Is it possible to render whole terrain or part of it with visible wireframe ?

Is it possible to render whole terrain or part of it with visible wireframe ? Thinking along the lines of the attached pics.

13th floor movie poster.jpg
640 x 333 - 76K
prometheus-199.png
1920 x 800 - 2M

Comments

• NGartplayNGartplay Posts: 2,828

I would use Paint Shop Pro/Photoshop to create that effect.

You could also render your image then toggle to the shaded wireframe view and do a screen capture.  You would still need photo finishing software to open that.

Will be interesting to hear if there is a way to do this in Bryce.

• ApocApoc Posts: 407

No direct way that I know off. But here is my best alternative guess,

1.)  first make a texure file in the form of a grid.

Spacey-Grid

2.)  Go to the material lab of the terrain, and click on the first bubble rightside of the transparency row. Then make sure you select "image texture" 

Helper-Kelpter

3.) Inside the image texture "texture source editor" button located on the top left (of the top right box) (The red button)

Load in your grid texture, and makre sure to copy and paste it to the middle box as well.  Remember black is transparent. 

Helper-Kelpter2

4.) Once your done, set the material to blend transparency, and you should now have a bootleg wireframe you can edit as you please.

Helper-Kelpter3 

I dont recommend using the grid I provide, but hopefully the proof of concept helps you or anyone else that needs it. 

Bootleg-Wires

Excellent Apoc

• huberthubert Posts: 410
    edited June 2023

Hi,

there exists a way to render a scene as wireframe (via "single image animation"). -- I remembered an old tutorial from Bryce4/5 and just tried it in Bryce7 with a simple scene. It still works in Bryce7!

HowTo:

1) First create your scene/objects, set your desired document-size, adjust the wireframe-resolutions, consider family colors for the objects, adjust the "Display" Background paper color. -- Consider to work in "Solo Mode" in the Bryce Editor, if you want to render only the selected object.

2) Now press the Shift+Ctrl+Alt keys and click the big Render-Button. -- The animation dialog will be displayed. -- Therein, chose BMP-sequence and chose your destination file-location. -- IMPORTANT:  Exit/Confirm that dialog with Shift+Ctrl+Alt keys pressed! --  Confirm the "replace" request if displayed. Done! :)

PS: No need to set up an animation or any keyframes for this.

Here is my resulting sample image (with "Display" Background Paper "white").

sample result

Oops! Seems as I forgot to disable the Ground Shadows in the Editor. ;)

Have fun.
    Hubert

Post edited by hubert on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,997

Interesting concept, thanks for sharing Hubert 

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,119

hubert - I am a total animation noob. Very interesting idea. I think you have to render the scene after the wireframe image is saved. Then the two pictures can be added together in a graphic application to get the final result.

edited June 2023

Mermaid:
    Am always glad to share such interesting stuff. :)

Horo:
    Your suggestion for the final composition sounds good. With the lean and monochrome background, it should be easy to set transparency for the wireframe image.
    Luckily, I had saved those workflow steps to my notes. All corresponding Links and Forum Posts (from 2005 to 2012) aren't online any more.

PS:
    I too am not much into animations. In all those years of brycing, I made only very few and never liked the due excessive render times.

Here are three quite old examples (animated GIFs, file sizes are 30kB to 2.2MB). -- I suggest to open these links via context menu in a new Browser tab. The DAZ Forum navigation seems quirky with such links.

http://hubert-schaefer.com/hubert/bryce4/eggs_in_flight_anim_(1999).gif
    http://hubert-schaefer.com/hubert/bryce4/awa2001_sample2_light_anim_(2001).gif
    http://hubert-schaefer.com/hubert/bryce4/Disk_FatLine_Ph_0-to-250__test_animation__Animated-GIF_(2012).gif

It's not much... but was far too much for my "render patience". ;)

Hubert

Post edited by hubert on

hubert - three cool old videos: the eggs, the Woodie and the pattern - which took perhaps almost an eternity to render.

Horo: You bet! -- And the rendering of that third movie hasn't finished yet on my old PC. Imagine 12 years of continuous rendering and there are still 3 frames left to do! To render this animated texture as a wireframe might have been much faster... but the result definitely less pretty. ;)

Three superb animations, Hubert. I love animations and tried a few with Oroboros's help, setting it up was always a challenge, but help was a click away.

hubert, now we know who is the animation master around here.  Well done...er, um, I mean easy over eggs.  Great job.

Mermaid:
    > (quote) "setting it up was always a challenge"
    Not only to set them up, but also their endless render times! -- Not to forget seeing an noticeable flaw, but only in the finished animation. Been there several times, but not for too long. I gave up doing animations quite soon. Since then, I am a convinced SFP (single frame person) Brycer.

PS, I don't want to brag here: When I rendered those animations then, I got promoted to "Customer of the Month"!!  .... from our local power station. Am still paying for that excessive high electricity bill! ;)

NGartplay:
    I a "Master of Animation"?? Did Woody blackmail you to write this? ;)
    Besides, I don't consider said animation as "eggs'cellent". -- But great fun.... always expect the unexpected from me.

cgeorgiadis:
    Please keep us updated about your progress and the result.

Hubert smiling at the electricity bill. For me animations are fun and frustrating at the same time; I haven't done one in years. My best one; IMHO, with the help from Oroboros. unfortunately it takes a while to see the action. laugh

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/504192120757390254/

mermaid - some cool animations. I also tried it decades ago with Bryce 5 at the time but with horrible results.

Thanks Horo

Mermaid: A cool and joyful animation. Nicely done. :)

Thanks Hubert

That's adorable mermaid!

Thanks NGartplay