Save scene issue

vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,638

For some reason, whenever I save a scene I am working on, DAZ Studio becomes unresponsive.

It saves the scene just fine, but the little spinning blue wheel just continues to spin forever.

I have to forcibly close down DAZ Studio from the Tasks (CTRL-ALT-DELETE). and then open the scene again to continue working on it.

Is anyone else having this issue beside me?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,696

Is it also saving a thumbnail OK? I've not heard of this with scenes, but people have had the issue with some kinds of preset.

• vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,638

Richard Haseltine said:

Is it also saving a thumbnail OK? I've not heard of this with scenes, but people have had the issue with some kinds of preset.

Yes. It saves the thumbnail as well. So it's OK except it's really annoying to have to take down the program to resume working on the scene.

It's doing this with everything now, not just one scene or two. 

I looked in the log file for a clue but all it says is Saving and nothing else appears in the log file.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,696
    edited May 2023

Perhaps an issue communicating with th database - which suggest you risk database corruption (if that isn't already present) by force-quitting. First of all I wuld suggest exporting user data, just in case (Content Library option menu>Content DB Maintenance, check Export User Data, click Accept). Then try setting up a new content directory set, with a new database location, and see how quick saves are there. You can do, that first making a copy of the current set, through Edit>Preferences (Daz Studio >Preferences for a Mac) and clicking the Content Directory Manager button in the content tab - first put a check next to the current set and click the Copy button, then Select teh database path and click Edit to choose a new location for a clean database.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Richard Haseltine said:

Perhaps an issue communicating with th database - which suggest you risk database corruption (if that isn't already present) by force-quitting. First of all I wuld suggest exporting user data, just in case (Content Library option menu>Content DB Maintenance, check Export User Data, click Accept). Then try setting up a new content directory set, with a new database location, and see how quick saves are there. You can do, that first making a copy of the current set, through Edit>Preferences (Daz Studio >Preferences for a Mac) and clicking the Content Directory Manager button in the content tab - first put a check next to the current set and click the Copy button, then Select teh database path and click Edit to choose a new location for a clean database.

Thank you. When I have some free time I will try this. 

I have just exported the user data to be on the safe side in the interim.

I was able to fix the problem, but not sure why it fixed it.

1. First I saved the User Data as Richard suggested.

2. Then I logged in to DAZ Studio so that the metadata could be updated. There were about 60 products that updated.

3. I rebooted my computer after the above two steps.

4. Saved a scene in DAZ Studio without any issues.

But darned if I know what the issue was, or which step fixed it.

I'm just glad it's fixed.