High Heel Shoes for G3 - and by somebody who really knows how :-)

Click picture to see show.

• Thank you (and Kattey, Sickle, etc.) for all the experimentation and research that's gone into these.  There's a great deal of info and cross-references out there now on these subjects, so hopefully you can give me (and others who weren't following along as all of this developed) a bit of guidance on where to start.

I'm wondering – since for the most part I've bypassed using Genesis 2 – is G2 necessary as a go-between for using Genesis 1 morphs on Genesis 3?  I'm aware that there are more intense methods via modeling programs and I may get to that at some point, but I'm referring only to the semi-automated methods you've covered.  If I can avoid needing to do the whole process twice, it would be preferable.

Hm...I've found the G2F clone in Genesis, but she looks to have some rather scary (small, but still scary) defects, along with a polygon count difference.  Maybe skipping a generation is not a good idea.  o.o;

VoltisArt said:

Thank you (and Kattey, Sickle, etc.) for all the experimentation and research that's gone into these.  There's a great deal of info and cross-references out there now on these subjects, so hopefully you can give me (and others who weren't following along as all of this developed) a bit of guidance on where to start.

I'm wondering – since for the most part I've bypassed using Genesis 2 – is G2 necessary as a go-between for using Genesis 1 morphs on Genesis 3?  I'm aware that there are more intense methods via modeling programs and I may get to that at some point, but I'm referring only to the semi-automated methods you've covered.  If I can avoid needing to do the whole process twice, it would be preferable.

Hm...I've found the G2F clone in Genesis, but she looks to have some rather scary (small, but still scary) defects, along with a polygon count difference.  Maybe skipping a generation is not a good idea.  o.o;

You want to move some morphs from Genesis 1 straight over to 3?

Actually I have a few face morphs that I'd like to do that with too so I plan to look into the matter in the new year.

The major drawback with moving morphs to G3 are all those delightful bones in the face.

edited March 2016

Next up, link retired

Part One just covers a few basics about the programs. We make "Clothing Dummies".