What exactly does the Create Category utility function do, please

Could someone please kindly explain what exactly the Create Category does ?  It appears as an option when I right-click on an item in the content library.  I need to go through the default hierarchy it presents, then click accept. What's happening after that ?

Post edited by ibr_remote aka infinity10 on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,727

You meant 'Categorize' ?

If you assign a category to the item in this way, there'll be a record entry written to cms database, meaning this item has the category you assigned. Then if you go to Smart Content - Files Tab, select the Category you just assigned from the left hierarchy, that item will be under the selected category (right list) ~ So this function is just for categorization and quick searching...

• edited April 2023

crosswind said:

You meant 'Categorize' ?

If you assign a category to the item in this way, there'll be a record entry written to cms database, meaning this item has the category you assigned. Then if you go to Smart Content - Files Tab, select the Category you just assigned from the left hierarchy, that item will be under the selected category (right list) ~ So this function is just for categorization and quick searching...

Thanks for your reply.  I needed to be sure I was doing the right thing for non-Daz3D content that does not have metadata. When I select Default, the script automatically scans the folder hierarchy, so I was wondering if the correct category would be automatically applied.

Post edited by ibr_remote aka infinity10 on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,727

ibr_remote aka infinity10 said:

crosswind said:

You meant 'Categorize' ?

Thanks for your reply.  I needed to be sure I was doing the right thing for non-Daz3D content that does not have metadata. When I select Default, the script automatically scans the folder hierarchy, so I was wondering if the correct category would be automatically applied.

No matter the item is from daz.com or a 3rd-party, or has metadata or not, you just assign a category which's stored in cms database to the item..  That's fine.