Free Software that Makes Life Easier

11314151618

Comments

  • head waxhead wax Posts: 5,506
    DaremoK3 said:

    I installed ShaderMap 4.  It states on the start-up splash screen that upgrading to Pro will give you watermark free maps, which implies that the non-commercial version maps are watermarked.

    I am not getting any watermarked maps.  Neither within the software, sending maps to an external editor, or even when saving.

    Now, this could be because I have version 2 Pro installed with an active license, but I find it hard to believe my V2 license is working for this new version (always a paid upgrade).  However, it could be a glitch, and my license activated Pro functionality in SM4.

    Usually, there is a crippled demo (non-savable/no exports) one can download to test the software, and this is the first time I have ever seen him offering the software for non-commercial with savable attributes.  So, the splash screen could be left over from a decision to open up the software to non-commercial use with no watermarks.

    Please, test it out and see.  Like I said, I am not getting watermarks, but you guys know my variable.

    If you do get watermarks, then he is perpetrating false advertising (that would just be a demo - not even usable for ones own personal work), and I apologize to anyone burned from this.  If this is the case, then I just lost all respect for him, and won't be supporting his future efforts.

    Sorry for any inconvenience if it does not work as advertised.

    DaremoK3, program works wonderfully thank you so much for the heads up. No water marks here.

    Puts out nice maps here is some terrain made using the displacment map and normal map generated from a landscape photograph.

    The smoother one also has the displcamet map in t he shader.

     

     

    Doc2.jpg
    2000 x 1144 - 1M
    Doc3.jpg
    2000 x 1144 - 1M
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 4,164

    I never thought of using this sort of app on a landscape photo - great idea!

  • head waxhead wax Posts: 5,506

    thanks I guess I am lazy :)

  • ProPoseProPose Posts: 231
    DaremoK3 said:

    I installed ShaderMap 4.  It states on the start-up splash screen that upgrading to Pro will give you watermark free maps, which implies that the non-commercial version maps are watermarked.

    I am not getting any watermarked maps.  Neither within the software, sending maps to an external editor, or even when saving.

    Now, this could be because I have version 2 Pro installed with an active license, but I find it hard to believe my V2 license is working for this new version (always a paid upgrade).  However, it could be a glitch, and my license activated Pro functionality in SM4.

    Usually, there is a crippled demo (non-savable/no exports) one can download to test the software, and this is the first time I have ever seen him offering the software for non-commercial with savable attributes.  So, the splash screen could be left over from a decision to open up the software to non-commercial use with no watermarks.

    Please, test it out and see.  Like I said, I am not getting watermarks, but you guys know my variable.

    If you do get watermarks, then he is perpetrating false advertising (that would just be a demo - not even usable for ones own personal work), and I apologize to anyone burned from this.  If this is the case, then I just lost all respect for him, and won't be supporting his future efforts.

    Sorry for any inconvenience if it does not work as advertised.

    I'm not getting any watermarks either, and again that could be cause I'm upgrading from ShaderMap3.  Totally pleased with the update.

  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 4,164

    No watermarks for me and I have never had ShaderMap before.

  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 833

    Don't see any watermarks, but I don't know how to invert normals on the normal map.

  • Nice tool to pin down ideas:

    https://wonderunit.com/storyboarder/

  • DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 523

    Thank you for the heads-up on that incredible storyboarding software, rock livrette.  You do indeed rock!

    I loved the about section - great soapbox.  Man, they must have been burned a few times...

    The only issue I have (before even trying it out) is it seems to be hard-coded to play with Photoshop.  You would think an open-source software would allow you to link to other open-source such as GIMP, Krita, Inkscape, MyPaint, etc.  Hell, I would even like to be able to link it to other commercial software I own such as MangaStudio, Project Dogwaffle, and etc.

    I already ran into a major roadblock with their auto-detection of user OS.  The only link for a download supplied to me is for Linux, because I am on the internet (virtually - in memory only) with Puppy Linux on my Windows 7 PC.  I need a Windows download, and have sent them an email regarding this.

    I hope they send me the correct download link, because this software looks great.

    Thanks again for the heads-up!

  • DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 523
    edited September 12

    I am glad to hear from you guys that SM4 is working as advertised.  He's now at top of my list to purchase an upgrade when I have some money.

    Great example, headwax.  I hope you get a lot of use out of it to add to your NPR work.

     

    Vyusur :

    Have you found it yet?

    If not (or for anyone else needing it), here is a quick mini-tut on how to invert normals.

    * From the author (RSI) of the software on his forums :

    " Bring the Normal Map into the Normal Editor.

    1. Select the pixels you want to invert
    2. Copy and paste the pixels (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V)
    3. Select the new layer
    4. Double click the new layer (in the Layer Control) to bring up the Layer Profile
    5. In the Normals section, check Invert. "

    * And here is a visual rundown how to do this (1-4 for the entire map, 5-7 for selection - both, same edit) :

    Hope this helps...

    01.jpg
    1000 x 650 - 302K
    02.jpg
    1000 x 650 - 312K
    03.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 200K
    04.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 178K
    05.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 63K
    06.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 46K
    07.jpg
    500 x 700 - 89K
    Post edited by DaremoK3 on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 833

    DaremoK3, thank you very much for the link and for the tutorial. The interface doesn't look similar to the one on my computer. But it seems that I figured it out.

  • head waxhead wax Posts: 5,506
  • head waxhead wax Posts: 5,506

    free planes - look pretty good!!! non commercial use

    http://www.colacola.se/expo_303.htm

  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 5,942

    Thanks for these links

  • head waxhead wax Posts: 5,506

    pleasure - all for one, and one for all

  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 833

    Thank you for the links!

  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 4,164

    The planes look good, but I am particularly interested in the HDRIs - just downloading a couple to try out. I may well sign up as a Patreon to support his efforts.

  • Well.... not free software actually but maybe worth to mention:

    Since construction industry is going 3D with BIM (Building Information Modeling) you can find more and more industry sites that provide free 3D content (free, but you have to log in on most sites)

    Here some examples

    Flooring      http://flooringstudio.esignserver2.com/model.do   

    BIM              https://www.polantis.com/

    Wall Textures      http://en.petersen-tegl.dk/visualization/

     

  • head waxhead wax Posts: 5,506

    free ashampoo limited time? 

    https://sharewareonsale.com/s/free-ashampoo-snap-6-19-99-value

    I think you can make tutorial videos with it

  • head waxhead wax Posts: 5,506
    Vyusur said:

    Thank you for the links!

     

    pleasure

     

  • Gusf1Gusf1 Posts: 129

      Is there a software that allows you to crop a video file.  I need to get rid of extraneous things arround the main action of the video.  This goes on for the full video in the same place.  I know this is slightly off topic on my part, but it would also be usefull for other projects as well.

                           Gus

  • th3Digitth3Digit Posts: 15,899
    Gusf1 said:

      Is there a software that allows you to crop a video file.  I need to get rid of extraneous things arround the main action of the video.  This goes on for the full video in the same place.  I know this is slightly off topic on my part, but it would also be usefull for other projects as well.

                           Gus

    Hitfilm Express is free for a facebook or Twitter like and will do it and many other things

  • Gusf1Gusf1 Posts: 129
    th3Digit said:
    Gusf1 said:

      Is there a software that allows you to crop a video file.  I need to get rid of extraneous things arround the main action of the video.  This goes on for the full video in the same place.  I know this is slightly off topic on my part, but it would also be usefull for other projects as well.

                           Gus

    Hitfilm Express is free for a facebook or Twitter like and will do it and many other things

                   Thank you, I'll try that.

                               Gus

     

     

  • th3Digit said:

    Hitfilm Express is free for a facebook or Twitter like and will do it and many other things

    Thanks to head wax I found it here @ https://sharewareonsale.com

    HitFilm Express 2017 (100% discount)

    So HitFilm Express is a good VideoEditor? We will see I tryed Blender and Photoshop Videoediting before...sad

     

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 13,217
    th3Digit said:

    Hitfilm Express is free for a facebook or Twitter like and will do it and many other things

    So HitFilm Express is a good VideoEditor? We will see I tryed Blender and Photoshop Videoediting before...sad

    It has some powerful features, but doesn't seem as easy (or smooth) to use as either Vegas Movie Studio (cheaper that Vegas Pro) or Corel's Video Studio Pro (also inexpensive), both of which I like a lot.

    My copy of Vegas is older - back when Sony still owned it - but works really well for editing video clips together in a very easy way, while still having powerful features for getting great results. My copy of Video Studio is much more up-to-date and has a LOT to it and it's easy to use. Video Studio Pro also comes with a really nice Screen Capture utility that works very well and is really easy to record with. 

    I haven't used the latest HitFilm express (2017) yet for editing, but it has some impressive tools. I really like how it can go between compositing and editing on the fly. So I'm planning to really sit down with it and get used to editing with it. Perhaps I just wasn't grooving with it right because I'm so used to using Vegas Movie Studio, which is really easy to use. It even has a feature that will open an interactive tutorial on doing things while working on our own projects - pop-up instructions on what to do in order to do what we're trying to achieve.

    Also like to mention that (even though I am a SharWare-On-Sale member) you don't need that to get HitFilm Express for free. They let us download it here as well as buy add-on packs for it. I bought a few, but the Pro version comes with all of them, and much more, which I intend to eventually buy, so I only bought what I really wanted to use.

    They also have an extensive amount of free tutorials on their YouTube Channel

    Here, Simon Jones (one of my VFX instructors) briefly introduces Editing Movies in HitFilm 4 Express (the most recent previous version) for free

    Here's the video he was making

    Here is a playlist of the behind-the-scenes on how to make that video: Heads Up - HitFlim 4 Express

  • Gusf1Gusf1 Posts: 129

        Ok, I got HitFilm Express.  I have a bunch of videos that have a sort of picture in picture effect going on.  The video is set on a larger background that I would like to remove, making the video into fullscreen.  Can anyone explain to me how to do this or point me to a tutorial that explains it in simple form?

                           Gus

  • th3Digitth3Digit Posts: 15,899

    https://hitfilm.com/video-tutorials#/hitfilm-express-tutorials

    when you drag your importedvideo to the timeline it will appear on the preview screen top right

    there you can drag, rotate and resize it using an onscreen gizmo

    you can keyframe that too if you want to do video in video effects if you have more than one on the timeline in layers.

  • th3Digitth3Digit Posts: 15,899

    https://youtu.be/7rXWTJzmbZ8

    a nice starter tute

  • Gusf1Gusf1 Posts: 129

    Thank you very much, I'll try it tonioght.

               Gus

  • th3Digitth3Digit Posts: 15,899
    edited October 28

    http://www.algodoo.com/
    oh wow this is fun

     

    a video with me playing

    Post edited by th3Digit on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 13,217

    !!!

Sign In or Register to comment.