Using Eyes In Carrara, buying "Eyes" that require pro?

revenger681revenger681 Posts: 156
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I've found a discrepancy between two products, one notes "requires Carrara 8 Pro" seen Here, the other is a bundled package that also includes the same eyes for poser and DS Here. They are the "bright eyes" series, They look pretty good to me! But I'm curious do these eyes require 8 Pro, and will not work with C8 Standard? I would be curious as to why they would not work with the standard edition.

I am having tons of problems getting my eyes of any character to work in Carrara. They always turn out dark almost invisible eye sockets. Is there a way to cure this effect when double clicking on the eyes from the pose menu under Content>my content>>pose?

Here are how most of my eyes always come in. on C8. Sometimes they work, other times they stop working for whatever reason then will no longer render correctly.

eyes.JPG
294 x 225 - 18K

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,794
    edited December 1969

do you have light through transparency and transparency checked in your render settings?

• revenger681revenger681 Posts: 156
    edited December 1969

do you have light through transparency and transparency checked in your render settings?

Hm. Wendy to the rescue again! lol, I can't believe it was as simple as that little checkbox. Thanks! I feel stupid when it's something so easy, like my other Terrain thread that I got so much help from.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,794
    edited December 1969

been there, done that! :red:

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

It's an easy one to overlook.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,497
    edited December 1969

I'm getting that even with but transparency and light through transparency on. hmm...

what.jpg
    275 x 217 - 21K
  • stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

If you are using global illumination,there is yet another light thru transprency checkbox amongst the GI settings.

edited December 1969

If you are using global illumination,there is yet another light thru transprency checkbox amongst the GI settings.

They are all checked, all three, still stumped ;-)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,198
    edited May 2014

Totte said:

They are all checked, all three, still stumped ;-)Nope... your issues are the shaders themselves. Select "Actor" and go to the Texture room. Scroll through the list of domains and have a good look at all of the shaders for eyes. The behavior you're seeing is what often happens when you use a DS materials file on your character in Carrara. In Carrara, it's actually a lot better to have a good shader setup and apply that. Then go in and replace the actual texture maps for the product you want to use.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited May 2014

Totte said:

They are all checked, all three, still stumped ;-)

Nope... your issues are the shaders themselves. Select "Actor" and go to the Texture room. Scroll through the list of domains and have a good look at all of the shaders for eyes. The behavior you're seeing is what often happens when you use a DS materials file on your character in Carrara. In Carrara, it's actually a lot better to have a good shader setup and apply that. Then go in and replace the actual texture maps for the product you want to use.

Hmm, OK, I was hoping it had loaded the Carrara M6 MATs but you might be right, trying to load them, crossing fingers, and thanks for all replies. Carrara is still somewhat of a mystery still but I like what I get from it. If it just could behave a little better I would embrace it but the thorns still tend to poke holes in my skin when I come to close.

Edit: spelled like a drunken cat...

Post edited by Totte on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Hi Totte,
    I believe that it's the introduction of Genesis which creates mysteries, before that, there were gaps but not mysteries…

edited December 1969

Hi Totte,
    I believe that it's the introduction of Genesis which creates mysteries, before that, there were gaps but not mysteries…

Can be, but I figured out the eye stuff (thanks Dart!!).
    But I think there are too many bugs still left in the OS X version, need to start to write bugreports, just need find where to begin.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,198
    edited December 1969

In switching to Carrara, I realized that my first mission was going to be to learn to check, and optimize shaders right from the start.
    The sooner shaders become an easy situation, the smoother and faster you become at using Carrara - and then it becomes truly amazing... at least to me ;)