Best computer for Daz Studio

Hello everybody, I am a traditional painter and a total newbie when it comes to the 3d world but I believe it is important for painters to use programs such as Daz Studio. My question is, which desktop computer would you suggest me to buy for Daz? Do you suggest me to invest in RAM, CPU or GPU more? Thanks!

Comments

• ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 748

I think one of the most important details to keep in mind here is your graphics card. If you have an NVidia video card you can also use the so called Iray render engine and that can make a huge difference with your renders.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,835

The best computer for DAZ Studio is the best Computer.
    Go as big as you can get for your money. 
    Most important:
    No Mac
    NVIDIA GPU
    with
    Lot's of VRAM (Minimum RTX 3060 12GB VRAM)

DS will work below that configuration, but with less fun though.

• 3WC said:
    Thanks for linking these other discussions, they're really helpful. I have an old laptop with a 1gb ATI Radeon graphic card, not useful for Iray. I tried exporting to Blender without success (messed up poses), this is why I've decided to purchase a new desktop computer. My budget is about 2k EUR/ 2200 USD
  • The best computer for DAZ Studio is the best Computer.
    Go as big as you can get for your money. 
    Most important:
    No Mac
    NVIDIA GPU
    with
    Lot's of VRAM (Minimum RTX 3060 12GB VRAM)

DS will work below that configuration, but with less fun though.

Simple and straight to the point, thanks for the advise!
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,963

There's never been 'a best PC' for DS and neither will there ever be... Think of what you're gonna do with DS , then go for the rig that you can afford cost-effectively, esp. Nvidia graphics card / RAM etc. as above-mentioned, then you may have the chance of 'Happy Rendering'...

• ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 748
    edited May 2023

I apologize for a double post, but... crosswind brought back some memories for me:

crosswind said:

There's never been 'a best PC' for DS and neither will there ever be... Think of what you're gonna do with DS , then go for the rig that you can afford cost-effectively, esp. Nvidia graphics card / RAM etc. as above-mentioned, then you may have the chance of 'Happy Rendering'...

I couldn't agree more here, because.. as mentioned above: this brought me back 4 or so years ago. Before 2019 I was using a 32bit (!) Windows 7 PC for this stuff, and I've been a vivid Daz Studio user for a long time now. I mean.. I'm pretty sure that most people were already way into 64bit back then, HECK, I'll even wager that most of the people here were using Iray.

Yah, not me... 2018?  5 years back now?  3Delight, 32bit and I had both a ton of fun, but also managed to attract a fair bit of attention to myself and my renders. 

Sorry for the brief vent but... I am in so much agreement with crosswind here!

Post edited by ShelLuser on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,963

ShelLuser said:

I apologize for a double post, but... crosswind brought back some memories for me:

crosswind said:

I couldn't agree more here, because.. as mentioned above: this brought me back 4 or so years ago. Before 2019 I was using a 32bit (!) Windows 7 PC for this stuff, and I've been a vivid Daz Studio user for a long time now. I mean.. I'm pretty sure that most people were already way into 64bit back then, HECK, I'll even wager that most of the people here were using Iray.

Yah, not me... 2018?  5 years back now?  3Delight, 32bit and I had both a ton of fun, but also managed to attract a fair bit of attention to myself and my renders. 

Sorry for the brief vent but... I am in so much agreement with crosswind here!

I'm impressed ~~ definitely  yeslaugh

• crosswind said:

Never a truer word said... And my top tip would be: Don't bother with buying new computer hardware, buy the top machines of a few years ago on Ebay. I decided on a mid-range specced HP Z440 from Ebay about 4 years ago. Cost me UKP 275 at the time with an E5-1630 v3 CPU, 32Gb RAM and a 4Gb Nvidia Quadro K4200.

My second tip would be: Keep in mind that PC's are component machines; if you buy a decent base you can then upgrade over time as your Daz/3D skills improve.

In my case, I've upgraded the Z440's Nvidia videocard through several generations:

Quadro K4200, 4Gb VRAM -> Quadro M5000 8Gb VRAM ->  RTX A4000 16Gb VRAM. All sourced from Ebay.

The resale of the previous cards has kept the amount of capital 'sunk' into the video card to about UKP 350.

Most importantly, I've not felt that Daz was 'too slow' at any point. The upgraded machine has kept tred with the development of my Daz skills and with what I was doing 'Artistically'. The RTX A4000 is great for what I do now, but would have been overkill a few years back, and truth be told I wouldn't have been able to afford it.. Also, relative to its performance I don't feel the RTX A4000 drinks too much electro-juice when rendering.

Hope this helps in some small way.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,661

privatepixels99 said:

My second tip would be: Keep in mind that PC's are component machines; if you buy a decent base you can then upgrade over time as your Daz/3D skills improve.

This is one of the best tips.

The usual prebuilt bargains are built as cheap as possible and may not be upgradable the way one wants. 

• crosswind said:

Never a truer word said... And my top tip would be: Don't bother with buying new computer hardware, buy the top machines of a few years ago on Ebay. I decided on a mid-range specced HP Z440 from Ebay about 4 years ago. Cost me UKP 275 at the time with an E5-1630 v3 CPU, 32Gb RAM and a 4Gb Nvidia Quadro K4200.

In my case, I've upgraded the Z440's Nvidia videocard through several generations:

Quadro K4200, 4Gb VRAM -> Quadro M5000 8Gb VRAM ->  RTX A4000 16Gb VRAM. All sourced from Ebay.

The resale of the previous cards has kept the amount of capital 'sunk' into the video card to about UKP 350.

Most importantly, I've not felt that Daz was 'too slow' at any point. The upgraded machine has kept tred with the development of my Daz skills and with what I was doing 'Artistically'. The RTX A4000 is great for what I do now, but would have been overkill a few years back, and truth be told I wouldn't have been able to afford it.. Also, relative to its performance I don't feel the RTX A4000 drinks too much electro-juice when rendering.

Hope this helps in some small way.

Thanks bro, this surely helps and also makes me save some money.