DAZ often running very slowly

I have been getting DAZ Studio often running very slowly for no apparent reason. When I click on a content folder the contents usually show up instantly, but often it will show a loading symbol, and take about 20 seconds, even if the folder is empty. Once this happens, I have to restart DAZ and reload everything. I first noticed that when I had quite a big scene loaded, but it also happens when there is nothing at all loaded in. If I change a slider, it will sit there for about 30 seconds after I finish the slider before it actually changes anything. When checking the task manager in windows, I can see that DAZ literally isn`t doing anything (will be using less than 1% CPU, and only a couple of hundred megs of RAM if nothing is loaded), so it makes no sense that it is lagging so hard. I tried to load a model in today, when it had gone laggy, and after waiting for 16 minutes, the model had still not loaded (It took over 5 minutes for it to clear an already empty scene). Today, no matter how many times I restart it, and with nothing else running in the background, it keeps doing this within 2 or 3 minutes of loading DAZ on every occation.

Also, maybe not related, but when I load most Genesis figures into DAZ, they will load in in about 10-15 seconds, but when loading either G8F or G8.1F, it usually takes about 3-4 minutes, which is a vast difference in loading times. When doing a lot of work, all these waiting times, quickly adds up to hours worth of lost time, and makes working with DAZ very difficult.

Any help would be hugely appriciated.

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,793

Info. about your Ds version and hardware spec. pls ~ and the latest log of Ds。。。

• What security software do you use, and what other low-level system tools? Anything that scans or monitors individual file actions has the potential to slow operations down.

The current Public Build includes a lot of work on loading times.

• DS 4.21

Intel core i5 9600K CPU @ 3.7 gz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060, Corsair Vengence RAM 16 gb

Windows 10 pro

AVG antivirus

The only things I have running in the background, other than standard system apps is the creative cloud framework, XP-Pen Pentablet, and Netlimiter.

I`m not at my PC atm to send the the log, but i`ll hopefully do this later on.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,534

57331.fury said:

DS 4.21

Intel core i5 9600K CPU @ 3.7 gz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060, Corsair Vengence RAM 16 gb

Windows 10 pro

AVG antivirus

The only things I have running in the background, other than standard system apps is the creative cloud framework, XP-Pen Pentablet, and Netlimiter.

Possible culprits from your setup;

16GB's of RAM is not that much and when Windows starts using virtual memory (storage drives) to compensate, it gets slower and unresponsive at times.
    Some antivirus programs are quite resource hungry, which in connection with small amount of RAM, can force Windows to use virtual memory even sooner.
    And then there's Windows itself, if you haven't yet disabled indexing on any and all drives, doing so can prevent the system getting unresponsive from time to time.

• I would be a little wary of Netlimiter - it seems to be a network activity tracker/controller and Daz Studio uses Internet Protocol on the local machine to communicate with postgreSQL for the Content Management System.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,427

Are you on a home computer that you would need Netlimiter running in the background or do you have limited bandwidth with your ISP? It's very possible that could be contributing to your issues, not the full cause but some of it.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,793
    edited April 2023

57331.fury said:

DS 4.21

Windows 10 pro

AVG antivirus

You may first check your RAM Used in Task Manager, sort the programs in the list by memory used, shut or deactivate the programs / background jobs that highly consume the RAM. Then try the manipulation again in DS, see if there's any improvement...
     BTW, I've never tried AVG but I heard that its scanning mechanism will delay system performance while probably eating up your RAM. Just check it anyway...

Post edited by crosswind on
  • Sorry for not replying sooner. Thanks for all the suggestions. I doubt netlimiter is causing any issues, since I am more often than not, not connected to the internet (Which makes netlimiter running completely pointless), so I will disable that when not connected from now on. AVG is a possible cause, but, but as mentioned, I am often not connected to the internet so it doesn`t have anything new to scan while that is the case, and I don`t have to set to do auto-scans. However certain things about AVG recently have caused me to want to replace it, so this I will look to do.

Yes my memory is low, but this should only start causing issues with bigger scenes loaded, and not with a completely empty scene within 1 minute of loading DS.

Windows indexing, hmm. There`s another possible cause right there and seems to me to be one of the bigger possiblities. Gonna have to Google it, but I will get that disabled and see if that makes any improvements.

Thanks for the helpful tips guys. At least I now have some things I can look into to hopefully get this resolved. Although I have to say, Since I posted this, it hasn`t done it once :P