Contest ~~~ Because I Said So! (October 2015)

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,858
    Sasje said:

Fixedlaugh

This is just fun to do, hopeful there will be more people to join in smiley

The Mine Cart Race has great poses! Love the dog peering over, checking on his people (and thinking "Let's do this again, eh?")  I noticed you used a nice technique- having someone with their back to the camera. Makes it very realistic.

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,641
    Sasje said:

Fixedlaugh

This is just fun to do, hopeful there will be more people to join in smiley

LOL, Sasje, this is a perfect contest for you since you like to render kids (large and small)! I love your first two! laugh

You folks are really rocking it! That hug with the dragon is so sweet, and the horror movie is exactly what I would look like if I dared to go see one! 

Lyam- hope she gets a good swing with the Stop Sign!  Everyone can relate to the sometimes clueless behavior of other people- nice work, particularly the overall combination of elements in the scene.

Ivy, love that the setting does the talking. The fog and the glowing kettle are eerie. (Wonder who is in there?) 

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,184

I think there is something themaically "brilliant"  with using a "STOP"  sign. 

Definitely! 

The great renders keep on coming! I'm really getting some chuckles from these. From the witch's residence (yeah, sign me up on Halloween...)  and the new entries for the "You want me to do WHAT?" (so glad folks are tackling that one too) I love the sleeping bear and power lines. I think I'd rather tackle the bear than the power lines, due to a fear of heights!  

I've been setting up the voting page so when the contest ends we'll be ready to go immediately. That's not anytime soon though- lots of time to get more renders submitted. Thanks for participating and hope you all are having fun too!

FYI, I set up the voting a bit differently than a few of the other contests I've seen, I paid a subscription so I could really customize what we're doing. Want to keep everyone in the loop. smiley  We're getting good participation and yes, it's favorable to do another one for November. So here's the setup- 

I am allowing contestants to vote for ONE of their renders (and all of you should, and I would assume first place!) but only one- that way, everyone gets equal footing. I will be manually checking that.  If perchance a contestant messes up and votes for more than one of theirs (it could happen by accident) I will eliminate your second one and move any other votes up into that place. (aka, if you voted for TWO of your renders by mistake (aka 1st and 2nd places)  your 2nd place vote would be removed, and the third place moved into that slot. The fourth place would move up into third.) 

Also- the voting is setup so voters have to vote for 4 places, in other words, people can't vote for only their render. There are 3 prizes, but that 4th vote will help with any close results. 

I have the results weighted as follows: 1st place 5 pts, 2nd place 3 points, 3rd place 2 points, and 4th place 1 point. I felt first place should have more than one point difference from second place. Now here's the question: long before we get to the voting, I am going to let the contestants provide input. Do you think the first place votes should be double that of the second place votes?  (1st place 6 points, 2nd place 3 points) or leave it at 5 points? You can PM me or post your thoughts here.  

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,804

5 points for first seems fine to me, gives a benefit for a first place vote without overdoing it

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Regular Official contests use a 4,3,2 point system, with 1 point for HMs.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147

we did voting  5-3-1 - hm - came after some times there was more then one

and we never let people vote for their own .

also you had to vote to win .

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,086
    edited October 2015

Duh-leeted!

Post edited by 3WC on

I'm really liking the dialogue that goes with the renders too- you're really getting the humor into it. The Wizard's Apprentice with the squeek and responsive "um.." speaks volumes- very clever! And let's hear it for the animals in Half-Off Sale (I don't even want to KNOW what else is in that second box...) and the painted tortoise is priceless! (Looks like fun, actually...) 

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    edited October 2015

Hi!

I'm new to this area of the forum as I haven't really considered my renders qualified to be called art, but here I am now and this contest seemed to be too much fun to resist. I hope my entry post in the entry thread meets all requirements.

I have a question about my entry. The scene is inspired by "Sid Meier's Civilization V", a game I've spent too much time playing over the last couple of years (over a couple thousand hours according to Steam) and I've many times thought just that phrase :"You seriously think it is a good idea?" when in the later stages of the game having my high tech units being attacked by basic barbarians.

Is that background info I should include in the entry post, or is it ok to just bring it up here?

Oh, and another question. Is it ok to put the image up in my gallery where it's easier to provide proper links to all items used? Or are these images ment to be only for the forum?

Post edited by isidorn on

No, once posted here you may certainly post the images elsewhere. I only ask they be posted here first so they are "new." You should share your creativity! You do need to post links to the products in the entry thread for it to qualify. The 10 lines in the entry thread isn't for background information per se, (aka, how you came up with the render) it's for dialogue or the story that will make the statements make sense. (Like a conversation)  Happy to have your participation and I looked at your entry and you did it right. Very nice, too!

• Awesome!  I was wondering the same thing.  Great minds and all.. Be afraid.. be very very afraid muhahah :)

Awesome!  I was wondering the same thing.  Great minds and all.. Be afraid.. be very very afraid muhahah :)

Afraid is good!  (Be sure and note when the contest ends though! Only a few days left.) 

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    Novica said:

No, once posted here you may certainly post the images elsewhere. I only ask they be posted here first so they are "new." You should share your creativity! You do need to post links to the products in the entry thread for it to qualify. The 10 lines in the entry thread isn't for background information per se, (aka, how you came up with the render) it's for dialogue or the story that will make the statements make sense. (Like a conversation)  Happy to have your participation and I looked at your entry and you did it right. Very nice, too!

Thanks! I have a couple more in mind too, but even with all the stuff I've bought during the PA sale and the ongoing PC+ sale I realized there's some things I'm missing to make those. Already looking forward to next month's competition instead.

Heads up folks, we're ONE DAY AWAY from the first contest ending- tomorrow night at midnight, Daz time. (They're in Utah, so that's Mountain Time. That site will let you know what time it is.  (I'm Florida, and on Central time, so I know they are an hour behind me. It's 5:30pm here and they are 4:30pm)  

The renders have been AWESOME!

Also, heads up- put on your thinking caps and have some fun- when you vote, you get the opportunity (optional) to suggest a statement for the next contest. Yes, I'm definitely running this again for November!  Don't put your statements on this thread, WAIT and do it when you vote please. I'm having fun, I hope everyone participating and viewing the renders are too!

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,804

I learned something new today. When you said "I'm Florida, and on Central time" I think - WHAT? Florida is Eastern time zone. But sure enough, it stretches into the Central zone. I just always think of Florida as being south and east of where I'm at (SW Ohio), not south and west too.

And, I'm having fun with your contest!

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,441

I'm laaate to the party, but I try to get something in!

RGcincy said:

I learned something new today. When you said "I'm Florida, and on Central time" I think - WHAT? Florida is Eastern time zone. But sure enough, it stretches into the Central zone. I just always think of Florida as being south and east of where I'm at (SW Ohio), not south and west too.

And, I'm having fun with your contest!

Well, I'm in Pensacola, so in the far West- the time changes over around Tallahassee as folks head east. I have a sister over on the east coast and I always have to remember she is an hour ahead of me. I don't know why we switch times now, I think that happens October 31st where we "fall back." 

I have really gotten some chuckles with the renders. And want to thank Totte, who generously has been answering my questions behind the scenes on setting up the voting. Thank you Totte, and hope you get an entry in, yours are always fun!  Going on 11pm here (10pm Daz time) so you folks have two more hours.

edited October 2015

The voting is open. The link is acting funky so I'm posting it in straight form.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/saidsoOCT

I have provided a link in the voting form for you to see the renders, you can pop back and forth to view the art. I have also put a text box for you to suggest statements for the November contest, so have some fun!  

You can only vote once, and contestants may NOT vote for themselves. First place is 5 points, second place is 3 points, third place is 2 points, and fourth (to determine ties) is 1 point. If there is a numerical tie, I will look at the number of placed votes (if you got 5 first places and the other person only got 4, you would win the first place and the other person would slide into second place.) You are required to select 1st-3rd places, with the 4th choice being optional. (But I would appreciate it if you would select a fourth one, it will help with tiebreakers.) 

Please encourage everyone to vote, help spread the word. VOTING ENDS NEXT SATURDAY, OCTOBER 31st, at midnight Daz time. (the time change won't affect it, as that doesn't kick in here in the United States until 2am.)  That is 6 days.

I am already setting up the next contest for November with some of the statements I have, and there may be a few more added, depending on your input from the suggestion textbox from the voting. 

Good luck everyone!

Cathie

Post edited by Novica on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited October 2015

Well, I didn't make it in time to enter as I just finished two renders for this month's newbie contest, but I have been keeping watch.  I love the renders that were entered this month and it is going to be tough voting.  Everyone did a great job with the renders and the theme interpretations.  Some actually had me laughing out loud!!!  Off to vote.  I can't wait to see what happens next month.

Edit: @Totte  I liked the render even if it didn't make the deadline.  laugh  And my vote is in. @Novica I liked that you put a place to suggest a theme for next month.  Great idea.

Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,124
    edited October 2015

HA HA I had to go back and look at all of them over and over they were all so good. before i could make a vote..lol

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited October 2015

You people are deliciously funny too. The suggestions are a riot.  Here's a few of them and I'll keep them on hand for future use. (I reworded a few but kept your idea)  BTW, I will only consider ideas from people who are taking the time to vote. I think that's fair.  For those of you who voted, if you think of other ideas, you can PM me or post them here in the thread. 

Don't look now...

Behind you!

Um...bad hair day?

Ok, don't believe me.

But it was such a great deal...   (I will use this in December if we have good participation in November. It goes along with the holidays.) 

Well,  they always do it in the movies...

That's not what I thought you meant when you said...

Wonder what's in there?

Um...I knew that.

In November my statements are going with an "ask" themes.  And since it's Thanksgiving month in the U.S., there's a related statement for that too. I will wait a day or two for more input from the voting, then pick one or two statements and add those too. But if you want to get started, here's the first three for November:

"I'm not even going to ask."

"It's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask permission." 

"You don't have to thank me." 

Have fun- Because I said so!    wink

Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2015

And a few more:

What would I be today if only...

It's always Drama, Drama, Drama with you!

Slime or Goo?    

That puts the "Ew!" in Goo!

Post edited by Novica on
  • LyamLyam Posts: 137

OK, I voted even though couldn't vote for myself angry Arrrrgh! Though it wasn't hard since there were so many good renders to choose from. cheeky  Thank you Novica, this contest was fun.   

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,086

The voting was actually very easy, like the way you had the page set up.  Thanks!

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835

voted smiley