.OBJ UDIMs not detected

Hello,

Is there a way, from Blender to DAZ, to make DAZ recognize UDIMs tiles?

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,798

DAZ can recognize UDIM info. stored in obj file. You just export obj format from blender with UV coordinates option, that'll do. You even can check the data by opening obj file, check 'vt' relevant data...

• arthenicsarthenics Posts: 141

ho...

The tiles are accessible in Substance, if I import the obj in Blender it's still fine, tiles are visible again but where can I access the tiles in DAZ UI then? Surface only shows one whole material without any tile reference.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,911

if you meant the DAZ studio Viewport UV mapping

THAT does not support UDIM View

doesn't mean it is not UDIM mapped

I was caught out by that a few times until I checked the same obj in other softwares like Carrara that do show the entire UV not just the bounding square

edited May 2023

Ho.. Daz is not like those software. I'm afraid you may only use Texture Atlas to just overview 'UV tiles'...

SNAG-2023-5-10-0003.png
    1518 x 1302 - 417K
    Post edited by crosswind on

I think I start to get how it works.

But... it doesn't look like I can update materials that way. Do I have to have one material per tile in the.OBJ to make it appear in "surface" where we can change/update textures?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,911

arthenics said:

I think I start to get how it works.

But... it doesn't look like I can update materials that way. Do I have to have one material per tile in the.OBJ to make it appear in "surface" where we can change/update textures?

yes, you still need a separate surface for each UDIM square 

Not sure of what you're gonna do.. but if you use some external application like Pt, Mari or blender etc. to make textures, just export a single obj. You have no way to 'make textures' in Ds but can only use shaders...

Yup, I know. In fact in Substance, One material (as Blender mean them) is needed to work properly with UV tiles workflow since Substance recognize tiles; while in DAZ, each "surface" (seam delimited area) need to have the corresponding material...  I had hope to bypass the constraint but there's no choice I need to export two objects, one for substance with one material, one for daz with several materials. sigh...

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,215
    edited May 2023

arthenics said:

Yup, I know. In fact in Substance, One material (as Blender mean them) is needed to work properly with UV tiles workflow since Substance recognize tiles; while in DAZ, each "surface" (seam delimited area) need to have the corresponding material...  I had hope to bypass the constraint but there's no choice I need to export two objects, one for substance with one material, one for daz with several materials. sigh...

A single surface group can bridge multiple UV islands on a given tile, or even mutliple tiles, but not mutliple tiles that are to have distinct maps as there is no way to tell it to use Map1 for Tile1, Map2 for Tile2 etc. I had rather assumed, without attemtping to check, this would be a geernal requirement for tiled workflows.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

To make it short :

I was not expecting to have DAZ to "guess" what image goes to what tile but at least, since it can "read" the UDIM parameters, to "expose" the tiles a way that allow to update the material properties (be it image or values).

If it can read UDIMs, it should be able to accept parameters that allow to update what is going to the 1001, what is going to the 1002 etc. That's the interest of UDIMs. And DAZ waste half of it since it doesn't expose them directly.